The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ka-Bu-Co- 16B / Osmia 226

osmia german button filler kaut-bullinger

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2018 - 22:21

In the mail and thought I'd share some pictures .  Ka-Bu- Co according to the seller is the German Office Supply Company  Kaut - Bullinger & Co and this pen is made by Osmia . It is the same as an Osmia 226 so is their large pen . The clip is a very nice but uncorrect replacement so I will be on the lookout for a correct one .  #6 Broad flexible nib . Here are a few of the sellers pictures .  

Eddie

PS: Forum wont let me post the other two pictures for some reason . I tried resizing by 50 % but it still won't accept them .

Attached Images

• Ka Bu Osima.jpg
  • Ka BU Osima nib.jpg

Edited by EdwardSouthgate, 13 December 2018 - 22:41.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,435 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:01

Semi-flex and quite a large # 6 nib.....

There are at least 6 different Osmia clips....4-5 different finals.

So I'd bet the clip is authentic. There are 'pure' generic clips also; at least two types. One's that looks like an Osmia clip, with out the Osmia stamped in it.....and then there are the fancy ones.

Unlike other companies, Osmia allowed the customer a chance not to brag what pen they had. Generic clips, three non-brag Finals................I guess some folks are understated, but still want a fine pen. :D

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2018 - 16:25

It was delivered today . I have some Violet Quink on the way that I may use in this , I like purples and have nothing inked with it right now . Clip says Refograph .

Attached Images

• Ka Bu _3.jpg

Edited by EdwardSouthgate, 15 December 2018 - 18:41.

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,435 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 20:00

Very nice, 'unusual' clip.

Don't know the term or company, Refograph......

There are some semi-vintage Reform 'Refograph' technical pens on Amazon. They are cheap versions of Technical pens, no where near Rotwing technical pens.....stylograph type pens....which have been around before fountain pens.

That pen don't look technical to me.

Perhaps Thomas will chime in on if that is an original clip. I'd expected the Ka-Bu- company on the clip.........but I am not as knowledgeable of course as Thomas or Illan or one or two others.

I just have my half dozen or so, with some differences of clips and finials. Sometimes I can find D Cell batteries for my flashlight.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#5 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2018 - 20:55

Only markings on the pen are  KA  BU  CO on the cap reading bottom to top and  16 at the tail end ot the barrel by the blind cap.

B

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,435 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 23:28

Osmia did make pens for others....like Akkermann department store in Holland.

The pen does look to be mid-late '30's and is a button filler which Osmia did favor then....in there were only so many ways a piston pen could be made....and Pelikan did have a patent it bought.

;) Another pretty pen, with a very nice nib.....nice big nib. :)

Nice fancy cap ring too.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 15 December 2018 - 23:30.

#7 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2018 - 17:58

Unlike most of my other button fillers this one is not balky about drawing ink , one push of the button is really all it takes . I filled it last night from an old ink well Skrip bottle , filled the well to the top , inserted the nib , pushed the button and it sounded like somebody flushed a toilet !  Pretty much sucked the well dry . It is a good sized pen , along the lines of a streamline Duofold . It has become attached to my pocket and will probably root out one of the Montblanc's that live in my every day etui . Condition is very nice but not so much so that I will be hesitant to carry it .

Eddie

#8 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:08

I saw this beauty in the auction site, good catch! I hope you will post a writing sample for us?
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,435 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 15:28

I was a bit slow that the company name was also on the nib.....

#10 whych

whych

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2018 - 15:47

It was delivered today . I have some Violet Quink on the way that I may use in this , I like purples and have nothing inked with it right now . Clip says Refograph .

Refograph was part of Reform

Look at this page:

http://www.fountainp...c/28721-reform/

Te example shown is a piston filler, but most manufacturers (Kaweco, Osmia, etc) also made button fillers in their earlier models.

Edited by whych, 19 December 2018 - 15:49.

#11 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,435 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 19:06

One can be very forgetful.....easily. I'd forgotten what Thomas had said about Reform.

