The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Important: Validation Of New Registrations And Email Accounts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2018 - 21:43

Dearest Members and Visitors to our little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

As you may all know, several months ago we have moved to manual validation of new member registrations, due to problems with spammers getting through despite the (automated) measures we had taken.

So far, manual validation is going well, even if it takes a bit more time, both from us, and from a time to validation POV (up to a week).

Basically, we do background checks to prevent any spammers from getting through, which works quite well right now.

Secondly, we do checks on validity and usability of provided email addresses, as it is a prerequiste for a successful account validation. This is mentioned in our rules and terms of service. If an email address is invalid, non-existent, disposible, grey-listed or scores below 5 with our tools, we will discard the entire registration.

We recently see that some people re-register over and over with the same low score email address. We will not validate such accounts. We would like to suggest to those who do, and would like to become a contributing or registered member, to obtain a different email address for use with FPN.

HTH, warm regards, WIm

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Sponsored Content

#2 Gerry

Gerry

Lake Louise

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:04

Wim,

Could you please let me kow if my email address is registered as a FPN member able to receive FPN email?

gerry.einarsson@bell.net

Thanks.

Gerry

#3 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:51

Hi Wim,

There are some people over on the fountain pen subreddit who have emailed to register and havent heard back for weeks or months - are manual registrations still being processed?

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#4 brokenclay

brokenclay

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 15:27

Hi Wim,

There are some people over on the fountain pen subreddit who have emailed to register and havent heard back for weeks or months - are manual registrations still being processed?

A data point: I registered in May of 2019, sent an email asking about it (to either fpnadmin@gmail.com or register@fountainpennetwork.com) in June of 2019, starting sending (polite) emails monthly in September of 2019, and was granted entrance on December 24th.

#5 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:03

Someone else on Reddit has also said theyve had no reply in months.

I understand running a forum isnt always easy, but it doesnt seem reasonable to keep people waiting that long. I really like FPN and often suggest people join because the depth of knowledge here is superb, but knowing people are going to wait months to get a response to a registration request is a bit much!

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#6 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 21:20

As others have mentioned, r/fountainpens on Reddit probably gets one question per week asking if anyone can explain why they can't register on FPN.

Is there anything the FPN community can do to help?  Referrals?  Additional moderators / admins from long-time FPN users? (I'd be game to be a limited mod or admin - and worked in IT for ages, so I've done admin of this type of website.)

I just feel bad for those who can't register, and worry that eventually it will reach critical mass and FPN will get too much "bad press" as it were.

#7 2feetplanted

2feetplanted

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 15:47

Have been having trouble with the recent reregistration requested by the moderators. Have been trying for a week now to contact moderators about the problems submitting new user name and really get notices that I am a spammer, the procedure to contact moderator to reregister is not recognized and several other "jump through hoops" processes that didn't work. Was doing this from my MacBook Pro (6 years old) from several locations while away from home. Tried from home last night and same old NO-NO-NO, garbage.

This morning I tried from my 12 year old Mac desktop that I originally reloaded my Fountain Pen Network membership to because my old IBM desktop died a well earned death, having been born in the 1990s, and FPN popped right up on the screen without word about contacting Moderators, email new credentials (username, etc.), or standing on my head for a week waiting for a new "Hall Pass" to be issued.

Am I in the right place; am I having a flashback of an old "Twilight Zone" episode; is my ex-wife trying to spoil ALL of my fun?

Do I need to wait for new credentials or change user name to be able to use my laptop, or do you think that the laptop has been infested by Covid? - - - If you have a guess.

Thank you, 2feetplanted. 

#8 brokenclay

brokenclay

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 16:00

No clue, I'm afraid, but have you cleared cookies on all the browsers you've tried this from?

#9 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 16:16

Have been having trouble with the recent reregistration requested by the moderators. Have been trying for a week now to contact moderators about the problems submitting new user name and really get notices that I am a spammer, the procedure to contact moderator to reregister is not recognized and several other "jump through hoops" processes that didn't work. Was doing this from my MacBook Pro (6 years old) from several locations while away from home. Tried from home last night and same old NO-NO-NO, garbage.

This morning I tried from my 12 year old Mac desktop that I originally reloaded my Fountain Pen Network membership to because my old IBM desktop died a well earned death, having been born in the 1990s, and FPN popped right up on the screen without word about contacting Moderators, email new credentials (username, etc.), or standing on my head for a week waiting for a new "Hall Pass" to be issued.

Am I in the right place; am I having a flashback of an old "Twilight Zone" episode; is my ex-wife trying to spoil ALL of my fun?

Do I need to wait for new credentials or change user name to be able to use my laptop, or do you think that the laptop has been infested by Covid? - - - If you have a guess.

Thank you, 2feetplanted. 

If you have a username and password that works on one computer, it should work on all computers.  As mentioned, you may need to delete cookies (which store logins and other site settings), but otherwise, it should work fine.

I have noticed a limit on the number of different browsers / computers which can stay logged in - e.g. I would use my phone, work computer, and home computer, but logging in on the third of them would log be out on the one I hadn't used most recently.

#10 2feetplanted

2feetplanted

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 14:47

Thank you LizEF, will check as you say. Have only been having problems on the laptop since last week so I will work as you describe and try to clean it up.

Thank you again for the help.

#11 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2020 - 15:33

Thank you LizEF, will check as you say. Have only been having problems on the laptop since last week so I will work as you describe and try to clean it up.

Thank you again for the help.

You're welcome!  Hope you're able to fix it.

Sponsored Content

|