What Pen Are You Waiting For 2019

Says

I didn't know the 3776's were going up in price. I'm targeting a Sailor 1911 Large Stormy Sea for Christmas now instead of a Visconti HS Bronze...but maybe I should consider that Platinum 3776 in Chartres Blue I was eyeballing awhile back...hmmm.

Congrats on the restoration being finished! I hope you'll do a standalone thread with pics reviewing their work when it arrives!

The restoration is still ongoing, Chiaki told me she had to pass it to another restorer since the first one started being treated for cancer.

All of the 3776's in the $65-85 range are pretty much gone. You can still find SOME in the $85-100 range on ebay, but on amazon they're all gone and the only vendor listing them in the $80 range has a literal 100% negative review rating.

I now have an UEF, EF, SF, B, C, and MS. No interest in the FM or M or their Soft versions.

Now I'm waiting on a lamy dialog 3 because smug dill is a jerk who hates my wallet.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• mallymal1

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

Now I'm waiting on a lamy dialog 3 because smug dill is a jerk who hates my wallet.

Given you've finally talked me into buying a Lamy 2000 (blue Bauhaus l.e.), I think we're even :), although the hurt to my wallet is more serious.

Then, thanks to @WalterC, I also placed an order for Wing Sung 699, despite the Pilot Custom 823 being one of those pens that I simply wouldn't be interested in or entertain getting, even if just to see for myself what the fuss is all about with the latter. While I was at it, a transparent Wing Sung 3013 too, forA$5.50 (inc. tax and delivery).

A Fuliwen Love(?) pen in orange:

s-l400.jpg

Source: eBay

because it's shaped like my beloved (but much heavier, as one could be after five years of marriage) Rotring Initial and totally eye candy; I just love orange! The price is right too, so to speak; I needed to top up an order to get to the next rung of discount. Also on the order is two cigar-shaped Lorelei pens in different green swirly acrylics, which I'm hoping can take Nemosine #6 nibs, and a Hong Dian "Forest" in Titanium Black. (All that, unwisely from browsing for a Natami Inception, on which I ultimately decided to pass.)

Five Jinhao 51A with hooded EF nibs and different wood barrels, for about A$23 all up. I hope they are as resistant to drying out when capped as their "cracked ice" acrylic siblings; on the whole I've had largely "bad luck" in that regard with fountain pens with wooden barrels, irrespective of whether the caps (and section threads) are made of wood or metal.

Then there's that big lot of Nemosine pens on their way to me, and a Lamy Accent as well. It's kinda silly, but I already have a bunch of the interchangeable grips for the Accent sitting here, but no pen in that series; I cleared out quite a few of the last units Fontoplumo had of those in yesteryear's colours when Frank had the 10% off sale earlier in the month.

Now I have to go attend to more than two dozen new pens that have arrived in the past ten days or so. Most of them are going to be presents, but they need to be tested and cleaned before I give them away to family and friends who aren't hobbyists (or even just fountain pen users, as far as I know). I am keeping the black-and-gold Lamy Imporium with an Oblique Medium nib, the Lamy Studio Lx All Black (Boy, does that pen look good! No slippery section issue with it, either.), the black Sailor Pro Gear Classic with rhodium trim and two-tone EF nib (finally!), the Platinum Vicoh with 18K gold F nib (to compare against the Platinum PTL-5000A's 14K gold EF nib), and at least one of the Opus 88 Picnic pens.

I now have an UEF, EF, SF, B, C, and MS. No interest in the FM or M or their Soft versions.

Hmmm, why do you keep referring to Platinum's "FM" nib when it doesn't appear to offer one on any current model in the #3776 product family? Where's the F nib in that list? I have several #3776 pens with 14K gold F nibs, and there's nothing remotely "Medium" about how they write.

Edit: fixed hyperlink to the Hong Dian Forest pen

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have just ordered my first true vacuum pen. Penbbs 456 demonstrator. I have to ask any tips on B nibs that would fit into this pen?

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

The restoration is still ongoing, Chiaki told me she had to pass it to another restorer since the first one started being treated for cancer.

All of the 3776's in the $65-85 range are pretty much gone. You can still find SOME in the $85-100 range on ebay, but on amazon they're all gone and the only vendor listing them in the $80 range has a literal 100% negative review rating.

