Carrying Pens Safely To Work

Nerdyhistorian

I would like to take my fountain pens to work. I have a metal pen case (something like this) where I would store the pens in before I put them in my backpack. Would that be safe to prevent damage and leaking? Or is there a better option then a metal pen case?

How do you carry your pens to work?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nerdyhistorian

• inkstainedruth

• Olya

• Lomi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I carry my pens to work in two separate cases, which each hold three pens:

Visconti Dreamtouch Leather 3-pen case

Pelikan Leather 3-pen case

:)

✒️ :happyberet:

Metal pen case is good option as long as you sure that pens inside it doesn't move too much and it will not accidentally open, for extra protection you need to make sure that walls of pen case is covered in something soft from from inside and there no direct contant between pens and metal body of case, otherwise you can expect scratches. Cigar pouch is a good option for protecting your pens because each pen inside it doens't have alot of room for movement and have no direct contact with other pens, but i'm not sure how easy it might to get one.
I'm carrying my pens in regular pen roll, not the best protection thingy but i'm not carrying any expensive pens with myself so it's ok.

Well, if I were tempted to use that metal box to protect my pen from outside threats, I would have to wrap the pen, or each pen, in something soft before putting it in there. A single pen bouncing around in there, or two or more pens bouncing around against each other, as well as the metal box itself... Well, the results could be unhappy.

I have a variety of leather pen cases, and that is much kinder to the pen. If one is averse to using animal products, there are plenty of alternatives to leather.

if its just one or two pen, then get individual pen sleeves ; if its like 3 or 4 or more, then its better to invest in something that protect the pen during travel. I use a quilted kisslock pen purse that take 4. Generally the kind of metal case sown is good as a desk top pen case / storage , but not as a travel case as its not padded nor is it very secure in its closure.

A toothbrush holder used by travelers will hold one pen. The are a dollar or so.

Also good is a hard eye glass case. You may have one of them or you can usually get them at a used clothing store. Another inexpensive option is a zippered manicure set. It has elastic bands which will hold several pens. I picked up one for a few dollars at Goodwill.

How much do things get beat up in your backpack typically? Because if they don’t I’d go with a softer case that won’t allow the pens to move around either against the case or each other. That’s what I do for purses or if your using one pen get a sleeve and stick it in a pocket.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

Shirt pocket for me as well, generally 2-4 pens. Haven’t yet needed a case for carrying my pens, but some good suggestions have been made, especially if your backpack isn’t too full, or have heavy items pressing against the pens.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I'm a bag wrap for the nock cases. Love them. Would one of their cases suit? They are very durable, protective and keenly priced.

https://nockco.com/cases/

I have a few different ones but find I use the Hightower most as it carries three pens, a small stash of 5x3 notecards (nocks cards are fantastic too) and a small notepad.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Hm, some good input here. I am going to look around for safer methods.

The only 'safe' way to bring your pens to work is to bring only those pens that you wouldn't overly regret losing. As noted in many other posts, disaster can strike from many directions. Leave a pen on your deck un-attended for six minutes and don't be shocked if it is not there when you bring back your cup of coffee. Bend over in the parking lot to help push a car out of the snow, and like me you'll find that the pen that you thought was snug in your shirt pocket now is imprinted with "Firestone". (It wasn't all that bad - just a few war wounds)

And leaks? Does your office have a new carpet? Better be extra careful when you refill your pen. "Sorry, boss, it never happened before", or "I didn't know that dropping the pen would splatter all the red ink." (tip - refill your pen in the washroom - and look foolish)

And don't your fellow employees just envy that MB149! Well, you have a choice - say "no" when they want to try it out and never get invited out for lunch for the rest of your career, or let 'em give it a go and watch as they try to use the nib to punch a hole through their desk. (can you really say "no" to your boss?)

So, forget about showing off what cool pens you have. Leave the good stuff at home and bring your Pilot Varsity instead. Heck, if what you want to do is impress your peers, that $2.50 pen will impress 79% of them.

Edited by Charles Rice

So, forget about showing off what cool pens you have. Leave the good stuff at home and bring your Pilot Varsity instead. Heck, if what you want to do is impress your peers, that $2.50 pen will impress 79% of them.

