The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Killed New Estie

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RockyLaDoodle

RockyLaDoodle

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:41

Accidentally dropped my New Estie a few inches, capside down. Sadly, it didn't make it - snapped where the cap and barrel screw together. Is there a way I could fix it? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/dtFfFe9

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:27

From your pics and what I saw on the Esty video, looks like that translucent blue threaded piece is a sleeve-type thingy that'll glue back into the barrel.  The video also shows that the cap doesn't screw on, but is a pop-on/pop-off type.  So, if I have all that correctly ...

What I'd do is to

• locate a good plastic glue or super glue that'll give you some time to set the piece.  Some research may be required, and maybe others on this forum might be able to guide you.  You need a good product to handle the stress of popping the cap on and off, and screwing the barrel onto and off the section.
  • line up the sleeve (the thing with the threads) with the ring in place, into the barrel so that it fits squarely with the break in place and mark that so you can fit in quickly and accurately. You may have to rotate the sleeve to make sure it fits perfectly with the break. Take your time and be sure.  If my guess is correct, the inside threads on your part have to match continued threading inside the barrel for a strong-enough fit to withstand the stress of holding it all together while writing
  • glue only the part under and behind the ring, if possible.
  • carefully and quickly install, making sure it's flush with the break.
  • follow glue instructions as to set/cure time

Tape off parts of the pen you're handling to prevent getting glue on them by accident. If you find that it doesn't screw back together well after all that, consider determining the thread specs of the section and securing a tap to straighten out the imperfection of the fix.

It's unfortunate that in this high-tech modern age of manufacturing, little or no attention is given to stress testing, to include answering the question, "Would this thing survive being dropped on its head?" 

Anyway, that's my two cents.  Hope it helps.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:22

I would contact the manufacturer. They may repair or replace the pen at no to little charge. Bexley did this for me when I walked into a column at work with a pen in my pocket. An accident I clearly was at fault for and few pens would survive. (It was a new office for me and I was both distracted and moving too fast.)

Edited by Parker51, 28 December 2018 - 03:28.

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2018 - 13:42

Epoxy generally is stronger than super glue. Solvent weld? If this has to bear the stresses of capping and uncapping, a new part is better.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 15:01

With all due respect to responses above, the first step I'd take is to send these photos to the new esterbrook company, dealer/purchase point for their response. Which could be to replace or repair themselves, so they can view the break. If you tinker with a repair that may void their repair/replace policy.

No response, then I'd follow the above suggestions & share the outcome here.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2018 - 19:10

With all due respect to responses above, the first step I'd take is to send these photos to the new esterbrook company, dealer/purchase point for their response. Which could be to replace or repair themselves, so they can view the break. If you tinker with a repair that may void their repair/replace policy.

Yes, if you mess with the pen, the warranty will be void.  If Esterbrook thinks the damage isn't material defect, they might void it anyway

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:54

+1
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#8 Brianm_14

Brianm_14

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:21

Yes, first give the manufacturer a chance to respond. You may be pleasantly surprised. You certainly won't be any worse off!
Brian

Sponsored Content

|