The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Matching Fp Inks To Hobonichi Monthly Colours

hobonichi monteverde herbin platinum birmingham pen co kwz monami colorverse krishna

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 13:47

I haven't quite finished May but I think it's going to be the Monami Olika Olive. I was really surprised how different it looked in my Pilot Metro (the pen I usually use in my Hobonichi) and in the EF vintage Hero I have - it was almost a different colour. (Sorry - can't get pics to format right side up - they look fine when I take them but seem to randomly align here!)

IMG_0921.JPG

and here are my options for June, a dark greyish green with slight brown overtones: 

IMG_0920.JPG

Sponsored Content

#22 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:40

OK, so got a little out of synch and busy with other stuff. But if anyone's interested, here were my options for May (an olive green):

IMG_0926.JPG

and I did go with the Monami Olika:

IMG_0927.JPG

June was dark green and I went with my own mix:

IMG_0928.JPG

and July is a greyish turquoise. These were the options I had:

IMG_0924.JPG

and I went with Birmingham Ink's Fountain Turquoise as I love their slightly greyed colours:

IMG_0922.JPG

Coming up for August: a soft blue black/grey with purplish overtones. Here is my selection to try but I'm leaning towards another custom mix I made as I don't have a full bottle of Birmingham's Midnight Horizon which is probably a better match: 

IMG_0923.JPG

#23 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2019 - 13:00

So, I did go for my Platinum Mixable custom mix in a soft blueish grey (which I've called Pidgeon) for August:

IMG_0929.JPG

September had what I thought was one of my least favourite colours for the month, a sort of mid reddish brown, but once I started colouring them in, I realised I quite like some of these colours. I'm leaning towards Monteverde's Joy, a lovely warm brown:

IMG_0930.JPG

#24 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2019 - 14:22

So Sept was Monteverde's JOY:

IMG_0950.JPG

Oct is purple, here are my choices:

IMG_0951.JPG

Closest is probably Birmingham's Midnight Horizon, but I only have a sample of this so I'll probably use my own mix which I made up from the Platinium mixable inks last year.

Can anyone tell me why my photos are upsidedown? They're OK in file explorer... 

#25 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 13:49

IMG_0974.JPG

So OK, I did go with my mix for October, although Krishna's Anokhi was a close second. It's a little cooler than my mix but I liked it so much I used up a whole fill of my Moonman M2 eyedropper. 

For November, which is dark green but a cooler/bluer colour than June, I have a few selections including a couple of the Sailor Studio inks:

IMG_0973.JPG

I leaning towards using Sailor Studio 462 in a wet nib to see what it does. Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine is a good match but I find it a little too clear, I prefer my colours a bit dustier or greyed, and I only have a sample of Pelikan Edelstein Olivine.I'm also a fan of the Beaufort Scots Pine but again, I don't have much of this.

#26 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 22:48

Iro 100th ItoiSan is a close match to November

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#27 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2019 - 20:22

Hi Namo

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try when I'm next buying samples.

#28 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:49

So, November is a blueish green and I originally had Birmingham's Fern Hollow Creek for this month. I love that it writes blue but dries a blue green but it's still a little too blue to be a perfect match. I invested in a some of the Sailor Studio inks and I really like them all - especially the dual-colour inks. No. 462 is one of these in that the base colour is a greyish blue green but it dries with purple overtones when applied heavily and this is my pick for this month. It's a little greyer than the monthly tab colour but it shades nicely too:

IMG_0975.JPG

December is a soft faded warm red. I don't have many reds and I couldn't find one I really liked last year so I mixed my own using the Platinum Mixable inks. I still love this - though it may not be everyone's idea of red - but there are some other options. I think the Akkerman Steenrood van Vermeer might be good in a finer pen to lighten it up and I also like their Garuda Rood. Mars Curiosity might work and I Noodler's Rabaul Red is another contender:

IMG_0976.JPG

#29 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:42

So, last one. December's red is a soft, faded, almost pink rather than a strong colour and I had a lot of fun trying out different inks. I quite liked Akkerman's Garuda Rood but this was a little browner than the month tab (my base for choosing the closest colour match). I do like their bottles though. In the end I went with my mix again as I really like this colour for this month. It's made up using the Platinum Mixable inks which I've slowly been collecting, using the following proportions if anyone wants to give it a try:

0.5 ml Sunny Yellow

0.5 ml Earth Brown

2 ml Flame Red

2 ml Platinum Dilution Liquid

6 drops Smoke Black

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year, best wishes for 2020.

IMG_0978.JPG

#30 Purplecate

Purplecate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:38

I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at these inks purely as a colour match for the Japanese Hobonichi Planner Daily Pages. I haven't changed most of them from my initial choices and I'm really pleased with the set as a group, but I'm going to keep on exploring new options, including the suggested Pilot 100th anniversary ink, if I can get a sample. I was also given some ink for Christmas so will see how this matches up, however, I won't be posting any more to this thread, so here's the final round up:

IMG_0980.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hobonichi, monteverde, herbin, platinum, birmingham pen co, kwz, monami, colorverse, krishna

Sponsored Content

|