• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• ENewton

• uceroy

• chromantic

And, why not? I'll give this one a try too, but I'm still wildly addicted to variety, so it's not going to be my favorite, per se, but inks that stand out this year for some reason:

1. Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo - this is my daily carry and a fabulous blue-black ink
  2. Diamine Salamander - my latest favorite murky green - love it!
  3. Waterman Audacious Red - I've been using it for markup in my EF Pilot Decimo, and it's really bright and well-behaved
  4. Colorverse Ham #65 - recently purchased and really like its color, shading, and flow
  5. Robert Oster Aussie Brown - because it turns out I like brown inks and it's my current favorite

Lots of other inks could have been in there - there are 27 other colors I've inked at least once this year! :D

Edited by LizEF

1. P.W. Akkerman Delfts Blauw

2. Penlux Mò Cobalt Blue

3. Montblanc Homer Greek Blue

4. Jacques Herbin Rouge d'Orient

5. Penlux Mò Peacock Blue

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

1. Herbin Vert de gris

2. Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün

3. Noodlers Black

4. Herbin Bleu pervenche (but could have been Vert Empire or Poussière de lune)

5. Sailor Yama-dori

Honorable mention: Monteverde California Teal

Some that have become regulars this year....... (versus favorites)

Edelstein Olivine (this was a surprise)

Edelstein Aventurine

KWZI El Dorado

KWZI Pine Green

Levenger Pomegranate

Of course, as always Pelikan 4001 Blue Black has remained a staple.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Not entirely sure if these all came out this year (some may have been late to my party) but they were all bought this year:

Organics Studios Walden Pond

Montblanc Swan Illusion

Montblanc Red Fox

Sailor Shikiori Yodaki

Krishna Jungle Volcano.

Basically my top inks of 2018 :

- Diamine Oxblood

- Pelikan Edelstein Olivine

- Diamine Blue Velvet (just edged Sargasso Sea by a bit)

- J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor

- Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

In 2018 I think I only got Hisoku and Aonibi, which I really like.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Of the inks I bought in 2018 Here are my favorites

Diamine Ancient Copper

Monteverde Olivine

Pen House Saijiki Ebizome

Favorite 5 used in 2018

Robert Oster Blue Water Ice

Diamine Ancient Copper

Montblanc UNICEF Turquoise

Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

Monteverde Olivine

Tried several nice inks this year but am most impressed with the three Stipulas - Dark Blue, Fading Grey and Light Blue; honorable mentions to Monteverde Sapphire and Take-sumi.

Most used ink still Kana-cho, pretty much my EDC.

eta: Inked a JIF with the L'amant that arrived earlier this week. I can already see it needs a wetter pen but wanted to check the color - lovely, indeed.

Edited by chromantic

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Bought in 2018:

• Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, which I had long thought would be a favorite, but which I delayed buying because of the cost. It was certainly worth the wait! I have never bought a backup bottle of any ink but might make an exception for this one.
  • Waterman Tender Purple, which I bought as a bluer replacement for Pelikan 4001 Violet. I plan to use the Waterman ink in vintage pens with sacs from now on.
  • Kuretake bokuteki sumi ink, which I use mainly with a brush, but which is also suitable for dip pens and has a nice matte finish.

Bought in 2017 but not used until about a week ago:

• J Herbin Amethyste de l'Oural. I am liking it better as it evaporates and darkens in my Kaweco Sport but will henceforth try to use it in wetter pens. I tried the Kaweco first, because I hesitated to put an ink with shimmer particles in a more expensive pen, but there is really very little shimmer, so probably I could use this ink in any modern pen.

Received as a gift:

• De Atramentis Brilliant Violet with Copper. This ink flows luxuriantly, with a markedly lubricated feel, in the Kaweco Sport and has a great deal of shimmer, so I probably won't be using it in other pens.

In no particular order:

1. Noodler's Blue-Black

2. Rohrer & Klingner Salix

3. Noodler's El Lawrence

4. De Atramentis Black-Green

5. Noodler's Zhivago

Well, in no particular order, these are five of the inks I've bought this year.

1. Pure Pens Saltire
  2. Diamine Skull & Roses
  3. Noodler's Walnut
  4. Noodler's Britannia rules the Waves
  5. Conklin Horizon Blue

And five favourites, also in no particular order (!)

1. Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black
  2. Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz
  3. Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black
  4. Diamine Classic Green
  5. Diamine Salamander.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I think I’ve only bought 2 bottles of ink this year. I hate typing out the entire names. IRO Purple and IRO light blue

KWZ Baltic Memories (bought in 2018)

KWZ IG Green Gold(used in 2018)

Diamine Umber(used in 2018)

Diamine Macassar(used in 2018)

Tie between: KWZ IG Tourqouise (used), KWZ IG Gummiberry (bought), and KWZ Brown Pink (used)

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Amongst those I've tried for the first time in 2018, my top 5:

fpn_1545561547__bce6a94d-a17b-43dd-8f71-

1. Sailor Yodaki, doppelgänger of my grail ink Akane.

2. 3Oysters Doldam, a very special grey that shifts between yellow, blue and grey, but there seems to be batch inconsistency which is a shame.

3. J. Herbin Rouge Grenat, a very saturated and rich red ink that is (happily) so not in the undersaturated watery style of J. Herbin.

4. Rohrer & Klingner Aubergine, new release from R&K is always welcome. Too bad it's an LE.

5. De Atramentis Document White. I know as a white ink it's pretty much useless, and it stains, but I've had a lot of fun playing with it.

Cynical Lgsoltek time:

And it's only fair to list also my bottom 5, those I've really hated:

fpn_1545561550__0b123565-ea60-4ffe-b6e2-

1. De Atramentis Document Red. That's not red. That's ugliness. Is there an ink uglier than this? (Yes there is, see #2.)

2. J. Herbin Rouille d'Ancre. Yes I've never tried it before until now. Stuff of nightmare.

3. De Atramentis Document Fog Grey. Not a fan of the colour though I don't hate it that much. But the behaviour! That feathering! That bleeding! Ugh.

4. Noodler's (Osprey) The Azure Main. Who says Noodler's makes quality ink? That kind of feathering and bleeding, you call it quality?

5. Sailor Yozakura. Sailor makes its version of Tundra Green. Cherry blossoms on snow? More like trampled cherry blossoms on dirt.

Edited by Lgsoltek

Quink Violet

Pelikan Brilliant Black 4001

Waterman Blue Black

Waterman South Sea Blue

Skrip #72 Emerald Green

Nothing new but I am fooling with some Noodlers inks , maybe next year .

• Waterman Tender Purple, which I bought as a bluer replacement for Pelikan 4001 Violet. I plan to use the Waterman ink in vintage pens with sacs from now on.

Did you see the pH tests from earlier this year? They suggest that Waterman inks are not nearly as safe as one would be led to believe by hearsay.