Onoto 19 On The Way

EdwardSouthgate

Got this one headed my way , should be here no later than Wednesday . This is my second Onoto and quite a bit different from the little 14 that I have .

fpn_1545619071__onoto_19_-_5.jpg

Edited by EdwardSouthgate

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EdwardSouthgate

• praxim

• northlodge

• TheDutchGuy

Thanks Cob . Don't know much about Onoto , only own one other and it;s a 14 . Seller listed this one as being a 19 . It's in Memphis about 200 miles away so it could be here tomorrow .

19 will most likely be a number on the other side of the plunger knob from where you should be able to see 5601.

So far as I know (enlightenment welcomed) the import of the minor number remains unknown. The suggestion which appealed most to me was that it was an engineering plan revision number, rather than a batch number which is another common suggestion.

X

Nib is very soft and flexible . It is marked as a 5601 , Are all Onoto pens small diameter in comparison to length ? Was hoping this one would have more girth .

Nib marked" DELARUE

Onoto

14ct

LONDON

3/ ST

6234 would better suit your needs, and of course the Magna.

Many of the earlier ones are not much wider in girth than the typical ED's from the pre-1920 period

Any advice on how to make it write ??? I filled it as I would with a Wahl or any other brand with this type of filler and it writes beautifully ........Until it runs out of ink in the feed from filling . I have soaked it and nothing . I can make it work by manually priming it with the filler but when it goes dry it is bone dry and will not pick up any ink from the tank . I even shook it till several drops came out of the breather hole and it still was dry at the point . It was sold as serviced and guaranteed so should be no trouble sending it back for a refund or further tweeking but I was hoping I am just missing something . I even went to Granmia Pens site and watched a video on filling the Onoto and I cant see where I am doing anything different from what he did . HELP Please !

Eddie

try unscrewing the end slightly before using it.

If you do open the pen you will see that there is a pointed end to the piston rod that locates into the indented base of the feed. This cuts off the ink supply. Unscrewing the base allows a gap through which the ink can flow.

When you are using the pen, is the plunger knob open a half-turn or so? If not, then a properly restored pen will be allowing no ink from the chamber to the feed. That is an Onoto feature.

To test operation, with the pen empty, hold it not far from your ear and work the plunger. You should hear a clear pop near the bottom of the stroke.

If that is fine then, to make another check on filling, you should find it around 1.5 g heavier than empty. Use water.

X

try unscrewing the end slightly before using it.

If you do open the pen you will see that there is a pointed end to the piston rod that locates into the indented base of the feed. This cuts off the ink supply. Unscrewing the base allows a gap through which the ink can flow.

That was it . Unscrewed it 1/2 turn and it started right up . I knew they had a ink shutoff of some sort but had no idea where it was located or how ot worked . Thanks !!

When you are using the pen, is the plunger knob open a half-turn or so? If not, then a properly restored pen will be allowing no ink from the chamber to the feed. That is an Onoto feature.

To test operation, with the pen empty, hold it not far from your ear and work the plunger. You should hear a clear pop near the bottom of the stroke.

If that is fine then, to make another check on filling, you should find it around 1.5 g heavier than empty. Use water.

Thank you also .

Oh wow, that's a wonderful 5601. I've got one in green marble with a #3 stenographers nib and I adore that pen. Such a fantastic writer and so charming to look at. Congrats on securing yours!

Thanks Dutch . It is a very wonderful writer now that I know how to access the ink . My other Onoto is a lever pen and I did not know to crack open the knob to release the ink . Now if I can figure why one of my Pelikan 100N's wont give me its ink I will be a happy man .

Eddie

• 3 weeks later...

Well ! The Pelikan has decided to function as intended but the Onoto is still giving me fits !! It is filling but most of the time refuses to share it's ink . Sometimes but rarely when I open the cap it will write , mostly not . I can shake it a bit and ink will come out in drops , then it will draw lines all day on the back side of the nib but not on the correct writing side . Do I have a feed contact issue ? The pen is supposed to be freshly serviced and tested but I does not want to write for me with any kind of regularity . I really love this 3ST nib but I am really hating this pen it's in . Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Eddie

PS: It is filled with 1940's Quink Violet .

Praxim,

Never took one of these apart but have had a Doric disassembled , are they about the same ?

Eddie

Never disassembled a Doric. :)

Try flossing the nib with a brass shim first.

The section unscrews (dry heat likely to be needed) then you can knock out the nib and feed. Use wooden dowel to avoid damaging the cone recess in the feed. Try to note the depth of the nib setting on the feed and in the section, for when you are putting it back. Clean the feed in a USC or with pen flush including scraping the channels with a sharp toothpick, rinse and repeat. When restoring the nib and feed, check carefully for any indentation which shows a preferred alignment which may have arisen over time. That has not normally happened on Onotos I have restored.

I usually use a dab of silicone grease on threads when reassembling. No need to over-tighten. Oh, and release the plunger before screwing back the section, just in case of interference.

You will find possibly better instructions on all of this scattered around FPN.

X