Closed - Ranga Handmade Pens- 2019 New Year Model 9B And Giant 9B- In Beautiful Ebonites Including Solid Colour

mpkandan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dupontdelamare

• mpkandan

• bbs

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I arrived late, when will be the next group buy? Any idea?

It's on now. Slightly different models and colours

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/344271-ranga-handmade-pens-solid-ebonite-colours-group-buy-bock-titanium-nibs-available/

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine 9B but unfortunatly this site is not allowing heavy pics to upload, (any tips for uploading unedited pics?)

Being my first Ranga pen, I was high on expectation and the day I received this pen I wrote many pages and found this pen lived to my expectation. Kudos to Mr. M.P.Kandan for fulfilling my high expectation thru this nice pen.

Unfortunatly, the very next day (of receiving this pen) while my colleagues at workplace were inspecting this pen it fall down on floor and nib was damaged. To rescue me from this situation I called him again and in next 2-3 days spare nibs arrived. A big thanks to you again Mr. Kandan

Here are few screenshot of original pic.

post-147779-0-58648100-1553624010_thumb.jpg

post-147779-0-83154400-1553624018_thumb.jpg

post-147779-0-00917600-1553624026_thumb.jpg

post-147779-0-98247000-1553624033_thumb.jpg

post-147779-0-57294500-1553624113_thumb.jpg

the maximum size you can upload is 2 Mb, your pictures are much smaller now (60-70Kb).

If you take pictures with a smart phone size is often 4Mb (download one and check the size), if you reduce to 30-40% with an image app (I do it on the PC and use paint.net) you usually get a small enough image to load but large enough to show your pens well!

Glad your beautiful new pen's disaster had a happy ending, Sarvesh! What lovely handwriting you have.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Glad your beautiful new pen's disaster had a happy ending, Sarvesh! What lovely handwriting you have.

Thanks for nice word.

the maximum size you can upload is 2 Mb, your pictures are much smaller now (60-70Kb).

If you take pictures with a smart phone size is often 4Mb (download one and check the size), if you reduce to 30-40% with an image app (I do it on the PC and use paint.net) you usually get a small enough image to load but large enough to show your pens well!

Thank You, will surely try this next time.

Now I’m just jealous – according to India Post, mine’s been sitting in Chennai Airport for the last month sad.png

Now I’m just jealous – according to India Post, mine’s been sitting in Chennai Airport for the last month sad.png

I think rather it is the last time it was tracked... it may be in the air or in your country somewhere where tracking does not continue

I would like to thank Mr Kandan once again for posting the Ranga 9B group buy.

I received my 9B pens tightly sewn in Mr Kandans cloth bag

http://i68.tinypic.com/etbscn.jpg

and within their Ranga pen box, a few weeks ago,

http://i64.tinypic.com/alkaox.jpg

but have only just found time to give other pen lovers my impressions of these pens.

The work is as usual first class, and both pens look very elegant particularly when closed, where the smooth transition from body to cap is a pleasure to the eye.

Closed pens Standard and Giant 9B

http://i63.tinypic.com/vd0osy.jpg

You can observe the interesting mix of the Blue/Pink/Pale Yellow Swirl (P14), on the standard 9B, and the Solid Crimson Red( S22) of the Giant 9B (with no black specks as far as I can make out).

When the cap is off these 9Bs, of course there is a fairly marked step down from body to section, which therefore might be felt to be less ergonomic than say an 8B:

Pens open 9B Standard and Giant 9B

http://i63.tinypic.com/309psoy.jpg

Personally, I didnt find this unmanageable with the standard pen, the waisted form of the section brings my fingers further forward away from the step-up, and I think it could be an every day pen, even if I will probably destin it for something special.

On the giant pen, however, it is more noticeable (I was expecting the opposite, as I thought the longer section on the giant would compensate more for the step up; in fact it is only slightly longer); but as it is not really an every day pen, due to its impressive size more suitable for document signing etc, it may not be too much of a problem.

Some may prefer that an alternative model was made available, with a slightly slimmer body and/or a slightly larger section, thus reducing the step up. However, if this could be worthwhile for the giant model, the 8B could be considered a valid alternative to the standard 9B for those who really prefer no ergonomic break between section and body.

Standard 9B and 8B models contrasted open:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2nqqyrr.jpg

It is true that the 8B seems ideal in weight and balance in the hand, and with a bakul finish so tactile. However, as the standard size 9B has more or less the same hourglass section as the 8B, my hand (as with the latter) tends to move further forward away from the step up, and so it seems less of a problem than I expected. Less of a problem perhaps than with the 4C which has a very different section. I do of course notice more weight to the rear of the 9B as the body is thicker than on my 8B and also its premium ebonite is more dense than my 8Bs regular bakul; this does change the balance somewhat, but I think it could give me a little more control over my slightly wild writing when I use a semi flex nib, as I do here. I will report on this when I have fully inked it up.

