• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jungkind

• Astronymus

• lucraak

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No idea, your pic is too fuzzy & underexposed.

More importantly WHERE are you buying it from? Providence of seller is best indicator of authenticity imho.

Hi Lucraak,

Based on the limited evidence before this court; I would say...

...run like the wind... away from it.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

The gloss doesn't seem right.

I agree. The gloss on the plastic looks like the Jinhao 599 Safari clones I have. There's a hint of transparency in the gloss that real Safaris don't have.

I have a few with the Plastic ring, all very early pens with unmarked nib. I always understood that the plastic ring was used in the early days before the carton ring was introduced and they were made from the same tube material the blind cap was made of. I have seen them in black and the material that that is shown in the photo. The very early red Safari with black clip has a slightly darker color than the later ones.

Hope one of the Lamy Safari gurus can correct me if I am wrong.

Ask for better pictures and more info. In the older ones the cross on the cap should be in metal, the nib unmarked. It doesnt seem very much different from my older red one (the lower in the picture, the dark one, that I've buyed in 1991. The upper has still the black clip, but is a tad lighter and had already the cardboard ring)

But you have to be sure before buying it and your picture is not enough. Sadly I don't remember if my older had a plastic ring.

Chiara

Edited because of typos

post-19896-0-91576300-1545037746_thumb.jpg

Edited by chravagni

I have a few with the Plastic ring, all very early pens with unmarked nib. I always understood that the plastic ring was used in the early days before the carton ring was introduced and they were made from the same tube material the blind cap was made of. I have seen them in black and the material that that is shown in the photo. The very early red Safari with black clip has a slightly darker color than the later ones.

Hope one of the Lamy Safari gurus can correct me if I am wrong.

Ohh!thanks for sharing.you're absolutely right in this case.

I am also collecting lamy safaries made in W.gemerny.I already have red,black and white ones which made in 80s..but so far,I still lack the lamy safari demonstrator and seeking for it.....

would you mind showing some pics of your collection?

Benson

...according to Woody's definition, these are second and third generation Safaris, end of the 80's, beginning of the 90's.

My caveat, none of my Safari was bought new during this time frame and I have a savanna one with a cardboard ring (without imprint), which should be even older. Therefore I cannot vouch that they were sold this way or the rings are a later addition by a collector or seller.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this a fake or is this a proper old one? Especially the plastic ring is something that worries me.

https://imgur.com/a/08tfUzH

Think Ill chime in... Ive been collecting Safari for years and can confirm that some early models did come with plastic rings although I cannot give dates. That photo looks legit to me and the plastic ring is reassuring as it is appropriate for the age of the pen. I too would ask more questions to be more certain but my first impression is that this is a genuine Safari and that the red is probably from the 1st gen of reds that were produced: metal screw, darker red colour, made in W.Germany. The Germany ones were a different shade of red.

By the way, that demonstrator caught my eye...! Is that a Germany or W.Germany one?