A Question About 51 Nib Size Codes

djmaher

Ive done a bit of research, but sill can't find an answer to my query.

I have a 1949 "51" nib that I'm trying to determine a size on.

The only mark on the nib, other than the Parker imprint, and the date, is a "O" or a zero stamped just below the breather hole.

I've read that Parker, at least for a while anyway, stamped a code that indicated what the tipping material was on that particular nib, but that code was two letters.

I suspect that it's either a F or EF nib, but, I wonder if there is a way to know for sure.

Thanks for your help.

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djmaher

• FarmBoy

• pajaro

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker did not indicate the grade/size on a 51 nib.

Parker had a tool to measure the size called a nib grader.

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Would the "O" on the nib indicate tipping material, then?

Would the "O" on the nib indicate tipping material, then?

Any elements begin with O? I have seen R on a nib, I believe, but it has been a long time since I quit taking 51s apart to see what was in there.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Osmium?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I believe this is a circle and does not indicate anything. It may be a positioning aid or guide.

There is no mention of it in the Parker literature I have seen.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

This nib size/date guide does indicate numbers for different size nibs, but, does not say if the numeric system was for internal use only

http://parkercollector.com/codekey.html

Other reference materials indicate a 2-letter code, often including osmium and one other material for tipping.

It does not indicate whether or not those letters were stamped on the nib, or, just for internal use. Or whether it's stamped anywhere else on the pen, like the date code

I neglected to say that this nib was in a 51 Aero

This nib size/date guide does indicate numbers for different size nibs, but, does not say if the numeric system was for internal use only

http://parkercollector.com/codekey.html

Other reference materials indicate a 2-letter code, often including osmium and one other material for tipping.

It does not indicate whether or not those letters were stamped on the nib, or, just for internal use. Or whether it's stamped anywhere else on the pen, like the date code

Ruthemium perchance?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

There are the two letter codes on some of the 51 nibs like RU and perhaps PU but these codes do not indicate to the tipping size. Some have come with the explanation that the letters refer to the materal used for the tipping.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/216340-p-51-nib-codes/

And

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/69178-parker-51-nib/

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

My nib has "RU 1949" stamped just below the Parker USA imprint at the base of the nib.

The only other stamp is the "O" or "0" , located just under the breather hole on the nib, in the general location where modern nibs have a stamped size indication.

There is a historical element to my questions, I suppose. I imagine that these subjects have been bashed about before.

I wonder why Parker did go to the trouble of indicating nib material on the nib, especially since that indication would not likely been seen, or maybe even found necessary, by the end user. Maybe the nib repair "industry" was alive and well then, as there were so many 51s in production and use. Seems like an internal use-only thing. Like a part #, perhaps. Maybe it was a carryover from the War Years, where they had to keep track of and account for materials used in manufacture, because of rationing. And, eventually they stopped as it wasn't "required" anymore.

Same thing with the nib size codes. With many non-custom sizes available, it seems unlikely that they would makes specific nib sizes and not mark them somehow, to avoid mixups. If unofficially Parker made in excess of 20 million 51s, it seems that would require fairly rigid manufacturing control standards. Maybe they had specific factories only make specific sizes, negating the need to stamp nibs. Maybe they stopped to save production costs, because they deemed it unnecessary. Maybe FP users back then were not as spoiled for choice and as fussy about nib size, like we are nowadays.

So there is a historical curiosity for me. The current research, some of it anyway, indicates when they stopped doing certain manufacturing things. Not always the whys, I suppose. And most of us can only look at it from a modern perspective. Date codes are a good example. Why did they start them in the first place? And, did they stop solely because of cost, or did they perceive that no one really cared anymore? Were there laws at the time that requires them to do it, and, did those change?

And, can you imagine making millions of anything, with numerous, tiny parts, and not have a way to tightly control those parts somehow?

Maybe there was the occasional "whoops" moments coming off of the Parker assembly lines around the world. And, if there was, did they just fix the "problem", but maybe not go back and deal with the 20, 000 pens they just made? And, even that would be a really cool and interesting historical question to know the answer to.

Edited by djmaher

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, there is an explanation to the "O" or circle just below the breather hole of the 51 nibs. As per a nib chart drawing from Parker it was to indicate "other than Blue Diamond", which pretty much meant after the blue diamond guarantee was discontinued in 1947 for the vacumatic 51s. This comes from a Parker nib chart dated 12-9-47, so before the aerometric production started. I tried to include some pictures of portions of the chart.

post-6145-0-81683000-1546748890_thumb.jpg

post-6145-0-26885800-1546748898_thumb.jpg

Ernesto

"Like a Pen from Another Planet"

That's kinda awesome! Where did you get that diagram?

Did the Blue Diamond Guarantee apply to all 51s, or just Vacs? I can't remember.

I have a Mark 1 Aero, with no date codes visible (externally), and just the date on the nib. Which I know is not always accurate as to manufacture date. I do not know if the pen ever had work done. I'm having to replace the sac, as it split.

Thank you for your research and info.

I have a specific repair question surrounding the reassembly of my 51.

OK if I ask?

Thanks again!