My Vintage Mb Collection

siamackz

Great website Siamackz, a real treasure trove! Coincidentally I have also just purchased a 222 albeit the plain black variety and am waiting for it to arrive.

great news, and I hope you enjoy your pen!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• dascott

• Tom Kellie

• AlohaLani787

One of the great things about this thread is it has got me looking more closely at my own pens to see whether there are any inconsistencies. Speaking of which my 222 arrived and appears to have a different piston mechnism to yours Siamackz. Any thoughts? Also, the clip doesn't look original.

post-99892-0-29687100-1558432322.jpg

post-99892-0-69498200-1558432335.jpg

Thanks for sharing pics Dascott! I think the clip might be from an MB sub brand pen of that period. It looks just like the ones MB used for the Montblanc brand but your's doesn't have 'Montblanc' imprinted on the face of the clip. I had a Stoffhaas pan made by MB with a clip like your's. It might have been a common replacement clip when the owner lost the original one. I don't know, I am guessing.

Thank for pointing out the filling mechanism. I think you have actually made me realize that the mechanism on my pen is not correct:

1. Collectible Stars mentions the 222 under Stoßfüller i.e. push knob (like yours), and the 322 under Druckfuüller i.e. push button (like mine)

2. All the catalogues that I have seen from the 1930s show the 222 as Stoßfüller and the 322 as Druckfuüller

3. I have not found any examples of the 222 as a push button online either

4. Catalogues and CSI suggest that the 222 and 322 are about 14.5 cm capped. However my pen is 12.5cm capped

4. A 1932 catalogue shows a 221 K "Damenformat" version of the 22x which is a push button and measures 12.5cm capped

I know that every variant of every pen has not been documented and so we always find examples that are not documented. I don't know this mine is a Frankenpen or what?

Maybe some experts will help us solve this mystery :)

Edited by siamackz

Thanks siamackz! Well spotted re the clip. I dug out my Reflex 320 which has the exact same clip. It looks like the correct period clip you have is the same as on the 23x models.

My 222 is 12.5cm capped and 14.5cm posted, so I am kind of perplexed by your measurements.

I am a fan of the simplicity of push button fillers, especially on my 32x pens but this is my first "push knob". Let's hope we get to the bottom of your beautiful PL.

I made a translation mistake :) My 222 is 12.5cm capped, which is the same as the 322. So it could be a Frankenpen, or something else? A knowledgable dealer told me that he has handled/sold about 7 different coloured 222s all with pushbuttons instead of push knobs. So, I don't know.

Edited by siamackz

I dug out my 322 for comparison. The 222 is a slightly longer pen and has two cap bands (as does yours) compared to one for the 322. Also, the 222 blind cap isn't detachable and probably doesn't have screw threads so it seems unlikely that they have simply been switched. I am of the opinion you have a 222 but for some reason they mixed push button and push knobs in this model.

I dug out my 322 for comparison. The 222 is a slightly longer pen and has two cap bands (as does yours) compared to one for the 322. Also, the 222 blind cap isn't detachable and probably doesn't have screw threads so it seems unlikely that they have simply been switched. I am of the opinion you have a 222 but for some reason they mixed push button and push knobs in this model.

Thank you for checking with your collection and making these observations!

Photos of my 222 and 322 side-by-side. Incidentally, the 322 is the only non-black pen I own! As everything on your PL matches besides the filler, I personally find it hard to believe somebody went to the trouble to switch the cap, blind cap, and nib to impersonate a 222, more likely it was born that way. Regarding my 222, I will search for the correct period clip, though finding one for my 236 parts has been hard enough.

p.s. I finally have a K132 to complete my set :-) will post photo to your other thread.

post-99892-0-10670100-1558705677.jpg

post-99892-0-49771300-1558705684.jpg

Lovely 322, and thanks for helping resolve the mystery - I do agree. Congrats on the K 132. Very cool!

• 2 months later...

Another grail added to the collection :)

fpn_1565848333__d5b05d12-a2a3-4c20-af2b-

And this rather beautiful one too IMHO:

fpn_1565848426__848b336f-5301-414b-b13d-

I will be reviewing them on my website soon!

@Siamackz, Very impressed. I looked ad Your website, also very nice!

I read Your review of you workshop with F. Goossens, here in Belgium earlier this year. On one of the pictures I saw a vintage HP Calculator (RPN ?)... wow

Such a nice combination Vintage Calculators and Fountain Pens!

Are there other fans here ?

I makes me look with more proud at Conid, as a Belgium Firm.

Best greetings,

LD

@Siamackz, Very impressed. I looked ad Your website, also very nice!

I read Your review of you workshop with F. Goossens, here in Belgium earlier this year. On one of the pictures I saw a vintage HP Calculator (RPN ?)... wow

Such a nice combination Vintage Calculators and Fountain Pens!

Are there other fans here ?

I makes me look with more proud at Conid, as a Belgium Firm.

Best greetings,

LD

Thanks for your encouraging words! I didnt notice the vintage calculator :) That was pure coincidence!

Very beautiful Pens here! And very interesting explanations.

These are two (or 3...) of my favorites, both from the early '90 s.

My MB Masterpiece 146 and my HP 48G Calculator. But PC power made them al little bit obsolete...

fpn_1566040003__hp_and_mb.jpg

Very beautiful Pens here! And very interesting explanations.

These are two (or 3...) of my favorites, both from the early '90 s.

My MB Masterpiece 146 and my HP 48G Calculator. But PC power made them al little bit obsolete...

fpn_1566040003__hp_and_mb.jpg

very cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, a Grail pen that I have been waiting years for, the 126 PL from the 1930s. More information on my website. Enjoy the pics:

fpn_1567960153__screen_shot_2019-09-08_a

fpn_1567960203__img_6708_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just received this No.2 eyedropper (not safety). With this pen I now have almost every major filling system that MB made - push knob, button, piston, telescopic piston, lever, safety, compressor, and now eyedropper :)

fpn_1569891023__783fd134-fb0e-490c-a175-

Another beautiful pen siamackz, congratulations! Please tell, what is the difference between a safety and an eyedropper? I'm afraid I own neither.

Another beautiful pen siamackz, congratulations! Please tell, what is the difference between a safety and an eyedropper? I'm afraid I own neither.

Thanks dascott!

Both, the eyedropper (ED) and safety, require one to drop ink into the barrel through the section. In this sense they are both eyedroppers I guess. The safety was a technological advancement on the plain ED. The difference is that the safety has a complex mechanism that when you turn the barrel end cone it causes the nib to retract into the barrel or extend out of the barrel. But the old ED doesnt have this mechanism and the nib is always visible, just like normal pens do.