The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

First Time Using Rhodia Paper

rhodia

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MRose

MRose

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:43

Well after 2 years of enjoying the World of Fountain Pens I've finally got my hands on Rhodia Paper, yes I know took too long. There is an explanation for it. You see, the only place I could find Rhodia paper was on Blick, which is an Art Store and the Rhodia notebooks and pads that they have are a little expensive. So every time I've approach the stand where these paper is I've always back away from it.

Then I went online, so the ones affordable were very small, I was not interest it, I want it a nice size pad or notebook that I could play with my fountain pens and inks. Finally one day I walk into a Michael's another big Art and Crafts store and boom! There it was, just perfect a nice Rhodia Dot Pad No. 16 - 80 sheets 80g/m2 -21.3lb -High Grade Vellum Paper, not to mentioned that I got it with a 50% Coupon. My hunt was over, went running back home filled up my pens and there...look how beautiful :wub:

I like the paper, doesn't bleed is very smooth and for the inks I'm using is perfect can't be happier. Now I can write letters to my friends in a nice smooth and elegant paper.

4B3F0EDF-A88E-4456-AA07-5129D391E9F0_zps

Edited by MRose, 02 January 2019 - 12:46.

FP's: Noodler's Charlie Pen, Noodler's King Philip Ahab, JinHao X450 Blue, JinHao X750 Gold, Jinhao 599 Transparent, Hero 366 Green, Hero 9626, Hero 329-A Jinhao Shark Black and Green,Jinhao 992 Coffee, Lamy Safari Black, Lanbitou /2 Transparent/ 1 Black /1 Red/1 Beige, Hero 9075 Black, Twsbi Go Saphire, Jinhao Porcelain Horses, Pilot Vanishing Point Black
INKS: Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Baystate Blue - Apache Sunset - Bullet Proof Black - Blue Nose Bear - Black Swan In Australian Roses - Widow Maker - 54th Massachusetts - Navajo Turquoise - Burning Rome - General of The Armies
OTHER INKS: Thortons - Green / Pelikan-Blue / J. Herbin 1670- Ocean Blue / Diamine Skulls and Roses

Sponsored Content

#2 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 19:59

Enjoy! Your post reminded me I should try some dot grid Rhodia, I still have a blank pad.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#3 MRose

MRose

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2019 - 22:41

Enjoy! Your post reminded me I should try some dot grid Rhodia, I still have a blank pad.

Thank you, I love it very smooth paper. The only thing I think that wetter inks take longer to dry like Apache Sunset took for ever...but go for it I recommend it :D

FP's: Noodler's Charlie Pen, Noodler's King Philip Ahab, JinHao X450 Blue, JinHao X750 Gold, Jinhao 599 Transparent, Hero 366 Green, Hero 9626, Hero 329-A Jinhao Shark Black and Green,Jinhao 992 Coffee, Lamy Safari Black, Lanbitou /2 Transparent/ 1 Black /1 Red/1 Beige, Hero 9075 Black, Twsbi Go Saphire, Jinhao Porcelain Horses, Pilot Vanishing Point Black
INKS: Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Baystate Blue - Apache Sunset - Bullet Proof Black - Blue Nose Bear - Black Swan In Australian Roses - Widow Maker - 54th Massachusetts - Navajo Turquoise - Burning Rome - General of The Armies
OTHER INKS: Thortons - Green / Pelikan-Blue / J. Herbin 1670- Ocean Blue / Diamine Skulls and Roses

#4 Restored

Restored

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 20:16

I saw some pads at Michaels here for between $5-10. 

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 21:21

Unfortunately for me, the selection at my local Michaels is pretty limited.  I tend to get mine at a small chain art supply called "Artists and Craftsmen Supply" (although there is now a Dick Block store in Pittsburgh, I haven't seen much in the way of Rhodia at that location -- although I rather like the EqoQua dot grid notebook I picked up there).

To the OP: no, Rhodia isn't cheap.  I keep looking at the Rhodiarama journals and walking away when I see the price....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 John-XXII

John-XXII

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2019 - 18:36

Great paper i am currently using Rhodia.

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

#7 Thymen

Thymen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:20

I have several Rhodia pads, like them. However I mainly write on cheaper college blocks, they are way cheaper.

The Rhodia paper, being very smooth, does not 'absorb' ink as the college block paper does. Which it by intent.

But the 'ink acceptance' of Rhodia is also more sensitive to the oils from your skin; starting at the top everything is fine, but when I reach the part where I rested my palm, the ink sometimes flows a little less good and the pen skips occasionally. So I always put a loose sheet under my palm to prevent my skin from touching the paper.

With the college blocks no need to do this.

#8 Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 16:29

I need to ask a noob question. Since I've only recently started looking at high-end papers, I'm surprised by the number of offerings with dots. At first I assumed that for papers from Japan (Midori) this was helpful to people writing in Kanji vertically. Do western writers also like the dotted paper to help carefully measure their letters for cursive?

I wonder if I'd find it more distraction than help. I'm just not accustomed to seeing dotted paper.

#9 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 16:54

I am not (usually!) writing kanji and I like dots. They lay down a very light pattern and sort of become invisible.

#10 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 17:11

I need to ask a noob question. Since I've only recently started looking at high-end papers, I'm surprised by the number of offerings with dots. At first I assumed that for papers from Japan (Midori) this was helpful to people writing in Kanji vertically. Do western writers also like the dotted paper to help carefully measure their letters for cursive?

I wonder if I'd find it more distraction than help. I'm just not accustomed to seeing dotted paper.

Kanji is all Greek to me :).  My writing is all English (although sometimes with math), and usually cursive.  But I like dotgrid paper.  Horizontally the dots are like lines for writing on, but less visually intrusive than an actual line.  Vertically... for me that has nothing to do with forming/spacing characters while writing.  It's a useful guideline for keeping indentation squared up.  Or when I'm drawing it helps keep things square (my drawing is more like engineering/drafting, not artistic).

#11 LyaT

LyaT

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:55

I keep looking at the Rhodiarama journals and walking away when I see the price....[/font]
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

It is good that you walked away from the Rhodiarama journals. Rhodia journals have the ivory color 90gsm paper. Rhodia pads have white color 80gsm paper. I love my Rhodia pads but hated my Rhodia goal book journal and webie journal. Rhodia journal paper are not consistent. Some of the booklet are nice, some are definitely not fountain pen friendly- the ink spread, shows through the page, all horrible things you can imagine. I found about 1/3 of the pages in my goal book being horrible.

The pads are good!

#12 honore

honore

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 14:23

I just picked up two Rhodia no 18 dotpads and I am VERY unhappy with them.  I am in the process of returning them because the paper exhibits feathering which is driving me nuts.

#13 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:28

I've never tried a Rhodia Dotpad No.18, but I hated the paper in my one and only Bloc Rhodia No.18 7mm-ruled notepad, which was nothing like its Bloc Rhodia No.16 counterparts in terms of feathering and bleed-through even with usually well-behaved inks. Thus I'm not buying any No.18 Rhodia products ever again, even if the per-sheet price works out cheaper than the No.16 products with the same page size and printed guide marks.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#14 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 18:42

I also happen to love my Rhodia dot grid no. 16... in fact you reminded me that I'm halfway through my last pad of this!  Egads, and my local brick and mortar supplier is on summer vacation right now!  >___<

... I'll live vicariously through you.  Enjoy your Rhodia experience to the fullest!  :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#15 rlb

rlb

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:05

Love my Dot padsi have them all over! They are a little wet but I just keep a sheet of blotting paper on the current page so when I close it everything stays neat and tidy!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rhodia

Sponsored Content

|