Lamy 2000 Leak Ink Hole

GJMekenkamp

I think you need to send that in to Lamy. It's possibly something isn't right.

Although, I will say my L2k will burp ink into the cap upon uncapping when it is really low on ink. As I uncap the pen, it will come out of the breather hole (or "ink hole"). I think this happens because of how wet of an ink I'm using (it is quite wet), and there is basically only ink in the feed/collector, and none in the main ink reservoir, so it allows the ink to be pulled into the cap by the suction of uncapping.

I have never had it just slowly drip ink from the nib like that though, even when I'm writing it all the way dry. It looks like you put the pen back together correctly, but I would take it apart one more time and look at the orientation of the O-ring. Maybe they aren't directional, but try flipping it around and see if that helps. I thought I recalled they have a bevel to them, but I don't know if that is only one edge or what...might be an easy fix. For what it's worth, I've never greased my O-ring, only the piston...

I would refill the pen and write with it to see if the issue persists. If it only does this when it is close to being fully empty, then just top it off when it gets low and enjoy your pen. Because of the ink burping issue, I refill mine a bit sooner now and have no more issues. But if it starts doing this regardless of ink level or ink used, then I'd send it to Lamy for repair.

Yes, I agree with you.

I cleaned the pen, refilled it, and the same problem started. I saw terrible nib creep close to the nib.

Brought it back to the seller, he will look into the matter.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GJMekenkamp

• cengiz

• 1nkulus

• sirgilbert357

Yes, I agree with you.

I cleaned the pen, refilled it, and the same problem started. I saw terrible nib creep close to the nib.

Brought it back to the seller, he will look into the matter.

Good, I hope they get it sorted quickly.

Bad news I'm afraid. Almost emptied the barrel without trouble.

Can the problem now be that I just need to get it 'visible not empty'? Problems started when I could not see ink in the barrel anymore...

Difference with last time is that ink is not coming out of the ink hole, it's just creeping like crazy.

EDIT: I cleaned the pen and filled it with Parker Permanent Blue ink (instead of Akkerman ink (which is rumored to be rebranded Diamine ink with added surfactants), and which is really really wet).

fpn_1550478260__2019-02-18_09_23_26-wind

fpn_1550478238__2019-02-18_09_23_03-wind

It makes me think, ¿When does the problem occurs? And with this I mean, do you keep your pen somewhere aside from you, like a backpack or a drawer? And how is the temperature difference? Does the pen feels cold when you start using it?

If this is the case, the problem may be due to gas (air and water vapor and any volatile components in the ink) expansion upon heating and pushing the ink out. This is a thing that I have noticed on many pens when they are about to be empty, therefore contain more gas volume inside the ink compartment. The solution can be to warm the pen in your hand with the nib facing up. This will allow the gases inside the pen to expand and exit the pen without pushing the ink out.

My guess is that you are getting one big burp of ink each time you start using the pen (or after relatively long breaks without touching the pen).

If, on the other hand, ink keeps leaking out of the pen when it is nib down until it gets empty, you have a sealing problem or a surface tension problem.

A surface tension problem can arise when you clean your pen with a strong surfactant and it is not properly rinsed off. Normally, ink stays inside the pen by means of a difference in atmospheric pressure (the air outside the pen pushes the ink). Air can come inside the pen in the form of tiny bubbles and compensate the outside pressure allowing ink out. You can think of this bubbles as tiny balloons that need to be inflated, and surface tension as how hard is to inflate each bubble. What detergents do is to make extremely easy to fill new bubbles (makes really soft balloons that fill with the tiniest pressure). This, I think is what happens with very wet inks. I became aware of this when I was cleaning my pens with dish soap and one of them became uncontrollably wet and started dripping ink whenever the nib was facing down. This got solved with thorough rinsing of the section and feed. Hope it helps.

Tadeo.

It makes me think, ¿When does the problem occurs? And with this I mean, do you keep your pen somewhere aside from you, like a backpack or a drawer? And how is the temperature difference? Does the pen feels cold when you start using it?

If this is the case, the problem may be due to gas (air and water vapor and any volatile components in the ink) expansion upon heating and pushing the ink out. This is a thing that I have noticed on many pens when they are about to be empty, therefore contain more gas volume inside the ink compartment. The solution can be to warm the pen in your hand with the nib facing up. This will allow the gases inside the pen to expand and exit the pen without pushing the ink out.

My guess is that you are getting one big burp of ink each time you start using the pen (or after relatively long breaks without touching the pen).

