Hello Fpn! Antique/vintage Fp Collection From Grandpas Bookstore. Help Wanted

Maritime

Hi FPN people!

My grandfather had a book shop in Trysil, Norway, that recently closed for business.It was rather sad to see them close as it had been in our family for generations before him. When we cleaned out the shop we found many beautiful fountain fillers. Mostly unused (mint?). Some probably dating back from the 40s and 50s. Parker 51s amongst other. Theres a lot of different brands. Someone Ive never heard of. Its about 50 pens. There are some of the spare parts. Ill share some photos in hope of getting some information on the pens and maybe if theyre even worth selling. As theyre mostly all in great condition they all look good to me. The cadets looks like its from early last century, but I cannot say for sure. Well anyway, I just wanted to say hi and maybe excite some of you guys. Im really hoping for someone to tell me what I have.

Ill post more photos in proper forums later on.

Oh, and if anyone would tip me on pens I should keep for myself that would be much appreciated. Preferably the ones that make you fall in love with handwriting again as my hands are to much on these keyboards.

Regards Mari Time

post-146882-0-15537600-1544953410_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-22252800-1544953483_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-80871400-1544953523_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-04551600-1544953556_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-83933900-1544953591_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-36754200-1544953824_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-61384500-1544953849_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-75501200-1544953898_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-40480000-1544953926_thumb.jpeg

post-146882-0-93435700-1544953997_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Maritime

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maritime

• Dickkooty2

• mana

• northstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you will receive more than one offer in a private message ... they are very good and more in a mint state. I think it would be more helpful if you also took photos showing the nib.

Condolences on your Granfather's death and the closing of the store. It appears that everything that you have shown has value. Some of the pens date from either early in your Granfather's life, or perhaps just prior to it. As you mentioned, many of the pens are unused. This means that there will be a premium on their value. I do not know what your situation is in regard to the pens. In this most uncertain world, I would keep them all. But, if you are required either by law or custom to sell them, then I suggest you add to your knowledge regarding them. One way that would benefit both you and those you are asking for help from is to take details pictures of each pen, both capped and uncapped to show the full body of the pen, the nibs and any markings on the pens. Please do not however disturb any labels in doing so as the labels demonstrate the pens likely have not been used. You will discover there are many forums here dedicated to different makers. You can post pictures and descriptions of the pens in each appropriate forum. Oh and please do not ask for estimates on price. There are too many variables to give accurate answers that will apply to you and your circumstances. If you chose to sell the pens, then how you sell them will help determine what you will realise in compensation. As example, some websites sell by auction that you actively manage. They take a cut of the proceeds. You get what is left. This involves,a,significant amount of time and work on your part and pictures and descriptions will help determine your proceeds. A private buyer however might get you less money, but also less work as they might buy everything you would care to sell. There likely are several such persons in your home country. They make a profit selling the items one by one through there channels. There are many other ways of selling, including other auctions, both traditional and local online, selling on selling forums, selling through classifieds, such as at available here and selling to others via social media or selling directly at a local antique show.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Parker51: thank you so much for your condolances and your advice! Im in no hurry to sell, but as I am currently on my maternity leave I have a lot of spare time. 😉Also I dont need all the pens for myself. But I would like to keep some.i guess from your name would keep the parker51s. Any tips on which to keep for myself?

Ill post some photos of the nibs and such below.

Welcome, condolences on your family's loss, but also congratulations on your family leave too.

Parker51 was quite thorough, including not disturbing original labels. Keeping boxes & paper ephemera including possibly old sales advertisements & catalogs from the shop might enhance their history & value.

You live in northern climate so storage in damp or heat shouldn't be an issue. Still, keeping old materials out of bright light & with air circulation prevents premature deterioration of materials.

Among what you have is there a personalized set belonging to family? Were it me, I'd keep that, and after studying the entire lot, also whatever pieces fit my hand & writing style. You might also find a pattern or history fascinating enough to merit further study, or perhaps another family member?

Best wishes.

A good place to start to get information on the Parkers (besides the 51 set I see a several Vacumatics and at least one Parker 45) would be parkercollector. com -- the amount of information that Tony Fischier has compiled on the different models Parker made is astounding.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My condolences for your loss but also, my greetings from Helsinki, Finland! Welcome to FPN! :)

What a nice collection of pens and in mint state, not something you see every day...

The Pelikans you posted are (from the top):

Pelikan 140
Pelikan ? > Don't know which model, a later one from the 60s?
Pelikan 400NN
Pelikan 140
Pelikan 140
Pelikan 400NN (with the box).

Very nice! Those should be good to go as is (just fill with ink and start writing). Also, they are very fine pens as writers (Pelikans of that era are the focus of my personal collection and everyday users, carry a few with me daily to write with). I just love them to bits. <3

They are not ridiculously expensive (YMMV though) but as everyday users and writers they are just plain awesome. Great ergonomics, nibs, design, ink capacity etc. :)

The smaller 140 is about 75€ to 100€ or more depending on the nib and color scheme, the 400NN can be found for 90€ or more in mint condition, same applies to special nibs and color schemes (prices for Europe can be observed on ebay.de etc.). Prices from professional vendors and outside of EU are naturally higher.

Oh, one thing to be aware of, wider nibs, esp. oblique ones are more rare and desired as are the more rare color schemes (green striated is the basic model, black pens are more rare as are "tortoise" or honey/brown striated etc.).

What is that bag of nibs with the Soennecken pens?

Also, loads of other nice pens (the Parker 51 set is especially nice). If the Parker 51 is an Aerometric model it is also "good to go" with just a flush and a fill of ink (another favorite of mine).

You have a great collection of pens there and I would recommend taking the time to get to know them, as in, write with them and see what you personally like and do not like. Each one of those is more or less an individual with certain characteristics shared within the family/brand. Thinking of the adventures and discoveries waiting you makes me smile. :)

Edited by mana

Wow! Thanks so much for all your warm welcoms, and thorough replies. I already love FPN. There so much love! Much obliged! I’m starting to get excited here! Guess I’ll have to start buying some ink an try these things. Maybe not the ones that has never been filled. I guess they’re more worth unused in the box.

Mana; the nibs are for the Pan pens. Iridium and 14 ct. Thanks for those great advices!!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hello and welcome to you, I am sure you will be receiving help and advice on your pens. Stay on the forum and letus know how you progress.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......