Help Cleaning Up This Baby!

Says

Hi all,

I am looking to pull the trigger on this 146 barley design sterling silver.

It says w-germany but since the nib has been replaced, I dont know how to date it.

Anyway I can do so?

Also, it is quite oxidized. Would it be easy to polish it back to its original shine?

Owner claims its in very good working condition. Anything else I should look out for?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Says

• Michael R.

• CS388

• EdwardSouthgate

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't !!!

...I would leave it like this ;-)

But it should not be too difficult to get it back to original shine with a silver cloth or even some mild pen polish if you prefer the shiny look.

Since it already has the black striped ink window it is not the first generation model.

The length also was different as early models were slightly shorter until the introduction of the 147 Traveller pens.

How would you date it by the nib? The feed might be more interesting to determine the approx. period of time.

This is a wonderful pen :-)

Cheers

Michael

As Michael says, a jeweller's cloth may bring back the shine.

But I agree, it has turned a wonderful colour! I'd also leave it as it is. Looks great.

Good luck.

What a beauty! Subshine Cloth or jewellers cloth will polish it back to a shine. I wonder if the chasing will look even more interesting if you wipe it gently with sunshine cloth - it might leave patina in the pits but polish the outer parts of the pen to a shine. This shine and patina look might give more depth to the pen. I dont know for sure but Im just wondering, because it reminds me of the design on the Sheaffer imperial sterling silver pen from the 70s. I had one that was over polished and so I actually oxidised it but placing it in a bag with a crushed boiled egg - the sulphur fumes gave it a patina right away. I have documented this somewhere on FPN.

Anyway, do tell us what you decide to do finally and how it turned out.

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I'd leave it if it were mine , but I like the look of oxidized silver . Sweet pen .

Edited by EdwardSouthgate

I'd leave it if it were mine , but I like the look of oxidized silver . Sweet pen .

+1, or maybe the barest swipes of a sunshine to show up the texture. But you do you, OP :D make it what your heart desires!

Thanks Guys... I just put in the order for the pen... I still haven't decided what to do with the silver yet..

I just wanted to know if it could be done easily before I bought it, just in case I decide a shiny silver will look better.

I think I will take a look at the real thing before I decide... Keep you guys posted!

The color will start to change on it's own after you get it and start using it . The more you carry it the more it will change . You may find that attractive and want to leave it and maybe not , either way it is only a few minutes of easy work to make it shine again . I like the look it has now and I like how one colored like that changes with use but that's just me .You will love and enjoy it either way and if you shine it and decide you liked it better blued there are ways to speed up the oxidation process or you can just rest it till it turns again .

I would also keep it like that.

But if you want, any good brand silver polish and micro fiber cloth will bring it back to new. Even remove any faint scratches if any.

Personally, maybe on second thought I would bring it back half way (dont polish too much or hard) so that crevices would remain black but higher bits get polished. Use it like that for a while and see if you want to polish all the way.

IT has finally arrived! Unfortunately, I have to say it didn't really age gracefully. The actual oxidation was quite patchy, and I suspect some of it is grime..

I am going to gently wipe it with a moist towel, dry and probably give it a very very very gentle polish....

I don't really want to take it to shine, but I will try to even out the patches to give it a more "graceful" feel...

That said, the first job is to clean the pen out first... I just flushed it at least 20 times, and the water is still coming out as this purplish black...

I think I am flushing so much, the pen actually looks shinier from all the turnings lol...

I really wonder when was the last time it was properly cleaned... at least the pen is in good working condition Piston and nib.

post-146548-0-22255300-1546407668_thumb.jpg

IT has finally arrived! Unfortunately, I have to say it didn't really age gracefully. The actual oxidation was quite patchy, and I suspect some of it is grime..

I am going to gently wipe it with a moist towel, dry and probably give it a very very very gentle polish....

I don't really want to take it to shine, but I will try to even out the patches to give it a more "graceful" feel...

That said, the first job is to clean the pen out first... I just flushed it at least 20 times, and the water is still coming out as this purplish black...

I think I am flushing so much, the pen actually looks shinier from all the turnings lol...

I really wonder when was the last time it was properly cleaned... at least the pen is in good working condition Piston and nib.

Don't forget to clean the inside of the cap with some wet cotton buds, you'd be surprised.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Don't forget to clean the inside of the cap with some wet cotton buds, you'd be surprised.

+1. What's more, the residue might not only alter the colour of your ink, but also spoil it, developing nib crud. Getting rid of the residue is difficult, but it's worth the hassle. Source: own infamous experience :blush:

(I thought I had cleaned the cap well enough. I hadn't.)

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

Congratulations, it looks fantastic!

I understand your point about the patina being patchy - although it looks even in the pictures. I look forward to sseing it after your endeavours - but I also very much like the look of it as it is.

Congratulations again, it's a wonderful pen!