Meghan Markle's Influence On Calligraphy?

Tasmith

Last week while looking at the calligraphy book section at my local Barnes & Noble, a young girl about 10 or 12 was shown the calligraphy books by a sales associate.

I couldn't help but think she was may have became interested in calligraphy by the recent video of Meghan Markle the Duchess of Sussex visiting the Royal Variety nursing home in England.

Meghan is a former calligrapher and can be seen using her calligraphy skills with a calligraphy marker pen at minute 12:35 and signing the guest book with a Lamy fountain pen at minute 15:20.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• Karmachanic

• inkstainedruth

• Ryan5

Royal etiquette obliges to fine writes(on publique also), but it is far from calligraphy.

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

Meghan Windsor?

edit: Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor - because we want Philip to be happy.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Meghan Windsor?

Yeah, that would technically be her married name. Of course during WWI the Royal family officially changed their name from Saxe-Coburg. Or, according to what I found online just now, "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha"....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@Karmachanic

I think they keep their surnames, but only use the first name and the title. You know,... the British. ;)

@Karmachanic

I think they keep their surnames, but only use the first name and the title. You know,... the British. ;)

"For the most part, members of the Royal Family who are entitled to the style and dignity of HRH Prince or Princess do not need a surname, but if at any time any of them do need a surname (such as upon marriage), that surname is Mountbatten-Windsor"

Actually, the last name of the Royal Family is more complicated. Queen Victoria asked her advisors what her name was. They concluded her family name was Wettin and the name of the house was Saxe Coburg and Gotha. Later due to the war, both were changed to Windsor, in perpetually. When Princess Elizabeth married Philip, she took his name. Only after she ascended to throne, did she become a Windsor. This raised the question of the name for the children. Not only did Prince Philip want his name, but a legal expert pointed out that children who take their mother's name are usually illegitimate. Thus, by compromise some members of the family could go by Windsor-Mountbatten. I forget what the limitation is, but I think it is great grand children of the sovereign. This is the same limitation placed on the inheritance of both the style HRH and the title of Prince. It is possible for therefore a Windsor-Mountbatten to be a Duke though. This will most likely be the case with the Duke of Sussex's descendants.

However, to say that the Duchess of Sussex is called Meghan Windsor-Mountbatten is wrong. Meghan Windsor is probably in some sense correct, but I doubt her ID says that. Here is where it gets real complicated, all the people entitled to the style of Prince, either have a title like Duke or Earl or are styled Prince X of Y, with Y being the title of their father. For example, Prince Harry's military uniform before he was made a duke read Wales, and not Windsor.

The fact that the British media is clueless about this, is probably related to the fact that they are hacks and cyptorepublicans.

Should I call Buck House and tell 'em their web sit's wrong?

Edited by Karmachanic

Their website is right, but so is Ryan5. Their surname since Phil is "Mountbatten-Windsor", but according to British law, British titled people can also use their titles as surname. So eg Phil can also be simply "Phil Edinburgh" and Charles "Charles Wales" etc etc. They can also use any other title they have as surname, or their actual surname.

Titles and styles are very limited since the 1930s or so, but they ignore their own rules and simply create "letters patent" to make exceptions, eg Will's kids were not entitled to any "HRH" or "prince/ss" title & style, Lizzie created an exception.

Edited by Olya

I suspect that part of the reason that Prince Harry's name was listed in his military record as "Wales" was for reasons of security (the way that his great-grandfather was given a "name" to use when he was in the Navy during WWI -- I forget what it was, but it's the name "Mrs. X" that his wife uses when consulting the speech therapist on his behalf in the movie The King's Speech). I suspect Prince Harry used "Harry Wales" because his father, Prince Charles, is the Prince of Wales.

I seem to recall that Prince Charles' youngest brother used "Edward Wessex" as a last name in relation to his non-royal job (his title is Earl of Wessex).

When Prince William got married, I saw a complete (!) list of the line of succession to the British throne (nearly 2000 people, but that included people technically excluded for being Roman Catholic). It listed all sorts of distant cousins (probably all tracing back to descendants of Queen Victoria).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

No, not for security reasons (that would be pretty lax security!), but because Charles is The Prince of Wales, therefore his sons could use the curtesy title "Prince(s) of Wales" and thus "Wales" as surname instead of "Mountbatten-Windsor". W&H had in fact no titles (apart from the "HRH" style) and were commoners just like everyone else, until they were raised into the peerage as dukes.

https://www.royal.uk/duchess-sussex

Here it refers to Her Royal Highness as either the Duchess of Sussex or Her Royal Highness. The website uses Meghan Markle only when referring to what she used to be called. No where is she called Mrs. Windsor etc. I am not sure where the website is wrong or disagrees with me.

Summed up, etiquette dictates that she is referred to as HRH the Duchess of Sussex, this is her name. If you don't like using titles, you can call her something else, but it is incorrect. Meghan Markle seems to be accepted and common usage. Anything other than Duchess of Sussex is some degree of wrong.

As far as ignoring their own rules, that is not what the Royal family does. Originally there was no limit on who received the royal style, then it was limited by, letters patent. The Duke of Cambridge's children would have gotten the style when the Queen dies anyway.

To call Princes commoners is misleading.

• 2 months later...

If memory serves, Prince Charles and later Prince William used the surname Wales in school.

Royal penmanship has been relatively refined for the last couple of hundred years, and has always been distinctive. Queen Elizabeth I had a large, bold signature in the newly-fashionable italic style: her father Henry VIII also signed his papers in italic, though a bit more shaky. George III may have been mad, but his hand was very pretty.