149 525/750 Nibs

Bill Nick

Apart from the obvious difference in the quality of the gold used in these nibs can any of the experts here explain the differences between 149s fitted with these different nibs or the significance of one over the other?

Were they perhaps options at some time, do they indicate the age of the pens maybe, were there different levels of the Meisterstuck 149s?

I'm just about to add one to my small collection and any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Nick

• Barry Gabay

• Tom Kellie

• siamackz

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You should look at the 149 trends table post on the forum to learn about the different nibsbover time. They have different characteristics

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Good morning BillNick, Happy New Year,

585, not 525 for the gold content

To my knowledge, there were not different levels of 149s, or any 100 series Montblancs. There were during 1950s at least, and perhaps into 60s, 200-level and 300-level Montblancs which were available with either steel or gold nibs. During WWII, the 130 series had steel alloy nibs when gold became too precious for pen production.

The switch from 14K to 18K, happened ca.1992. Prior to that date, there were 149s with both types of nibs. All else which follows is purely hearsay: French law required gold to be 18K. Once the Maastricht Treaty had been signed, it was easier for Montblanc to produce only one grade of nib which would sell in France, as well as in the rest of the EU, and worldwide. As, mentioned above, this may be pure fiction, but it is one of the stories which circulated back then among those of us with nothing better to discuss regarding our beloved Montblancs. I once heard a story about French customs police busting an auction because the catalogue listed old fountain pens with 14C nibs as "gold nibs," which did not meet the standard of the law. Certainly untrue. Though interesting, I do not know if there is any truth behind the Maastricht story. It does not account for Aurora nibs, for eg, which are 14C and which surely are sold in France.

As concerns the difference among 14K and 18K nibs, there is a design difference. If you look at an older 14C nib next to a newer 18K nib, you will see that the tines are longer and shoulders more narrow on the older model. This allowed for more softness and occasionally for flexibility among the 149 nibs. Despite the preference among many writers for 14 carat gold nibs, the 18K nibs I have owned and used on 149s have all been superb writers, as are all 149 nibs, in my opinion.

Will attempt to attach a photo.

Best wishes,

Barry

Edited by Barry Gabay

As concerns the difference among 14K and 18K nibs, there is a design difference. If you look at an older 14C nib next to a newer 18K nib, you will see that the tines are longer and shoulders more narrow on the older model. This allowed for more softness and occasionally for flexibility among the 149 nibs. Despite the preference among many writers for 14 carat gold nibs, the 18K nibs I have owned and used on 149s have all been superb writers, as are all 149 nibs, in my opinion.

~ Barry Gabay:

Thank you so much for the helpful post with image.

Not only BillNick but I benefit from your clarity of explanation.

My experience with 149 nibs has been that they're consistently superb writers.

No matter the nib width, whether fairly narrow, medium or in the broader range, 149s are reliable performers.

The illustrative image underscored your explanation. Much appreciated.

Tom K.

Good morning BillNick, Happy New Year,

585, not 525 for the gold content

To my knowledge, there were not different levels of 149s, or any 100 series Montblancs. There were during 1950s at least, and perhaps into 60s, 200-level and 300-level Montblancs which were available with either steel or gold nibs. During WWII, the 130 series had steel alloy nibs when gold became too precious for pen production.

The switch from 14K to 18K, happened ca.1992. Prior to that date, there were 149s with both types of nibs. All else which follows is purely hearsay: French law required gold to be 18K. Once the Maastricht Treaty had been signed, it was easier for Montblanc to produce only one grade of nib which would sell in France, as well as in the rest of the EU, and worldwide. As, mentioned above, this may be pure fiction, but it is one of the stories which circulated back then among those of us with nothing better to discuss regarding our beloved Montblancs. I once heard a story about French customs police busting an auction because the catalogue listed old fountain pens with 14C nibs as "gold nibs," which did not meet the standard of the law. Certainly untrue. Though interesting, I do not know if there is any truth behind the Maastricht story. It does not account for Aurora nibs, for eg, which are 14C and which surely are sold in France.

Best wishes,

Barry

Much appreciated, the "525" was just a typo.