Will Inking An Unused Pen Devalue It?

Pingu

C-worder is a phrase coined by (IIRC) FPN member OcalaFlGuy, and means "Collector" (with a capital C -- they're the people who buy pens and stick them in display cases. I differentiate C-worders from people like me in that the only pens I don't use is because I haven't gotten them fixed yet.

There are collectors, and then there are collectors. Some collectors have plenty of money (and willingness) to splurge on pens, in a "he who dies with the most toys wins" kinda way, with no thought of how that would affect their net worth materially. Some collectors 'collect' because they think they know their 'business', and can accrue assets that will appreciate in value and thus increase their net worth.

I have all the respect in the world for the former, even if I may not agree with individual tastes in writing instruments.

But if I ink it and decide its not for me, will it be devalued if I do decide to sell it, compared to it being uninked and essentially NOS?

Yes, it would... but does it matter?

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pingu

• Bo Bo Olson

• Uncial

• inkstainedruth

Thanks Bo Bo Olson... the M600 is such a nice size and so light in the hand. If they reissued a Tortoiseshell M600 id prefer that instead. If the 800 is really sellable for silly prices then Id definitely think about cashing in for alternative special editions or Toledo instead🙂

There are collectors, and then there are collectors. Some collectors have plenty of money (and willingness) to splurge on pens, in a "he who dies with the most toys wins" kinda way, with no thought of how that would affect their net worth materially. Some collectors 'collect' because they think they know their 'business', and can accrue assets that will appreciate in value and thus increase their net worth.

I have all the respect in the world for the former, even if I may not agree with individual tastes in writing instruments.

Yes, it would... but does it matter?

Youre right. Im pondering the conundrum of whether pens are collected for use or to look at. If its for use, I reckon it boils down to a handful of pens in rotation. No-one can possibly use tens of pens on a regular basis. I think I need to bond with that M800... 🙂 Edited by Pingu

Toledo is so out of my price range....I don't even think of the word.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You got it even cheaper than I ! Just checked my invoice and I got mine for £395. I think the list price was £425, so that would have been a 7% discount not 10% as I had thought. Btw Im a bit astonished at those inflated eBay prices you quoted, I was aware it was collectible and commanded a premium even when new compared to normal M800s, but those prices seem a bit extreme.

Do you use yours on a regular basis and how do you like it?

Yes I use mine, the M800 seemed a bit big when I first got one, but now it is my go to size for Pelikans. I must have 7 M800 size Pelikans. The tortoise is the prettiest to me. I bought the accompanying Ball Point to match and have the M400 tortoise modern and vintage.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've been pondering selling some pens of late and settled on a rule for myself - if it isn't used it gets sold.

That said, I honestly think you'd be barking mad to sell it. It's a very beautiful pen and they are great writers. Personally, I keep it, ink it and treasure it.

But it all still boils down to that question........do you like/love it?

I've been pondering selling some pens of late and settled on a rule for myself - if it isn't used it gets sold.

That said, I honestly think you'd be barking mad to sell it. It's a very beautiful pen and they are great writers. Personally, I keep it, ink it and treasure it.

But it all still boils down to that question........do you like/love it?

Thanks Uncial...

I like it but I dont love it..yet. I suppose its difficult to bond with a pen if you dont use it regularly. Or like having a guitar or violin that is unplayed. I love my M600 GoG, I think because I do use that and it feels truly mine.

If its for use, I reckon it boils down to a handful of pens in rotation. No-one can possibly use tens of pens on a regular basis.

What constitutes 'regular' use, though? If I use a pen just once each month (for argument's sake, invariably) to copy a short poem or prayer or sutra, would that be regular use? What about a pen primarily for signing cheques, even if the occasion to sign a cheque these days does not often arise?

I have about 175 (currently or previously) commercially available writing inks here. I enjoy having them available for my use, at any time and for any purpose, and I've written with most of them – even if only to find out what they're like, but I haven't finished any single bottle of ink in years. Most of the time the bottles themselves sit inside desk drawers, storage boxes, etc. and I don't put even the 'pretty' bottles with either elegant designs or containing pleasing colours on display; and of course I don't intend to sell any of the opened bottles (or even unopened 'spare' bottles for not-so-easy-to-get ink colours). So, does that count as collecting inks for use, as opposed to for display or for reselling?

That's the way I feel about my fountain pens too. But for the fact that I'm not personally into cars, it's akin to having nice cars in one's garage – or, better still, one's fleet – that one could take out 'for a spin' once in a while, on a whim and/or for leisure, but the cars would equally be available for serious or heavy use when there's a need.

What I don't want to do is put my 'collected' possessions in a pristine display case or showroom. It makes no logical difference to me whether the object is a $20 bottle of ink, $200 fountain pen, $2000 leather jacket or a $200000 automobile.

I suppose its difficult to bond with a pen if you dont use it regularly. Or like having a guitar or violin that is unplayed.

I wonder: Do you have to feel you bonded with everything you own to make the individual items worth keeping? Does price (or market value) come into that consideration?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

You make some thought provoking points, A Smug Dill.

I have about 15 luxury pens but only use 2 regularly ie my go-to pens for daily purposes. But you certainly can have tens or even hundreds of pens as part of a collection and theres nothing wrong with that.

No you dont have to use a pen (or other functional object) to bond with it, but it helps promote sentimental value. The Tortoiseshell M800 has more material value than the GoG M600, but less sentimental value to me personally. But both are worth keeping.