There was a time when Osmia/Degussa not only made nibs for other companies, but made pens too.

Still a pretty pen, with a great nib.

#12 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 22:00

Hi Bobo

Possibly we can help you with a little bit of additional information from a current special exhibition.

Kind Regards

Attached Images

• Osmia1.jpg
  • Osmia3.jpg

#13 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 13:50

I'll have to get down to the museum, soon.

If I drive instead of taking the streetcar, I can avoid the the B&M with it's inks, and the Subway cookie trap.

OH, yes............got to get down town. :) :thumbup:

I've shown pictures before of Thomas's pen museum...it's all his stuff, perhaps 1/3 is all there is space for. He really had to twist townhall's arm to get use of a Art Nouveau 1900's fire station...across from the oldest castle in the Heidelberg area...one from 12-1300.

Once Heidelberg was the pen capital of the world.

Had he been able to put in an industrial gitter second floor, he'd have lots more exhibits. But some drunk climbed up on a city square monument and fell off killing himself, so the city wasn't going to let Thomas build something high enough that a drunk visiting the fountain pen museum would climb on the railing and fall off.............drunks don't visit fountain pen museum's but city hall is full of ball point users; so they don't know better. 

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 20 December 2018 - 13:58.

#14 Christopher Godfrey

Christopher Godfrey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Location:Gloucester (The Perfect Storm one, in Massachusetts)
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 15:58

I have been <trying> (hard, so hard!) to upload some small photos to this thread for comparison with an actual 226...and keep on getting "Error: This upload failed" messages!  Grrrrrr!  So frustrating.  Sorry, all: I think this would have been interesting, most especially to the OP, EdwardSouthgate.

My beautiful 226 came from Christof in Switzerland a few years ago and has one of my very best nibs of all the pens I own, including really flexy, vintage Pelikans! 

Edited by Christopher Godfrey, 17 January 2019 - 16:00.

#15 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,435 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 20:47

I am lucky and have 7-8 Osmia/O-F-C pens, from medium-small to medium large, and the steel nibs are as good as the gold. Only company to mark their semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex nibs (Supra).

I only have two ones with color, one black, grey and pearl 540, some plain, some BCHR...and a full tortoise. I do count my late '30's Boehler pens as Osmia's....same model number, same clip and finial on two, a Boehler finial and fancier clip  on the other. I have a Boehler full tortoise 54...late '30's.

The company's name comes from Osmium....Early '20s a Heidelberg Professor invented a Osmium tipping compound that was years ahead. The Boehler brothers bought up the patent and named their brand new pen after it, Osmia.

#16 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:00

I have been <trying> (hard, so hard!) to upload some small photos to this thread for comparison with an actual 226...and keep on getting "Error: This upload failed" messages!  Grrrrrr!  So frustrating.  Sorry, all: I think this would have been interesting, most especially to the OP, EdwardSouthgate.

My beautiful 226 came from Christof in Switzerland a few years ago and has one of my very best nibs of all the pens I own, including really flexy, vintage Pelikans! 

Send the photos to me and I will try to post them. I tried to send you a pm but when I clicked send it said you could not receive any more private messages . Look at post Can No longer Post Photos under Members Helping Members .  It will explain another way to post pictures after your personal storage space is used up .

flyrodz12atyahoo.com

Edited by EdwardSouthgate, 18 January 2019 - 02:05.

#17 Christopher Godfrey

Christopher Godfrey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Location:Gloucester (The Perfect Storm one, in Massachusetts)
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 17:06

Thank you, Edward.  Wilco!  (Later today: got to go out right now)  So...my PMs need to be threshed and winnowed, do they?  That would make sense...and would explain all.  Thanks, mate!

#18 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 22:05

Chris , send them to that email address .

#19 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 16:02

Pictures for Christopher.

Attached Images

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003 (1).jpg

#20 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 16:13

fpn_1547913815__004.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: osmia, german, button filler, kaut-bullinger

Sponsored Content

|