Of course when closed the 9B has the advantage of the smooth elegant cigar shape over the 8B.

Standard 9B and 8B models contrasted closed:

http://i63.tinypic.com/33nvlhj.jpg

There is at present a new Ranga group buy and I am considering going for a military green standard Bamboo model (possibly with a Bock 1.1 italic, or a fine Tianium nib). This pen type does have a step up, but Daniel Novotny who owns both a Ranga 4C and a Ranga Bamboo tells us in his blog that the step up is almost unnoticeable on the Bamboo model compared to the 4C; and although Daniel prefers the aesthetics of the 4C, he says the Bamboo model wins when it comes to comfort. If I do order this model, I will see whether its step up is close to that on the 9B.

Choice of ink colours for the 9B pens: the yellow on the standard 9B, is more of a stone beige, or putty colour. This allowed me to imagine that Pilot Ina-Ho (Wheat Ear) could have been a good candidate for this pen, but it proves very different in hue; I am now hoping Kiyo iro stone road of Gion, Monteverde Moonstone, or Montblanc Swan Illusion, might be better if probably a little dark (any suggestions?). The blue does make for a dusty violet purple hue in the background mix, so possibly a dusty purple grey such as Diamine Earl Grey might also not go amiss. Changing completely track, Fireopal could serve to continue the red orange streaks in the ebonite mix (but then I already have KWZ orange Monarch in my Blue /Green /Orange Swirl 3C). What colours have other users of this ebonite mix adopted?

As to the Giant Crimson 9B desk pen, I need a fairly waterproof ink but safe in an eyedropper not regularly cleaned out, except for the nib unit. I suppose Platinum Khaki Black would be out? Pilot Yama Guri, I understand is fairly resistant though a standard ink, or less standard but reputedly safe, Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, or Monteverde Permanent Document Blue?

Regards

Dupontdelamare

Welp, looks like I spoke too soon – pen just landed on my doorstep (although India Post still claims it’s sitting in Chennai Airport tongue.png )

I ordered the regular size and this is still by far the largest pen in my burgeoning collection, but the light weight still makes it perfectly comfortable to hold – and I’ve been reserving a bottle of Krishna Inks Cinnamon for when I get around to inking it up.

I ordered the regular size and this is still by far the largest pen in my burgeoning collection, but the light weight still makes it perfectly comfortable to hold and Ive been reserving a bottle of Krishna Inks Cinnamon for when I get around to inking it up.

Do let us know how it goes Cerement, and in particular let us see what Krishna Cinnamon looks like.

I have Bronze leaf, but dont have it in a pan as yet.

Regards

Dupontdelamare

So I ordered the regular size Ranga 9B in S24 Solid Golden Brown ebonite, silver clip, eyedropper fill, silver Kanwrite M nib

The ebonite is nice and smooth, there’s a couple specks but I think they’re ink rather than in the ebonite. The silver clip and silver nib provide some contrast, keeping the pen from being completely monotone. This is one of the largest pens I have (the Giant 9B has got to be humongous) but the ebonite is very lightweight (I think this thing is lighter than a Jinhao X750). And I hold the pen far enough forward on the section that the large step down isn’t noticeable. The Kanwrite nib is smooth and holds its own with any other mid-range steel nib.

This is my first ebonite pen and my first eyedropper – this is also the first time I’ve heat set a nib, first time I’ve cleaned up a nice messy ink burp – the eyedropper version definitely requires a little more attention than a generic C/C pen ...

JZFZdvI.jpg

I’ve currently got it inked up with Krishna Inks Cinnamon – first noticed Krishna Inks with Mehandiratta’s Reddit post showing off a Ranga 4 with Krishna Ghat Green (which in turn led me to his review of Krishna Ghat Green). The best I can describe the ink color would be a dark khaki (more cinnamon tree or cinnamon bark color than cinnamon spice color) – it goes down wet with more yellow/gray tones and dries to a respectable dark brown. But as Nick Stewart has shown, this ink has a LOT of secondary colors hiding in it – in a wash, pinks and teals start to show up.

vuVEgBn.jpg

One word of warning though, either go for the Solid Golden Brown in some other pen shape or pick another ebonite color for the Model 9B – the combination of 9B and Golden Brown has engendered some unfortunate associations and raunchy jokes with family members and co-workers:

HC9ddWL.jpg

@Cerement thanks for the pics - if you read the descriptions of the regular ebonite, you'll find they mention the possibility of some black specks appearing in the ebonite. It's more noticeable, obviously, in the single-colour ebonite rods than in the swirly ones - but I find them on most of my (non-premium) ebonite pens from Ranga AND on my green ASA Maya.

