Beini Teasing New Penbbs Model

fudefan

Is it only on Taobao at present? Looks very attractive.

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JollyCynic

• woleizihan

• bass1193

• penzel_washinkton

Jolly, any difficulty with clearance and the interior cap dimension when you swap on a Bock nib? Do you use the existing feed, or does a Bock feed fit?

I noticed that the PenBBS logo that appears (or, rather, is obscured) below the nib collar is stamped. So maybe there will eventually be a stamped version of these nibs if they're continued to be produced in large enough quantities. Judging from the movement on Taobao, however, there really appears to be no appetite for them in their primary market.

It's apparently in the same ballpark as the 700r. Its capped length is 147mm, about the same as the 700r or PenBBS 456. Its unposted length* is 132mm, somewhere between the 700r's 133mm and 456's 130mm. I've seen no posted stats or pictures that show it posted, but it does appear to be designed to post ... Just perhaps not as deeply as the 456 does. The maximum barrel diameter is 15mm, so the same as the 700r, and a hair larger than the 456's 14.5mm. Its weight, though, is just 28g, compared to the 700r's 32g and the 456's 30g. Beini says this is due to less metal in the design. (The section doesn't have metal threads, for example, but where the rod disengages from the piston does.)

*The 132mm unposted length is listed with the traditional (short) PenBBS nib on it. If I put a Bock B nib on my 456s, they go from 130mm to 132mm.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I noticed that the PenBBS logo that appears (or, rather, is obscured) below the nib collar is stamped. So maybe there will eventually be a stamped version of these nibs if they're continued to be produced in large enough quantities. Judging from the movement on Taobao, however, there really appears to be no appetite for them in their primary market.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Lucky me for preferring extra fine nibs anyway, I guess! :lol:

Is it only on Taobao at present? Looks very attractive.

At this exact moment, it's only on Taobao. Beini, who runs their official Etsy shop, has said that she'll be putting the pens on Etsy, but hasn't given a date, as she's on a business trip right now. It'll probably be this week or next, though, but it's possible that the pens will only last a few days or even a few minutes on Etsy. PenBBS pens have a history of selling out quite quickly. I strongly doubt that the medium nibs will last more than a quarter of an hour, but I've been wrong by orders of magnitude before.

Jolly, any difficulty with clearance and the interior cap dimension when you swap on a Bock nib? Do you use the existing feed, or does a Bock feed fit?

There's no clearance problem on the PenBBS 456, or on the 309 or 267. I haven't personally tried any other models. Many, many people have trouble getting a Bock or Jowo nib onto the 308/266 due to cap clearance, but a few people have recently reported success, possibly due to tolerances. I'm not certain about this new 355. It's possible that the new rounded F and M nibs are 36 mm long, rather than the standard PenBBS mini-fude F which is 34mm long, but nobody's gotten one yet to measure, to my knowledge. Maybe Fudefan could measure when his comes, if he's ordered one.

The Bock feed doesn't work in the PenBBS nib collar. Swapping the nib is a bit of a tight fit using the existing feed, and I've ruined two or three of the nib units (but no feeds yet) swapping them in. (Once they're in, I prefer to swap the whole nib units around.) However, one of the guys on a Facebook group for watching PenBBS releases (so we can get in on the new pens before they're all sold out) suggested that JoWo feeds will friction-fit in the PenBBS nib collar if you use a few O-rings. He hasn't had leaks yet, but didn't comment on the flow. It's also been suggested on Reddit that Ahab feeds will fit the PenBBS pens and offers a great flow, but I haven't tested this, either.

Edited by JollyCynic

Is it not selling that well or it being released during/around Christmas have an effect?

Personally, I feel that they released too much in such a short amount of time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br4u4myjG2O/ for those who expecting to grab it first:

beini_zheng: I will try to update the Etsy listings if I come back early today. Model 355 in 2 colours with 3 nib size options and some Holiday version 355 will be available, but as the liquid cannot be shipped overseas, the holiday version will come with the metal box.

i guess we can expect the price at around 32-35$ for clear and 42-45$ for galaxy, right now they are at taobao for 29$ and 38$, will see anyway ><

Love the demo with snowflakes on it :wub:

Do note that the Taobao page has a disclaimer that the snowflakes are merely painted on and will wear away with use, so they're not permanent.

Do note that the Taobao page has a disclaimer that the snowflakes are merely painted on and will wear away with use, so they're not permanent.

Thank you for pointing that out! Very good of them to make that note :D

like snow they will melt over time ~~~ kinda cool actually :D years will pass and you will end up with clear demonstrator

like snow they will melt over time ~~~ kinda cool actually :D years will pass and you will end up with clear demonstrator

Poetic, isn't it! :lol:

Only Galaxy on Etsy now.... should have got up an hour earlier for a clear one. Galaxy is a nice looking material I just wish I could see ink level on that. On a new design like this it's also nice to have the demonstrator it make it easy to see how it works. Oh well.

Yeah, I snagged a clear demonstrator. This is a filling system where I definitely want to see the inner workings.

Edited by jekostas

The issue with the Galaxy material is that its pretty much opaque, so monitoring ink levels will be a PITA :( I have a 323 Galaxy, tried putting it up against the light but couldn't see anything inside. Hopefully PenBBS releases them in the other more translucent acrylics such as cloud / smog.

The issue with the Galaxy material is that its pretty much opaque, so monitoring ink levels will be a PITA :( I have a 323 Galaxy, tried putting it up against the light but couldn't see anything inside. Hopefully PenBBS releases them in the other more translucent acrylics such as cloud / smog.

I had thought about getting the 323 in Galaxy. In any case at least I can try the 355 in hopes of getting cloud or smog later.

I have no problem monitoring the ink level in a Conid Minimalistica Delrin (an actual Bulkfiller), with no window. I hold it up to my ear and move it back and forth. Other option is to weigh it.

There was a time when the majority of pens had no window. People managed.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Damnit I missed out. someone PM me the next time they see them listed on etsy, I wants me a clear one.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)