The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Another Visumaster Variant?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2018 - 18:45

So, I have a few Visumasters that I am currently restoring and selling.  One of them has raised a couple questions, so I need the experts in here.  I had thought this was a Visumaster 3, due to the standard black section, but it also has a cap with a medallion on it.  It is properly threaded for a late model pen, and it won't go onto a Visumaster 2, that has the visible section.

Thoughts?

fpn_1545417556__esterbrook_visumaster3_g

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2018 - 19:25

Leftovers?  I've had the opinion that the V3s were early transitionals made when WW-2 was winding down, using up the leftover plastic stock from VM series, halted in 1942 when the US got into the war. 

Often wondered why the company didn't continue using the VM patterns.  Maybe they weren't as stable as the standard mix. Quite beautiful, tho....

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2018 - 21:34

Leftovers?  I've had the opinion that the V3s were early transitionals made when WW-2 was winding down, using up the leftover plastic stock from VM series, halted in 1942 when the US got into the war. 

Often wondered why the company didn't continue using the VM patterns.  Maybe they weren't as stable as the standard mix. Quite beautiful, tho....

I've always had that opinion on many things, from pens to guitars to cars.  I know from experience that Ford would run the parts stock dry before fully updating the current year production.  My '68 Fairlane wagon, after a number of false attempts, was finally fixed by putting in the fan clutch from a '67 Galaxie.  I had bought the car from the original owners.

I've also suggested this on a lot of one-off, non-catalog pens I see being discussed.  And, factory repairs?  Who knows?  I have come across a number of Parker VS pens with Vacumatic nibs.

Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored Content

|