The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 51 Lookalike Threads Not Opening

parker 51

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ritvik

Ritvik

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2018 - 14:48

Okay, so sometime back i bought these 2 parker 51 lookalike pens to try out hooded nibs(which I really liked). Now, one of them has developed skipping an hard starting issues, because I'm a lefty and many paper fibres and gunk are stuch in the grip section. I would really like to open it and give it a thorough clean, and it would satisfy me very much so. Since it is a very cheap pen (<$1), I did not hesitate to carry out repairs myself. I watched a few tutorials and realized that the feed can be accessed by rotating the grip section on its threads.

Now, I tried this, with the result that it worked magnificently on one pen (the good one) and god help me but for the life of me i can NOT open the other one. I have tried everything, every largest amount of force I can muster, but I can't do it. Now, I as it is a relatively modern pen, I don't think the threads are covered in shellac, but in some kind of glue. Again, I could not find any traces of anything on the threads of the other one(they are the same in every way).

What should I do?? Please guide me.  

Sponsored Content

#2 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:01

Tried with heat?

#3 Ritvik

Ritvik

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:21

Tried with heat?

Yeah, i tried using a blowdrier, but that just made the sac contract and become shorter. Anyways, it could have not been more than 40C or more. I tried putting it in very hot water, still wouldn't budge. Do you think I should try a candle If I am very, very careful??

#4 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:27

I wouldn't, unless I was an expert with open flames. Could turn nasty.

Is it a Hero 616? I bought three of these for approx £2 for a comparison with the real thing*. None of them had used glue on the section - but one was much tighter than the others.

I eventually got it off using rubber to grip the section and the threads and by working it back and forward (ie tighten/loosen)

Good luck.

*slightly smaller than a real 51 and much poorer build quality and materials - but pretty bulletproof pens, once the nibs had been a bit tweaked. Incredible value! I still use two of them

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, 51

Sponsored Content

|