If, on the other hand, ink keeps leaking out of the pen when it is nib down until it gets empty, you have a sealing problem or a surface tension problem.

A surface tension problem can arise when you clean your pen with a strong surfactant and it is not properly rinsed off. Normally, ink stays inside the pen by means of a difference in atmospheric pressure (the air outside the pen pushes the ink). Air can come inside the pen in the form of tiny bubbles and compensate the outside pressure allowing ink out. You can think of this bubbles as tiny balloons that need to be inflated, and surface tension as how hard is to inflate each bubble. What detergents do is to make extremely easy to fill new bubbles (makes really soft balloons that fill with the tiniest pressure). This, I think is what happens with very wet inks. I became aware of this when I was cleaning my pens with dish soap and one of them became uncontrollably wet and started dripping ink whenever the nib was facing down. This got solved with thorough rinsing of the section and feed. Hope it helps.

Tadeo.

He said he refilled the pen and the problem began again. I don't think it could be temperature differential causing this -- especially if the pen is full.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Tadeo.

Temperature difference is 19 degrees celsisus to hand temperature. Since the leakage started the pen hasn't left the study. The pen does feel cold, but an aluminium section always does.

The nib is stored facing up and I do preheat the pen.

I have not used any surfactant/cleaner, just pure water.

But thanks for the diagnosis :) ! I'll keep it in mind in case another of my pens starts leaking around.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have excellent news. Since I greased the piston I have had zero problems with the pen! It hasn't leaked whatsoever :)

Oh, and the O-ring between the body and the section, which came loose when unscrewing the barrel, is tightly in place again.

I guess the main solution was greasing the piston. It moves really smooth now!

Did you buy your Lamy 2000 from Goulet? Where did you purchase yours from?

• 3 weeks later...

There should be no ritual involved in using the pen. If so, it is faulty.

I have never experienced anything similar in all my pens and none of them are stored nib up, they are left flat in a case.

You will probably get a new pen from Lamy. You could have also had the nib swapped, if you wanted.

Any updates?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

There should be no ritual involved in using the pen. If so, it is faulty.

I have never experienced anything similar in all my pens and none of them are stored nib up, they are left flat in a case.

You will probably get a new pen from Lamy. You could have also had the nib swapped, if you wanted.

Any updates?

I hope they will save the nib... It is a marvellous nib to write with!

No updates, the pen is still in Heidelberg.

I hope they will save the nib... It is a marvellous nib to write with!

No updates, the pen is still in Heidelberg.

Considering the issue, it is likely a new pen will be sent.

There could have been a chance of saving the nib, had you included a note.

You should probably receive the pen within the next 10-14 days, unless it has gone missing.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Considering the issue, it is likely a new pen will be sent.

There could have been a chance of saving the nib, had you included a note.

You should probably receive the pen within the next 10-14 days, unless it has gone missing.

I hope I will get the same nib, I loved it!

It's been 6 weeks now (roughly), hoping to get it back somewhere in April. The fountain pen store owner will contact me as soon as he gets it back from Lamy.

I hope I will get the same nib, I loved it!

It's been 6 weeks now (roughly), hoping to get it back somewhere in April. The fountain pen store owner will contact me as soon as he gets it back from Lamy.

thumbup.gif

You could always send it back, again, if you are unhappy with the nib. headsmack.gif

Fingers crossed, it all works out.

Engineer :

The last time I sent a pen (a Studio 2012 Royal Red special edition) for repair via my local LAMY retailer here in Australia, it took nearly 6 months for it to come back. It was good as new when it did, though! Totally worth the wait.

That is a long turnaround.

They probably process repairs from down under in batches. biggrin.png The CS, as always, is stellar.

Engineer :

• 3 weeks later...

I have received the pen! It is fixed, they replaced the piston-unit.

After writing with it for a couple of days, the problem seems to have been solved!

If you hear nothing after this post, the problem hasn't returned :)

Thank you all for your help and advice!

Excellent, enjoy the reams of happiness that await. thumbup.gif

OTOH, I assume Lamy did not swap your nib?

Engineer :

• 4 weeks later...

Update: No more leaking. It is a lovely pen, dependable and smooth-nibbed!

I finally found a pen which makes Edelstein Smokey Quartz look beautiful! Every other pen I tried with this ink did't do right to the wonderful brown color, but with the Lamy the brown is just spot-on beautiful.

Edited by GJMekenkamp

Update: No more leaking. It is a lovely pen, dependable and smooth-nibbed!

Thanks for the update. thumbup.gif

A satisfactory outcome indeed. Enjoy.

Engineer :