My Thoughts On My Waterman Graduate - More Medium Than Fine

Nerdyhistorian

So, a few weeks ago I bought a Waterman Graduate Chrome CT, a pen that is quite priced as an entry level fountain pen. In the package there was also a cartridge included.

It writes very smooth, a bit smoother than my black Lamy Safari, which I purchased at the same time. I thought the pen was a medium (I think it was also stated as such on the package) and when I look at what I wrote with it, it would indeed seem so.

Now I have read that Waterman ink is quite on the wet side, is that the same for their cartridges?

Because when I was writing with it just now, I was admiring the nib and I noticed a small "F" beneath the Waterman logo on the nib. So now I am wondering: is this a result of the ink or is Waterman Fine indeed more a Medium? Not that it will matter much to me, I love writing with the pen so I definitely enjoy this one and keep it in rotation.

A writing sample is attached (pardon me for my handwriting)

post-146998-0-50540400-1545927545_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nerdyhistorian

• ardene

• pajaro

• bass1193

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think your handwriting is quite nice! European nibs do tend to run wide, and a wet ink will spread more making for a wider line. Another factor is the paper you use; the same pen and same ink can put down a different line on different papers. It's all part of the fun :lol: As someone who appreciates very fine nibs, I've come to love Japanese and Chinese pens, which tend to run narrower for the stated nib grade. Consider expanding in that direction, to see a whole new perspective on nibs :D

From your writing sample, I think your pen writes within the bounds of a European fine nib. Other Waterman fines have written about like that for me.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

So, a few weeks ago I bought a Waterman Graduate Chrome CT, a pen that is quite priced as an entry level fountain pen. In the package there was also a cartridge included.

It writes very smooth, a bit smoother than my black Lamy Safari, which I purchased at the same time. I thought the pen was a medium (I think it was also stated as such on the package) and when I look at what I wrote with it, it would indeed seem so.

Now I have read that Waterman ink is quite on the wet side, is that the same for their cartridges?

Because when I was writing with it just now, I was admiring the nib and I noticed a small "F" beneath the Waterman logo on the nib. So now I am wondering: is this a result of the ink or is Waterman Fine indeed more a Medium? Not that it will matter much to me, I love writing with the pen so I definitely enjoy this one and keep it in rotation.

A writing sample is attached (pardon me for my handwriting)

attachicon.gif IMG_0447.JPG

Your handwritings fine. This looks like an F to me. Here are how some M vintage (fine/medium and M stub) and modern nibs (all others, the much broader than M italic included) look like on an A4 page. The lines are about 1cm apart.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1543153496__handwriting.jpg

Edited by ardene

I was just wondering about it, because when I write with my Lamy Safari (which is an M) it gives a very similar result as this Waterman does. Or are Lamy M's quite close to an F?

Nice handwriting!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I was just wondering about it, because when I write with my Lamy Safari (which is an M) it gives a very similar result as this Waterman does. Or are Lamy M's quite close to an F?

It depends on the ink and paper and pen manufacturer. I have no Lamys to compare. My Parker European F nibs on Vectors can look like Ms but then I notice that I write more tight with them. Still not entirely objective, but look the difference of the first and the second sample (english) on my picture and the negligible between second and third. When you start noticing details, you can compare descenders of letters like t and f, which with an M will be a little bit fatter.

Edited by ardene

I see what you mean. So the difference would be more subtle then I thought originally. I learn quite a lot about fountain pens!