The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Do I Open This Thing Up?

parker mechanical pencil vintage 50s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:18

fpn_1544959095__2cd43dcb-1138-48af-bffc-

Some time ago I acquired a 1959 Parker 51 fountain pen that came with a matching mechanical pencil. The pencil works fine. By pressing the rear end I can move a pencil down and keep writing. The spring action seems to be OK. However I can't seem to open up this pencil at the rear. Which part is supposed to be detachable in order to re-fill the compartment with pencil sticks? Everything is super-tight and I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Aramchek

Aramchek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 14:54

On mine (from 1954 IIRC) you simply pull out the eraser. It is very picky when it comes to what 0.9mm leads it accepts, and I can't remember which brand turned out to work. 

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3 Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

#3 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 16:19

Just the eraser or the eraser plus the metal cylinder that contains it?

#4 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 18:53

The knurled metal bit too, it's just a sleeve around the eraser. I use Staedler Mars Micro Carbon 0.9 in mine.

#5 pennylink

pennylink

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 18:54

Just the eraser or the eraser plus the metal cylinder that contains it?

The eraser plus the metal bit that holds the eraser in place.

#6 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 16:23

Thanks! Mission accomplished. Not easy. The eraser solidified over the years and attached itself to the knurled metal bit. It wouldn't budge and I had to use some glycerine to get it out.

#7 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 23:10

I collect Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint mechanical pencils.  Often they have an "open" eraser (no eraser cap) at the top.  I learned early on that to keep my eraser holders (the "metal ferrule") from splitting, it was best to remove the erasers while the pencils were being stored for long periods.  Apparently when the erasers are "young" and "green", they have a fair amount of fluid in the rubber.  Over the years, as the erasers dry out, they tend to expand - and the force of that expansion can split the metal ferrule (if you follow ebay you can see many pencil pictures where the "ferrules" are split).  I've gotten really good at replacing the split metal eraser holders ("ferrules") with a replacement from a donor pencil.  Not difficult, just a pain in the keister.

- - - Jim

Collector of Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint, and Esterbrook accumulator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, mechanical pencil, vintage, 50s

Sponsored Content

|