My Vintage Mb Collection

siamackz

I know i was thinking like a list from top left to bottom right in your last photo like a reference guide for us noobs :) I really like the display cases.

Ah yes of course! Good idea! See below.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• dascott

• Tom Kellie

• AlohaLani787

Man thank you so much!!!

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

After looking in every corner of the Internet, I have managed to compile this large stack of Montblanc advertisements, instruction manuals, and catalogues from the 1920s to 1960s. Special thanks to websites like fountainpen.it and FPN members like Michael for sharing such literature so generously! Now I need to start translating so that I can learn more about the pens, their prices at the time, etc.

fpn_1550885419__46eb696a-bd33-48e5-b1d3-

UPDATE - 24th Feb 2019

Today, I have a rather special pen. Not so much because of the pen itself, but because of the history behind this particular one. The pen is a 644 from the 1950s, which I think is one of the classiest designs made by MB back in the day. But, I already have a 644 G and you can read more about it here midway through this page https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/342014-my-vintage-mb-collection/page-4

My latest 644 is similar in design to the one reviewed in the link. But, with one very interesting difference. It has JB imprinted on the blind cap.

fpn_1551014538__2b536eac-841d-414b-aecf-

Pen dealers in India that have been around for a while say that a certain market in Mumbai - Jhaveri Bazaar - had official distribution of Montblanc back in the 1950s. They say one can find celluloid MBs that have a JB imprint on the blind cap to signify this. I didnt believe it until I saw two such pens myself - a 149 celluloid and a 644 celluloid from the 1950s. I bought the 644 because of this history - the connect is that I am a resident of Mumbai. The pens barrel is in pretty bad shape and will need a replacement, and so I will post pics once its restored. In the mean time, here is some information about the famous Jhaveri Bazaar.

Jhaveri Bazaar (JB), also spelt as Zaveri Bazaar, is a gold and gems market located in Mumbai. JB controls more than 60% of the gold trade in India, and thats a lot because Indian households are the worlds largest hoarders of gold! The bazaar is more than 150 years old and today it has more than 7000 tiny and busy retail stores and also gold and diamond workshops manned by more than 30,000 skilled and unskilled workers. Im pretty sure there arent any MB stores at JB today.

fpn_1551014626__012f2e9c-4e56-431d-8c97-

Pic credits - Rediff

Edited by siamackz

That's very interesting.

As far as I know, the blind cap markings were heat-stamped on, in the factory? It seems odd that they would come pre-stamped for an after-seller? Or do you think the JB stamp was added in Mumbai?

Your explanation seems to make sense. I've seen other pens with the retailer's name engraved on them, but never heat-stamped on the blind cap.

Great pen. Your collection grows apace! Congratulations.

That's very interesting.

As far as I know, the blind cap markings were heat-stamped on, in the factory? It seems odd that they would come pre-stamped for an after-seller? Or do you think the JB stamp was added in Mumbai?

Your explanation seems to make sense. I've seen other pens with the retailer's name engraved on them, but never heat-stamped on the blind cap.

Great pen. Your collection grows apace! Congratulations.

I am as perplexed as you are CS. The finish of the heat-stamp makes it look like MB did it at the factory. The spacing between the "F" and "644" is like most pens i.e. on opposite ends of the blind cap. The JB is in between those two markings.

Great post Siamackz...well yet another great post and pen.

Edited by John-XXII

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - 30th March 19

I was not happy with the condition of the barrel and ink window of my 644 with the JB imprint and so I was wondering how I could somehow make it better. I decided to have a Tibaldi replacement barrel made and requested Francis to work his magic. As expected, his work surpassed my expectations...

fpn_1553960996__11325952-3ad0-4c44-9cac-

fpn_1553961038__02a1f123-00dd-49b0-b720-

Edited by siamackz

UPDATE - 30th March ‘19

I was not happy with the barrel and ink window of my 644 with the “JB” imprint and so I was wondering how I could somehow make it better. I decided to have a Tibaldi replacement barrel made and requested Francis to work his magic. As expected, his work surpassed my expectations...

fpn_1553960996__11325952-3ad0-4c44-9cac-

fpn_1553961038__02a1f123-00dd-49b0-b720-

And this is how you make a fountain pen even better!

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

I am as perplexed as you are CS. The finish of the heat-stamp makes it look like MB did it at the factory. The spacing between the "F" and "644" is like most pens i.e. on opposite ends of the blind cap. The JB is in between those two markings.

I wonder if JB could be a marking for the Indian market?

Unless I am mistaken, Jhaveri seems to be the anglicized version of Zaveri. If so, it would have to be a factory code/marking because the dealer would have it marked 'ZB' instead of 'JB'.

Just a thought.

OTOH, was there a MB dealer in the 1950's just in Mumbai or were there dealers in Calcutta, Delhi, Madras?

If there were other dealers, then it might be worth looking if they had any individual markings/stamping.

I can believe MB in Zaveri Bazaar.

IIRC there was a dealer (TBZ, I think) at that time for Rolex (maybe Cartier and Chopard too) in the same market.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I wonder if JB could be a marking for the Indian market?

Unless I am mistaken, Jhaveri seems to be the anglicized version of Zaveri. If so, it would have to be a factory code/marking because the dealer would have it marked 'ZB' instead of 'JB'.

Just a thought.

OTOH, was there a MB dealer in the 1950's just in Mumbai or were there dealers in Calcutta, Delhi, Madras?

If there were other dealers, then it might be worth looking if they had any individual markings/stamping.

I can believe MB in Zaveri Bazaar.

IIRC there was a dealer (TBZ, I think) at that time for Rolex (maybe Cartier and Chopard too) in the same market.

You are right, who knows? I read in some other post here that it stood for Jawahari Brothers who were distributors in India. But I found nothing else online. A few old Indian dealer told me about Jhaveri Bazaar, recollecting it from their time. So, I found the explanation credible

I must say, Siamackz, I really enjoy looking at your pen collection. I also find it instructive looking at the picture with them in the tray adjacent to their model numbers.

For me as a new member of this forum and to MB fancying it's almost a 'ready reckoner" of general and some specific shape characteristics of MB's for easy identification.

Cheers

I must say, Siamackz, I really enjoy looking at your pen collection. I also find it instructive looking at the picture with them in the tray adjacent to their model numbers.

For me as a new member of this forum and to MB fancying it's almost a 'ready reckoner" of general and some specific shape characteristics of MB's for easy identification.

Cheers

Im glad you find it interesting Boris, thanks for the encouragement!

Congratulations on one of the most complete and nicest vintage MB collection :puddle: :notworthy1: :thumbup: Thanks for sharing with us.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Congratulations on one of the most complete and nicest vintage MB collection :puddle: :notworthy1: :thumbup: Thanks for sharing with us.

thank you!

Thanks everyone, for supporting this post and encouraging me to share the history and unique design characteristics of my vintage MB collection.

I have created a super modest website sharing further information on my pens, in case you are interested. Its much better on the desktop than phone but check it out anywhere if you have a few minutes > https://www.vintagemontblancpens.com

The website has two sections:

1. Pen reviews - where I explain the history and features of my vintage MBs

2. Pen talk - where I post interviews with pen experts and collectors (this is work in progress)

I will continue to post my new acquisitions on this thread here at FPN with a link to my site for more pics and details of the new pens.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Great website Siamackz, a real treasure trove! Coincidentally I have also just purchased a 222 albeit the plain black variety and am waiting for it to arrive.