Assuming of course that the co-workers even notice.... 90% of the time when I'm signing credit card receipts in stores or restaurants, or at the doctor's -- nobody pays the least bit of attention (and then, when they DO notice, odds are it's something inexpensive like one of the Noodler's Konrads; although the receptionist at my allergist's office did admire the Red Shadow Wave Vac one time a couple of summers ago, and said "Oh, that's a pretty pen..."). [Well, duh -- it's a Red Shadow Wave Vac.... :rolleyes:

I have a friend who is a tech writer for an manufacturing firm. Not sure what she uses to and from work (she has five Levenger pens, I think Tru-Writers). The engineers she works with thought it was "cute" that she color coded the pens and ink colors -- until they realized that there was a method to her madness. She'd use different colors at different points in meetings to take notes, and that would be stuff like "Okay, Joe is going to be working on X next, and that's in red ink with the red pen", etc. Then, when she'd be sending off email, it would be easier to remember who was supposed to be doing what. And the engineers (being engineers, of course) all said "Oh.... Great idea, Sue!"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

As an extra perk in bringing your Pilot Varsity to work, if your boss really things it's something special, just give it to him and then figure a little extra for your Christmas bonus.

...The engineers she works with thought it was "cute" that she color coded the pens and ink colors -- until they realized that there was a method to her madness. She'd use different colors at different points in meetings to take notes, and that would be stuff like "Okay, Joe is going to be working on X next, and that's in red ink with the red pen" ...

+1

I take a set of fountain pens in different colours on safety and environmental protection audits, with each colour having a specific classification in findings or notes. As for the person in your e-mail, folks think it's some kind of bizarre affectation until interim or closing meetings when I'm discussing specific findings, and I can pull out items quickly to explain where and how deficiencies are found. Suddenly, everyone's eyes narrow...

I do, BTW, carry a couple of pens in a shirt pocket to work most days, but if I need more, I have several pen cases of differing capacities for additional pens as needed. Again, folks look a little perplexed with this until they see them in use... <wry smile>

Assuming of course that the co-workers even notice.... 90% of the time when I'm signing credit card receipts in stores or restaurants, or at the doctor's -- nobody pays the least bit of attention (and then, when they DO notice, odds are it's something inexpensive like one of the Noodler's Konrads; although the receptionist at my allergist's office did admire the Red Shadow Wave Vac one time a couple of summers ago, and said "Oh, that's a pretty pen..."). [Well, duh -- it's a Red Shadow Wave Vac.... :rolleyes:

I indeed doubt that my co-workers would notice. And I don't have expensive pens anyway :)

Has anyone tried the Lilithlab bookstyle pen cases? Are they any good?

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/LL44777/lihit-lab-book-type-pen-case-small

Edited by Nerdyhistorian

I use the bright orange version of that case to carry my pens to and from work. I've had as many as 8 pens plus some biro's highlighters and pencils without any problems. My pen case always rides at the top of my backpack and I've had no problems in a couple of years.

A metal case isn't necessary, and the clunking noises can be annoying (if it isn't super full).

At school we'd throw our pens (incl fpens) just inside, some had super cheap pencil cases that offered no protection at all.

These days I'm using a Lihit Lab pen case (I have several, but the one that goes with me everywhere is this one https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Smart-Fit-Actact-Compact-Pen-Case-Red/pd/15796 ). It is padded and waterproof and a good amount of stationery products fit in.

I also have the book type linked by OP a couple of posts above and it's absolutely huge and fits a great deal of stuff inside.

I also have a round (actually triangle!) leather pencil case, which is padded.

The greatest shame about leather pen cases is that they usually come in brown and black and no other colour. At best also in red. I'd like some pastel colours as well... (I mean the 1-4 pen types, well, and all others actually...)

I find it quite hard to find feminine but professional pen cases. Whenever shopping for pen products all office stuff is depicted with men, as if women don't work desk jobs and need pretty but professional products.. And I think many men would appreciate other colour choices apart from black & brown as well. I envy Japanese products, I always oggle all the pretty stuff on instagram..

Sorry for going a bit OT!

I really recommend the Lihit Lab stuff, esp the small book case I use is great if you're worried about your pens (due to the padding it has). I carry some fpens, a Parker Jotter, a couple of gel pens, a mechanical pencil and post-it notes, page markers, an eraser and a usb flash drive.

The book type above fits even an A6 notebook inside.

It all depends on how much stuff you need and how much you want to carry around.

Also the smaller book type is quite handy as I usually open just the top bit and pull the needed pen out, the huge book type needs a full opening. The small one I don't even need to take out of my handbag to get a couple of pens out..