Time can also increase the keepability and sentimental value of a pen even if you dont use it often. Particularly if it is no longer made (or is still made but not the same). An example is my Cross USA Townsend which I have scarcely used for almost 30 years, but its a keeper. I am also very sentimentally attached to my Parker Classic Grain dOrge even though I never use it now but is another pen that Ive had since childhood.

Isnt it intriguing how there are so many facets to why and how we collect pens? 🙂

If you are asking if an inked/used pen is worth less than an uninked new pen of the same make and model I suggest the answer is obvious.

Pretend you are at your favorite pen store and decide on a pen. The retailer offers you a pen new in the unopened box and one that has been inked and used for only one fill of ink. The pens are otherwise identical. They are the same price. Which one do you buy?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If you are asking if an inked/used pen is worth less than an uninked new pen of the same make and model I suggest the answer is obvious.

Pretend you are at your favorite pen store and decide on a pen. The retailer offers you a pen new in the unopened box and one that has been inked and used for only one fill of ink. The pens are otherwise identical. They are the same price. Which one do you buy?

Good point! I'd fight for reduced price on the used one, assuming it was in good shape after it's one fill. I'm a cheapwad, though :lol:

I agree with FarmBoy. If you ink or dip it, it will reduce it's value. Period. And I doubt there is any difference between dipping or inking (to me, both are used and I'd only pay used prices).

That said, this is a relatively new pen and there are still plenty of new and mint condition out there. So, I don't think for this one the difference will be that much, maybe around $100 tops (It is not like you have a Patrician Onyx with perfect color and uninked in your hands). But, you'd still recover your money if you use it.

Can't say what you should do. But, I can tell you that although I have several vintage pens that will remain uninked, my M800 Tortoise is in regular rotation and I love it.

Edited by Lam1

I agree with FarmBoy. If you ink or dip it, it will reduce it's value. Period. And I doubt there is any difference between dipping or inking (to me, both are used and I'd only pay used prices).

That said, this is a relatively new pen and there are still plenty of new and mint condition out there. So, I don't think for this one the difference will be that much, maybe around $100 tops (It is not like you have a Patrician Onyx with perfect color and uninked in your hands). But, you'd still recover your money if you use it.

Can't say what you should do. But, I can tell you that although I have several vintage pens that will remain uninked, my M800 Tortoise is in regular rotation and I love it.

If I dip it only, then I could swap out the nib for a new one?

Or I suppose some might consider a pre-owned pen to be not new regardless of whether its ever been filled with ink.

Im thinking of getting a normal M800 instead to see how I get along with the size, that might be a solution to avoid inking the Tortoiseshell until Im sure Id keep it.

Sell the 800, get 3-5 600's.

Get two fine expensive rare 600's, a tortoise 400 and a tortoise 400nn. Get one in semi-flex and the other in maxi-semi-flex....................or get 3 600's and two '50's nibs.

The nibs will fit the 600's.

Sell the 800 and get a sea green tortoise......& or a '30's 101 or 101n, full tortoise. or both.

At the price stated, it is very over priced, when one can see what one can get from such money.

Even a Toledo .............if so look for a '30's-50's one with a better nib than modern....post '82.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for he suggestions BBO. I wouldnt get trade it in for multiple pens as personally I cant possibly use so many pens, but Ive always been fascinated by Toledo... even though I imagine it will be as big and heavy as the 800...!

Btw I visited Toledo a few years ago and thoroughly recommend the place. I dont recall seeing Pelikan Toledo pens sold there (!) but I picked up a couple of damascene ware.

Back before I got the Andreas Lambrou book, the only thing I knew about MB was the 146/9. There was a live auction lot; a 400nn, 450/455 mp/bp and some ugly MB. I didn't want any MB...and I knew the MB was going to drive the price up. I was going to sell the mp/bp but didn't. Price was E170+25% for the lot.

I got home and found that that ugly never heard off MB was (then) worth $200. :yikes:...E150.

I'd never even heard of a 139.....that the (52-54 only) MB 234 1/2 Deluxe is a refined version of. Is a standard sized pen. KOB, semi-flex. Girth is a bit thicker than standard. (Seems some folks didn't care for the cigar/torpedo shaped 146/9.) 4 1/2 is the nib size.

As 'noobie' I tested my @ 20 (vintage and much cheaper than new....pre Chinese) pens for balance. I'd not expected the back weighted because of brass guts 234 1/2 to have good balance.....but it does. If one lets it rest where it wants.

I had three 'best' balanced pens each different. The other two were a thin medium-long Geha 725 and a standard sized P-75. A 400nn finished 4th.

The great balanced and not ugly at all 234 1/2 Deluxe, with the Meisterstuck clip (the regular 234 1/4has a different clip and cap ring) got even prettier, a few years back when it was then worth $500. :D

I don't know if the extremely rare & beautiful MB 234 1/2 Deluxe got sold for the last price I saw on the Buy Now Idiot button, $900, but I am willing to sell it for that much.

Hell, just for you, I'll let my best pen go for only $850..........

They do have different sized Toledo's; especially in vintage before the big 800....I just wonder if it can match the nib and balance of my grand standard sized MB. :unsure: :unsure:

A 700 could be small enough.

S6TQikY.jpg

bYWN5De.jpg