Sheaffer's Old Ads Photo Thread

Lazard 20

Hurry, get your free Skrip bottle before the stock runs out!* A 1930 ad little or nothing known and that illustrates to us about the commercial utility that Sheaffer´S gave to their old truck.

Dedicated to RedRinger, FPN member, whose yesterday post about these old ads has given me the idea for this topic.

*Although Sheaffer´s commercial dept. doesn´t anything for nothing... :)

fpn_1546158716__lazard_get_free_your_skr

Edited by RamonCampos

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lazard 20

• PenHero

• rff000

• RedRinger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

During 1919 several drawings of Richard Fayerweather Babcock (1887-1954) illustrated Sheaffer's ads; this is one of them.

fpn_1546160136__sheaffer_ad_fayerweather

Edited by RamonCampos

This is the oldest "Sheaffer" ad (published months before the Sheaffer´S Company was established) that I discovered after an intense search. I take advantage of this post and present it next to The Missouri Store where Walter Sheaffer said to have sold his first fountain pen.

fpn_1546160504__1912_09_17_sheaffer_univ

Edited by RamonCampos

The controversial and something bohemian illustrator Donald Denton designed dozens of ads for Sheaffer during the entire second half of the 1920s practically in exclusive. He is the creator of diverse and different big "S" as background of them. He illustrated all the great Sheaffer´S events as the presentations of the Jadite / Radite, illustrated the first White Dot as a symbol of their Lifetime guarantee, as well as the Balance design as the first ergonomic fountain pen.

xmas.gif¡¡Feliz 2019 a todos!!xmas.gif

fpn_1546244802__sheaffer_donald_denton_a

Edited by RamonCampos

Hurry, get your free Skrip bottle before the stock runs out!* A 1930 ad little or nothing known and that illustrates to us about the commercial utility that Sheaffer´S gave to their old truck.

Can you imagine the impression of getting on the truck and finding 4 floor displays like this one of 32 dozen of relucient Sheaffer's housed in their felt trays?

fpn_1546273054__display_32_dozens_lazard

Edited by RamonCampos

Ad from Christmas 1924 of Sheaffer´S gold filled Oriental mosaic giftie sets. They cost $15 ($10 pen and $5 pencil) with Penvelope as gift.

fpn_1546334472__1924_12_24_lazard_better

... and Penvelope; their "soft crushed leather case of exquisite workmanship with fine hand-tooled design."

fpn_1546335715__sheaffer_oriental_mosaic

Edited by RamonCampos

Ad from Christmas 1924 of Sheaffer´S gold filled Oriental mosaic giftie sets. They cost $15 ($10 pen and $5 pencil) with Penvelope as gift.

fpn_1546334472__1924_12_24_lazard_better

... and Penvelope; their "soft crushed leather case of exquisite workmanship with fine hand-tooled design."

fpn_1546335715__sheaffer_oriental_mosaic

What an interesting set! Never heard of this, but PenHero had a nice photo on his site. Not quite as elegant as I expected, but nicely artsy :D

Dedicated to RedRinger, FPN member, whose yesterday post about these old ads has given me the idea for this topic.

*Although Sheaffer´s commercial dept. doesn´t anything for nothing... :)

Thanks so much RamonCampos for being inspired to start this new thread!

I actually do collect Sheaffer'S ads, and love them. I particularly like ads that show us a glimpse of a different time or remind us how different things are now. I don't like the labels some folks place on them sometimes, judging the past harshly, I just love them for what they are.

Here are two that particularly tickle my fancy --

The first one features a Man Who Writes in Big Figures (who doesn't want to be that guy?!) with ostensibly his secretary, breath taken away, as she hands him his Big Sheaffer'S Pen! I love the, ahem, insinuations that sometimes occur in PFM ads as well :yikes:

The second one is part of a series I have been collecting, on the Lifetime pen. They are just so fantastic in their prediction of the future, and each shows us what incredible new technology we will someday (today!) be using as we still write with our Sheaffer'S Lifetime pens. This one is my favorite -- "When your daughter carries a visual-phone in her purse..." I mean, amazing, right? But my favorite little details are the physical buttons on the phone, for speed-dialing -- the doctor, the druggist, the grocer -- and buttons to instantly see into the kitchen, the living room. And the look on the kids's face -- momma's watching! Just fantastic.

I have access to a really old newspaper archive and I'll look around for the oldest ads I can find.... for now, enjoy!

Matt

fpn_1546448434__sheafferadbigfigures.jpg

fpn_1546448446__sheafferadlifetimevisual

Edited by RedRinger

A curious Sheaffer´S ad containing balanced as attribute and concept* (5 years before Sheaffer´S balanced shape) plagiarized to Parker; apparently trying to appropriate for themselves the formidable and millionaire advertising campaign of Parker with his balanced Duofold from 1922 onwards. Sheaffer continued using the concept copied to Parker's** ad campaign during part of the decade.

(*) Now and here I am talking about the concept and attribute of a balanced fountain pen and not about later S'S Balance shape and silhouette that we will leave for another day.

(**) Although Houston Pen since 1910 already used this concept and word in Pendom.

fpn_1546712604__1923_05_11_sheaffer_bala

Edited by RamonCampos

...The first one features a Man Who Writes in Big Figures (who doesn't want to be that guy?!) with ostensibly his secretary, breath taken away, as she hands him his Big Sheaffer'S Pen! I love the, ahem, insinuations that sometimes occur in PFM ads as well :yikes:

The second one is part of a series I have been collecting, on the Lifetime pen. They are just so fantastic in their prediction of the future, and each shows us what incredible new technology we will someday (today!) be using as we still write with our Sheaffer'S Lifetime pens. This one is my favorite -- "When your daughter carries a visual-phone in her purse..." I mean, amazing, right? But my favorite little details are the physical buttons on the phone, for speed-dialing -- the doctor, the druggist, the grocer -- and buttons to instantly see into the kitchen, the living room. And the look on the kids's face -- momma's watching! Just fantastic.

Matt

We will see the first one in a few days here with a very high resolution. It is a very valuable announcement in my opinion; in it we will observe some curious things like who could be the Man Who Writes in Big Figures painted by Colles Phillips and that, perhaps, for Sheaffer, contrary to us, Life Time (separated) is not the same, nor represents the same, as Lifetime.

In the second, certainly, the prediction of future exposed by the publicist scares for its precision.

Edited by RamonCampos

Matt

Where was the space phone ad printed?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Matt

Where was the space phone ad printed?

Hey FarmBoy... from TIME Magazine, June 7, 1963

Oh wow, I love this! Keep them coming! Sheaffer's Pen For Men ad... I've got it somewhere, I'll see if i can add it... (If someone ran an ad like the one for the PFM today, there would be public outcry).

I'm old enough to remember when Jackie Gleason advertised Snorkels ("The pen that drinks the ink!").

post-71270-0-87510200-1547148451_thumb.jpg

Edited by rff000

Interestingly, the PFM nib in the above ad appears to have an architect grind.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Luckily Walter transfer to Fort Madison was known through the newspaper, otherwise we would not have known it, isn´t it? -smile-

fpn_1547187530__1906_06_07_sheaffer_move

Addendum: The school children problem in the work transfers of their parents a century ago just as today.

Edited by RamonCampos

Wow! This is very interesting thread! A lot of useful for me. Thanks so much!
I have more than a 100 original Sheaffer ads from different years in my collection.

My best regards
Oleg (Loki.OS)