Ah, I thought it was nearly complete or totally complete. Either way, worth waiting for. That will be an excellent day - when you get the pen back and open that package.

Hmm. I found a Chartres Blue in Broad nib on Amazon for just under 100 bucks. It was tempting, but after thinking about it the last few days, I'm not really sure I'll *want* a Platinum after I get my Sailor...to be honest, they look so similar and I already have a Pilot 823 and 912, which also look similar to the Platinum and Sailor. I'm OK with having a few that look alike, but I don't want a lot like that. I have a small collection, so I just don't know how I would feel about having that many pens so similar. That Stormy Sea finish of the Sailor is just too good to pass up though, so I'm set on getting that. At least the 823, 912 and the Sailor will all be different colors...

Yes, conversing with A Smug Dill has cost me a turquoise Diplomat Aero and two Nemosine Singularities -- he can be quite the enabler. But alas, I must take responsibility for my own actions...and I love the Diplomat, so it's still a win I think.

Given you've finally talked me into buying a Lamy 2000 (blue Bauhaus l.e.), I think we're even :), although the hurt to my wallet is more serious.

Then, thanks to @WalterC, I also placed an order for Wing Sung 699, despite the Pilot Custom 823 being one of those pens that I simply wouldn't be interested in or entertain getting, even if just to see for myself what the fuss is all about with the latter. While I was at it, a transparent Wing Sung 3013 too, for A$5.50 (inc. tax and delivery).

A Fuliwen Love(?) pen in orange:

s-l400.jpg

Source: eBay

because it's shaped like my beloved (but much heavier, as one could be after five years of marriage) Rotring Initial and totally eye candy; I just love orange! The price is right too, so to speak; I needed to top up an order to get to the next rung of discount. Also on the order is two cigar-shaped Lorelei pens in different green swirly acrylics, which I'm hoping can take Nemosine #6 nibs, and a Hong Dian "Forest" in Titanium Black. (All that, unwisely from browsing for a Natami Inception, on which I ultimately decided to pass.)

Five Jinhao 51A with hooded EF nibs and different wood barrels, for about A$23 all up. I hope they are as resistant to drying out when capped as their "cracked ice" acrylic siblings; on the whole I've had largely "bad luck" in that regard with fountain pens with wooden barrels, irrespective of whether the caps (and section threads) are made of wood or metal.

Then there's that big lot of Nemosine pens on their way to me, and a Lamy Accent as well. It's kinda silly, but I already have a bunch of the interchangeable grips for the Accent sitting here, but no pen in that series; I cleared out quite a few of the last units Fontoplumo had of those in yesteryear's colours when Frank had the 10% off sale earlier in the month.

Now I have to go attend to more than two dozen new pens that have arrived in the past ten days or so. Most of them are going to be presents, but they need to be tested and cleaned before I give them away to family and friends who aren't hobbyists (or even just fountain pen users, as far as I know). I am keeping the black-and-gold Lamy Imporium with an Oblique Medium nib, the Lamy Studio Lx All Black (Boy, does that pen look good! No slippery section issue with it, either.), the black Sailor Pro Gear Classic with rhodium trim and two-tone EF nib (finally!), the Platinum Vicoh with 18K gold F nib (to compare against the Platinum PTL-5000A's 14K gold EF nib), and at least one of the Opus 88 Picnic pens.

Hmmm, why do you keep referring to Platinum's "FM" nib when it doesn't appear to offer one on any current model in the #3776 product family? Where's the F nib in that list? I have several #3776 pens with 14K gold F nibs, and there's nothing remotely "Medium" about how they write.

Your link on that Black Forest pen just took me to Google's home page, so I looked for it and found the Nebula Black Forest as well as the Hong Dian version. They are, how shall I say this, strikingly similar, lol. Supposedly, the Nebula comes with a gold nib though...

https://www.tooshinyforya.com/products/the-nebula-black-forest

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HongDian-Fountain-Pen-With-F-Black-Nib-Converter-Pen-/233234154539

Edited by sirgilbert357

Your link on that Black Forest pen just took me to Google's home page,

Hmmm. Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't noticed that somehow the post editor widget or submission process must have mangled up the hyperlink; maybe it didn't like the embedded double quotes around "Hong Dian". Anyway, I've fixed it now.

