Lamy 2000 Leak Ink Hole

GJMekenkamp

Dear fellow Lamy owners,

I have bought a M nib Lamy 2000. Marvellous writer! Amazing nib, amazing ink flow.

But the pen tends to disagree with the ink (Aurora Blue). It throws it out via the ink hole.

I have done some googling, but I could not find a permanent solution to this problem. A thorough cleaning did solve the problem partially, but not completely.

It seems that temperature has a lot to do with it. I think the burping mainly occurs when having it horizontally and when writing. But I should be able to leave the pen on a desk for 5 minutes without it burping out ink, right?

Does anyone here have a permanent solution? I don't think it is a manufacturing problem, perhaps it's the user haha.

P.S. the Netherlands is fairly cold at the moment, and the school where I work is pretty warm.

Greetings,

Gert-Jan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GJMekenkamp

• 1nkulus

• cengiz

• sirgilbert357

Carry the pen nib up. Once you reach the school just store the pen standing nib up till the pen's temperature has reached the ambient school temperature(say 10-15mins). The warm expanding air will have escaped the pen from the nib part during this stand up storage as the pen heats up to the warm ambient school temperature. Once this is done simply use the pen, it will not burp.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you all for your replies!

I cleaned it (couple of rinses with water), let it rest on tissue paper nib down for a while, and put in a different ink (Visconti Blue).

In another topic I read that Aurora Blue has shown nib creep (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/14352-aurora-blue/)

If there is nothing wrong with the piston, I'm sure the 'letting it heat up' method works!

Is the piston stiff? it might need greasing, as there might be an air leak.

You can grease the piston easily by removing the seciton and sticking a Q tip with a tiny bit of silicon grease into the hole and swirling it around then running the piston a few times up and down.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I do not know how smooth the piston needs to go. As far as I can tell it runs pretty smooth. Sorry to sound stupid, but I do not see how greasing the piston helps preventing ink leakage. Could you be so kind to explain?

The problem has returned. Not as bad as before, but it seems that the heat from by hands is enough to encourage too much ink flow.

When you fill so you expel some ink back then fill up again? This can stop piston fillers from burping. If that doesn’t work there’s an air leak or something. Last night I was writing for an hour with the pen constantly being heated in my hands and there was no leaking. Btw I’m using Noodlers Navy but I really don’t think any ink should make a pen leak...

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

I do indeed expel some ink after filling.

Mmm, it may be an ink leak then.

Are you sure the silicon grease does not clog the feed in any way?

• 2 weeks later...

The problem seems to have solved itself one way or another.

It doesn't leak anymore since the pen is only stored nib up. Between writing periods (the couple of minutes reading before writing again) the pen is stored nib up as well.

Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

It started leaking again.

This time I took it apart (following Goulet Company's video).

What I found is that the o-ring came out with the barrel. Perhaps this may have caused the problem. I put it back, and will silicon grease the inside of the barrel.

WIll keep you posted!

Any good news?

Yes, I have excellent news. Since I greased the piston I have had zero problems with the pen! It hasn't leaked whatsoever :)

Oh, and the O-ring between the body and the section, which came loose when unscrewing the barrel, is tightly in place again.

I guess the main solution was greasing the piston. It moves really smooth now!

Yes, I have excellent news. Since I greased the piston I have had zero problems with the pen! It hasn't leaked whatsoever :)

Oh, and the O-ring between the body and the section, which came loose when unscrewing the barrel, is tightly in place again.

I guess the main solution was greasing the piston. It moves really smooth now!

👍

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you had it before you needed to regrease the piston? Just curious.

The first symptoms of a degreased piston showed 2 days after I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news I'm afraid. Almost emptied the barrel without trouble.

Can the problem now be that I just need to get it 'visible not empty'? Problems started when I could not see ink in the barrel anymore...

Difference with last time is that ink is not coming out of the ink hole, it's just creeping like crazy.

EDIT: I cleaned the pen and filled it with Parker Permanent Blue ink (instead of Akkerman ink (which is rumored to be rebranded Diamine ink with added surfactants), and which is really really wet).

fpn_1550478260__2019-02-18_09_23_26-wind

fpn_1550478238__2019-02-18_09_23_03-wind

Edited by GJMekenkamp

I think you need to send that in to Lamy. It's possibly something isn't right.

Although, I will say my L2k will burp ink into the cap upon uncapping when it is really low on ink. As I uncap the pen, it will come out of the breather hole (or "ink hole"). I think this happens because of how wet of an ink I'm using (it is quite wet), and there is basically only ink in the feed/collector, and none in the main ink reservoir, so it allows the ink to be pulled into the cap by the suction of uncapping.

I have never had it just slowly drip ink from the nib like that though, even when I'm writing it all the way dry. It looks like you put the pen back together correctly, but I would take it apart one more time and look at the orientation of the O-ring. Maybe they aren't directional, but try flipping it around and see if that helps. I thought I recalled they have a bevel to them, but I don't know if that is only one edge or what...might be an easy fix. For what it's worth, I've never greased my O-ring, only the piston...

I would refill the pen and write with it to see if the issue persists. If it only does this when it is close to being fully empty, then just top it off when it gets low and enjoy your pen. Because of the ink burping issue, I refill mine a bit sooner now and have no more issues. But if it starts doing this regardless of ink level or ink used, then I'd send it to Lamy for repair.

Edited by sirgilbert357

How long have you had it before you needed to regrease the piston? Just curious.

It depends on use, but I typically have to regrease mine about once a year. You'll know when its time, it just takes more effort to turn it. A freshly greased L2k is almost effortless when working the piston.