I enjoyed your post, Cerement, and like your style of hand writing. Krishna Cinnamon looks close in shade to Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-guri if not in hue? Were you expecting a more Cinnamon spice colour closer to that of your pen? In that case Krishna Bronze leaf could do it. Although, perhaps Kr. C. is closer while still wet, and I can see little problem with an ink in a darker shade if of similar hue to the pen. Also, someone mentioned KWZ Honey as a good match for this ebonite colour.

I admit I have become a little obsessive about ink and ebonite colour matching (perhaps others are the same?). With more complex coloured ébonites the choice is fairly open; but at the same time in an eyedropper, I feel you dont really get much of a second chance to get it right.

Thank you for the link to Nick Stewarts side by side (or rather above and below) image of Krishna Cinnamon and Diamine Earl Grey, his swab does show Earl Grey contains most of the tints of my Blue/pink/pale-yellow swirl; albeit in a much darker shade. I just might try that with my Standard 9B.

Regards

Dupontdelamare

PS I also had a largish burp with one of my Ranga eye droppers, I am more careful now how I handle them.

I would like to thank Mr Kandan once again for posting the Ranga 9B group buy.

(...)

Choice of ink colours for the 9B pens: (...) The blue does make for a dusty violet purple hue in the background mix, so possibly a dusty purple grey such as Diamine Earl Grey might also not go

Regards

Dupontdelamare

I have just come across the cleaning buds with which I cleaned out the insides of these two pens, showing the reddish tint of my Giant (below), but the grey purplish hue of my standard 9B pen (above), similar at least to Diamine Earl Grey but even perhaps to Kobe Tamon 32, or Oster Sydney Lavender, or similar?

http://i68.tinypic.com/w2j980.jpg

I could choose one of the component colours, Yellow(putty)/pink(fireopal) or blue(sapphire) or the resulting grey violet mix.

But this also shows that cleaning the inside is essential with an eyedropper

Regards

Edited by Dupontdelamare

• 4 weeks later...

To fellow 9B pen owners,

I have only just inked my Blue/pink/pale yellow swirl standard 9B with sailor Jentle Shikisai Chu-Shu grey-purple-blue ink, and find it goes extremely well with that underlying purplish-blue pen color and the ink quality works wonderfully with the Kanwrite flex nib. I wasnt expecting an ink to make a difference to the line variation produced by a semiflex nib, but I feel it does.

I wonder how much better a Titanium nib could be with the same ink. Have any of you used both nib types in a Ranga pen. If so, how might they differ? I realize of course that handwriting differences could perhaps cancel out small nib differences such as these?

Regards

Dupontdelamare

@Dupontdelamare

thank you for the nice pics and description of the pens.

I decided to skip this group buy despite I am a great fan of Ranga pens, because I was concerned by the step down issue.

According to your description my choice was probably wise, as the step down is really an issue for me, due to the way I hold pens quite far up.

As you say, in the 9B the problem may be limited, while much more noticeable in the giant 9B (I have a similar experience with the model 4 vs model 5).

In that respect the 8B may look less elegant when closed, but it's ever so comfortable when writing...

Regarding the comparison with the Bamboo, since I also own a bamboo, it's very interesting to note, as you were mentioning, that surprisingly although the Bamboo does have a step down, its almost unnoticeable. It's probably due to the fact that the Bamboo has a very long section, in any case I can confirm.

Similarly (since we are on the topic) happens also with the Ranga Sugarcane model, very long section, no problem.

@cerement

thank you for the nice pics and description of the pen

despite jokes, I find the colour of this ebonite quite attractive, your second photo shows the golden glow quite well

Out of curiosity this colour has been used before for a fountain pen by no less than Omas itself

(Omas Paragon Coloniale)

fpn_1557873423__omas_555f_coloniale_2.jp

Regarding ebonite and eye droppers, welcome to a special world.

Ebonite is a fantastic material, you will have already noticed by holding it in your hand. Warm and light it's perfect for a pen, and since you chose an eye dropper, perfect for the nib feed.

Compare the ink flow to that of you other pens, it's different, sort of unrestrained. I love that.

Burping is a different matter, I find it happens very infrequently in my Ranga ED pens, more often in the larger ones.