Incowrimo 2019

george c

Hi Folks,

It's almost that time of the year, again.

I enjoyed last year and am looking forward to this year.

https://incowrimo.org/

Hope we all have a best-ever New Year in 2019.

Regards,

George

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asnailmailer

• Misfit

• Runnin_Ute

• mauckcg

The updated site for 2019:

https://incowrimo-2019.org/

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Looks interesting. Bit of a challenge to crank out that many letters in that short of time especially when working full time.

Looks interesting. Bit of a challenge to crank out that many letters in that short of time especially when working full time.

But doable. I have done it for the last 6+ years. One per day? Doesn't always happen. My goal is always the equivalent - 28 for the month or more.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

But doable. I have done it for the last 6+ years. One per day? Doesn't always happen. My goal is always the equivalent - 28 for the month or more.

I'm in. Just ordered some Tomoe River A5 paper for my Robert Oster inks and some nice envelopes to put them in. This'll be interesting.

Interesting what is a challenge to each of us when working fulltime.

I write several postcards and letters worth of posts and emails daily, a letter would be one more. So, I'm in.

If doing incowrimo from the US, buy forever stamps now before the postal rates rise on January 27.

Edited by cattar

Interesting what is a challenge to each of us when working fulltime.

I write several postcards and letters worth of posts and emails daily, a letter would be one more. So, I'm in.

If doing incowrimo from the US, buy forever stamps now before the postal rates rise on January 27.

I did not know stamps were going up. i'll have to get some more.

Nothing lasts forever, not even 50-cent postage stamps. The U.S. Postal Service says the cost of its Forever stamp will rise five cents on Jan. 27 to 55 cents, making for the largest percentage increase since 1991.

Each additional letter ounce will cost 15 cents, which is a decrease from 21 cents. The cost to mail a 2-ounce stamped letter will actually drop from 71 cents to 70 cents. The cost of a postcard remains fixed at 35 cents.

International letters pricing will stay the same ($1.15), as will postcards. ($0.35)

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

I'm going to try this for the first time this year, found out about it a few months back and thought it would be a bit of fun. Trying to work out who to send letters to.

Edit: Thanks for the link to the 2019 page, hadn't found that one and seems they've altered their address system so your address is only public during February, that's very nice.

Edited by Zephyr259

The two sites are different, run by different people. The one without the year, is the "official" site but whether it will be updated is another matter although there is a participant map for 2019, it looks to be recycled. 2016 it wasn't updated and so someone thought to make a new site for the following year.

!

Yes! I just realized how close we are this evening and went to check out the website. It is a challenge, so I let it be fun and not stress about getting all 28 out. I've amassed some nice penpals from previous InCos, but I like writing to new people and don't mind if it doesn't turn into a correspondence.

I'll come up with something eventually.

The two sites are different, run by different people. The one without the year, is the "official" site but whether it will be updated is another matter although there is a participant map for 2019, it looks to be recycled. 2016 it wasn't updated and so someone thought to make a new site for the following year.

Thanks for this explanation; I wondered why there was more than one site. I'm in (it'll be my third year), and if anyone wants me to write to you, PM me an address.

Liz

Looking forward to this year. 2018 was my first and I enjoyed it.

C

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

I think I'll use the comment thread on the incowrimo.org site, since the incowrimo-2019 site is still not providing space for any profile info, and is still only offering the addresses as HTML text vs something like CSV. Ctrl-F searching doesn't cut it for me to pick out my 28 addresses out of over a thousand. I either want to sort, or have a way to pull a random address off the list. Sendsomething.net offers that and, come to think of it, I imagine anyone there would welcome an InCoWriMo letter.

The disqus thread on incowrimo.org seems to have some lively participation so far and people are posting some details along with addresses.

Are there any places to get mostly FP hobbyist addresses for InCo? It's great that the event has become so popular, but it seems to be bringing in a lot of people who aren't into pens and, well, I'd rather have at least that one thing in common. Plus, FP people have more colorful letters ;) I guess gel pen people could as well. Anyone get colorful non-FP ink last year?

Well, we've turned at least one non-FP incowrimoer into a Twsbi/Pilot user. She's even been to a pen show!

As for profiles, some have put a few words in the comments.

If you want to find penpals via profiles, then there are many penpal sites out there where users have profiles, many many well filled out, one to mind even has categories of correspondence - email, snailmail, language learning..... and people can put in their language proficiencies, etc. (edit - I had a quick look and there are profiles of fountain pen-loving people.)

Gel pens can be quite fun too! I've used them, and received letters written with them (even though the sender does have fountain/dip pens).

One thing in common? The wish to do/enjoy snail mail, although that doesn't mean every correspondence would work out.

I hate to say this, dear radellaf, there's more to letters than fountain pens and ink! :yikes:

Edited by aworldofsnailmail

!

I should also add that there can be a high "failure" rate even via the more traditional penpal websites. I suppose it is like life - how many of you are still friends/in contact with those you were at school with, or from your first job, etc...

I am looking forward to February. Come on January, hurry up and move over! I have my pens cleaned and refilled, printed return address labels, printed some pictures too, and found my stash of newspaper clippings...

!

This is tempting. An excuse to practice my writing and meet new people.

Can I ask about ink? Sorry, this is betraying my age but I didn't write letters as a youth and then the internet happened.

Most of my fountain pen ink is water soluble. Can I use regular ink to write a letter? Will the letter get wet and the address run?

I have the Noodler's waterproof black ink (the one with the fish), but it takes ages to dry. Even after blotting, it still smudges for almost a minute. I find this very difficult to work with but once it sets, it doesn't smudge.

Also, what does one write about?

petrichor

For the address on the envelope, some will either use clear sticky tape over it or rub candlewax over. The wax does work!

As for the letter, I use all sorts of ink, mostly Diamine inks including the shimmers. When I go to post them, if there is lots of rain forecast, then I will either hand over at a post office or post in an indoor posting box.

I have received letters wrapped in cellophane/clingfilm inside the envelope.

I did receive wet post after a week away - it was still all readable, some just needed to dry out!

As for what you write about - almost anything.

!