What Happened To Bottled Sailor Ink?

katerchen

I have a strong preference to blacks and blue blacks, so these were the ones I looked at:

https://andersonpens.com/sailor-jentle-blue-black-ink-50ml-bottle/

https://andersonpens.com/sailor-kiwa-guro-pigmented-nano-black-ink-50ml-bottle/

https://andersonpens.com/sailor-sei-boku-pigmented-nano-blue-black-ink-50ml-bottle/

https://andersonpens.com/sailor-souboku-pigmented-nano-blue-black-ink-50ml-bottle/

they all come up as "notify me".

I wonder if their current stock is leftovers and when they are gone, they are gone.

-k

nibs dot com has all in stock except souboku.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• bass1193

• Driften

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The longer I spend in this hobby the more I appreciate Noodler's insistence on good value for the dollar, say what you like about the man's personality or politics his ink is a good deal at least in the US, though I know shipping overseas makes it a dicier proposition.

The longer I spend in this hobby the more I appreciate Noodler's insistence on good value for the dollar, say what you like about the man's personality or politics his ink is a good deal at least in the US, though I know shipping overseas makes it a dicier proposition.

Noodler's is not cheaper than Diamine, though, in terms of prices at which the respective manufacturers want to sell their inks. Diamine is a great deal everywhere, especially when retailers such as Cult Pens and La Couronne du Comte offer free international shipping (past certain minimum spend thresholds), and fountainfeder.eu and Bureau Direct offer reasonable shipping rates (including to the US) if you don't want to buy that much in one go.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

At least Mb isn't making the shoe smaller and smaller. You still get a high quality ink in a high quality bottle in a high quality box. Price increases are kind of inevitable.inflation happens.

I don't agree with the prices of their limited edition inks. Those are stupid.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Noodler's is not cheaper than Diamine, though, in terms of prices at which the respective manufacturers want to sell their inks. Diamine is a great deal everywhere, especially when retailers such as Cult Pens and La Couronne du Comte offer free international shipping (past certain minimum spend thresholds), and fountainfeder.eu and Bureau Direct offer reasonable shipping rates (including to the US) if you don't want to buy that much in one go.

Right and wrong. Noodlers and diamine are neck and neck, but Noodlers is deliberately over saturated. Nathan tariff himself said he intends for many people to dilute his inks as much as 50%, which dramatically improves the value. If I was dead broke in the US I'd be using pilot BB, 350ml for 20 bucks is the king of ink deals.

Still can't argue that diamine, Monteverde, Birmingham and Noodlers inks are all great deals.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Fair enough.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Wow. I guess no more Sailor ink for me. Over the last 2 years I have bought 4 bottles of Sailor Jentle Blue so I have a good supply of that. I have a barely touched bottle of Kiwa-Guru which I am sure will be my one and only. When that is finished I will get Platinum nano. I have a 3/4 full bottle of Jentle Red, and an almost full bottle of Sailor brown from their Spring Colors line. All of these inks are good. Odd that Sailor is pulling these moves at a time when there are so many alternatives. Sure, their ink is excellent, but not worth the prices they will be rising to now that they are, apparently, being made exclusive and rare by design.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Over the last 2 years I have bought 4 bottles of Sailor Jentle Blue so I have a good supply of that.

I'll admit that I never took conscious note of the pricing and availability of Sailor Jentle Blue ink, but I'm sure Sailor still makes that and package it in 50ml bottles (of the new design with the rectangular footprint) for retail. I'll let you know when I see it on retailers' web sites outside of Japan.

No, Jentle Blue is just the standard blue dye ink Sailor makes.

https://andersonpens.com/sailor-jentle-blue-ink-50ml-bottle/ (product code 13-1000-240)

is now

http://www.sailor.co.jp/lineup/fountainpen-others/13-1007 (specifically, the ink with product code 13-1007-240)

with the new marketing and packaging Sailor has adopted.

The -240 part is the colour. Souten is -205. Sky High was -241, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by A Smug Dill

You know, part of me thinks this is all a result of Sailor seeing the many people calling their bottles the stupidest thing ever, and saying "fine! Suck on these prices, in a better bottle!" :lol:

You know, part of me thinks this is all a result of Sailor seeing the many people calling their bottles the stupidest thing ever, and saying "fine! Suck on these prices, in a better bottle!" :lol:

I find I'm more likely to lose my grip on the converter when filling from the new bottles with square footprints. (I have Sailor inks in both designs of 50ml bottles.) I don't actually find, say, the Pilot Iroshizuku 50ml bottles more practical than the round 50ml Sailor bottles, even though the Iroshizuku bottles are prettier.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I find I'm more likely to lose my grip on the converter when filling from the new bottles with square footprints. (I have Sailor inks in both design of 50ml bottles.) I don't actually find, say, the Pilot Iroshizuku 50ml bottles more practical than the round 50ml Sailor bottles, even though the Iroshizuku bottles are prettier.

I've never had an issue with the old ones, and also don't necessarily prefer rectangular bottles :lol: never tried my biggest nib, though, a Pilot 15. Pens with big nibs seem to be the sticking point because the internal wells in the old Sailor bottles weren't big enough for the gigantic statement nibs on higher-priced pens.

I'm talking about pilot ink, which is sold in black, blue-black, and red (I don't think blue was on offer) in 350mL bottles for about $20 USD. Standard pilot colors, not iroshizuku.

https://www.amazon.com/Ink-350ml-INK350BB-japan-import/dp/B001P35A74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546493197&sr=8-1&keywords=pilot+350+ml+ink

If you haven't tried the BB, I highly recommend it. it shades, it sheens, it's quite water resistant, and it's well behaved.

the 350mL bottle is obviously useless for filling from, but I just use a spare lamy T50 bottle.

I recently ordered the 70ml-size bottles of Pilot Blue/Black/Blue-Black from JetPens, so it's nice to know I can find a convenient refill for two of the three. (Odd that Blue isn't offered in addition, only Red.)

I can't fill a pen with a nib bigger than a #5 from a sailor bottle's cup. It's great for a lamy 2000 or a sheaffer snorkel but I flat out can't fill a mont blanc 149 from it without tilting a full bottle of sailor ink. J. herbin's 30mL bottles are worse, but not by a lot. And I can't fill any pen with a #6 or larger nib from the cup. I just moved all my sailor inks into akkerman bottles.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I can't fill a pen with a nib bigger than a #5 from a sailor bottle's cup. It's great for a lamy 2000 or a sheaffer snorkel but I flat out can't fill a mont blanc 149 from it without tilting a full bottle of sailor ink. J. herbin's 30mL bottles are worse, but not by a lot. And I can't fill any pen with a #6 or larger nib from the cup. I just moved all my sailor inks into akkerman bottles.

Most of my pens are #6 or smaller, and never tried any larger than that in my Sailor bottles, other than to syringe-fill cartridges. Thanks for putting this in terms that make more sense :D

The first thing I did with any Sailor bottle was take tweezers and pull out the plastic insert so my nibs could be free in there.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

The first thing I did with any Sailor bottle was take tweezers and pull out the plastic insert so my nibs could be free in there.

+1