I didn't know about the Nebula Black Forest. If I'd known, I'd have gone for that instead for the gold EF nib, instead of just taking the steel F nib Bobby was only offering. Following your eBay link and then looking one step further, I see I could've saved myself US$3 and selected a steel EF nib. Too late now. Oh well. Bobby is a good seller, but I rather dislike it that he seems to favour stocking F nibbed pens over EF nibbed pens (in that the latter is not offered as an option). He likes to market his customised nibs as "a bit wet"; that's fine, but how about "smooth, precise and puts down fine wet lines of ink"?

Edit:

Looking more closely at some of the other product listings on the TSFY site, something sets off all sorts of alarm bells inside me and fills me with distrust. A Moonman S1 for a "discounted" US$69.95? A "rebranded" Jinhao 911 listing an "original" price of US$34.95 but now offered FREE? No, I have serious doubts that the Nebula Black Forest has a solid gold nib under all that black coating.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A Montegrappa "Monte Grappa" in Black courtesy of Pen Chalet.

I have been on a Black kick lately and the "Monte Grappa" has

been on the radar.

Edit:

Looking more closely at some of the other product listings on the TSFY site, something sets off all sorts of alarm bells inside me and fills me with distrust. A Moonman S1 for a "discounted" US$69.95? A "rebranded" Jinhao 911 listing an "original" price of US$34.95 but now offered FREE? No, I have serious doubts that the Nebula Black Forest has a solid gold nib under all that black coating.

Yeah, I don't trust that site at all, hence my use of "Supposedly". Call me skeptical, but I wouldn't believe it until I had taken a Brillo pad to the nib and gotten the black coating off to see the "gold" underneath. Even then...I think you made the right choice in buying the other one.

I have just ordered my first true vacuum pen. Penbbs 456 demonstrator. I have to ask any tips on B nibs that would fit into this pen?

The 456 will swallow whatever you throw at it. only the 355 is kind of picky about the length of the nib.

A standard JoWo or Bock B will fit great.

I am so happy with my sherpa sharpie pen cover that I bought their ballpoint option with a stylus and magnetic cap. all of $25 (the non stylus option is only $20) and fits any old cheap ballpoint inside it for a way more premium feel.

I also ordered a fountain pen insert for the sherpa cover out of curiosity (it also holds a platinum preppy, so if you want something the size of a MB 149 but has a preppy nib, the sherpa is an option!)

And I ordered a muji aluminum pen out of curiosity. only $14.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I referred earlier to waiting for these two Santinis which are now in my hands:

fpn_1569126644__lava_and_mimetic.jpg

The blue pen is a one-off so has no model name, known rather by its colour, Mimetic Blue.That end-thread design resembles an Ancora Perla (also by Santini) only a little longer and a shade slimmer. They are still girthy pens.

The second is a Lava, this one in Forest Green, serial 6 of 33. Unlike my various other Santinis the Lava is a piston filler although lacking an ink window unfortunately. They sit on the polished box in which the Lava arrived.

Santinis are priced up to suit the fact that despite being a small volume maker, they make their own nibs, and excellent flexy things those 18k nibs are too.

X

Not just pen this time but I am waiting on delivery of two 3 pen pen purse made with real Silk , and a set of 6 Lenin/Cotton quilted single pen pouch ; where pens goes I've had on order finally a Wing Sung 699 after positive experience reported by fellow members here, and a PenBBS 323 Aluminum cafe-moka

I am waiting a Lamy 2000 black amber to increase my collection of Lamy 2000. Then, maybe I will need to get the Bauhaus Ed as well. Will see...

Then, maybe I will need to get the Bauhaus Ed as well. Will see...

How? I thought most retailers that received stock had sold out by now.

I'm waiting for a custom-made Newton pen - a piston filled Knickerbocker in Brooks Combustion, made to take a Pelikan M800 nibs. Also waiting for a Conid Minimalistica and a pre-ordered Pelikan M800 Black-Brown.

David

I'm waiting for 3 Moonman S1 pens with the newer color patterns:

fpn_1569172842__moonman_s1_04.jpg

I plan to replace the nibs with a 14k, a (Mr. Pen) medium-italic, and a bobby nib scavenged from a Jinhao 51A. (All are #5's.)

I just ordered this lovely green/blue Lorelei 667 on Etsy. It looks like a nice two-tone #6 nib and is an eyedropper.

mAHamrx.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray