The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Centennial: Century The Prime

century platinum centennial

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Ronderick

Ronderick

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:32

http://www.platinum-..._the_prime.html

Wow, Platinum edition and silver edition....

Very hefty price tag.

Release date is February 5.

Edited by Ronderick, 13 December 2018 - 09:34.

Sponsored Content

#2 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:32

It is not so hefty - the silver one, 780 Euro or 880 USD (calculated from the Japanese prices).

--

Wanted to post the list of festivities - I forgot that this forum is so international that you cannot post many Kanjis.

So, check at the bottom of the Platinum page.

http://www.platinum-..._the_prime.html

Edited by mke, 13 December 2018 - 10:43.

#3 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,447 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 18:38

I and was peaky about the Lamy 2000 anniversary's price and design... I love Platinum, esp. their nibs, but I will pass for sure.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2018 - 21:12

I mean... it's solid platinum. Not platinum plated.

That price is not unreasonable for a solid platinum pen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#5 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 2,111 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 22:01

Exactly - the pen is 90% pure Pt - Pt900.
And the nib too - Pt790 - so 79% Platinum.
And the name is Pt1000 - 100% Platinum.

The section is ??

Edited by mke, 13 December 2018 - 22:03.

#6 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:46

Of course they make their coveted soft medium nib available on this pen. I wish they'd put it as a regular option on the 3776.

It's a pretty package but definitely not my thing. More power to them, though.

#7 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,447 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:53

I was referring to the silver one.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#8 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:42

Of course they make their coveted soft medium nib available on this pen.

I think it's more interesting that Platinum is not offering the limited silver edition of this pen with either a regular Fine or a regular Medium nib.
Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#9 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:11

i really like the look of the silver version.  price-wise, not so much.  i can imagine it must be a hefty pen in weight.

-rudy-

#10 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 23:17

So, how much are they going to be?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#11 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:34

So, how much are they going to be?

The list price is JPY 1,000,000 (ex tax) for the limited platinum edition, and JPY 100,000 (ex tax) for the limited silver edition. I'd imagine paying the 8% consumption tax that applies in Japan will be unavoidable, if you want to secure one of the 100 units of the limited platinum edition pens. JPY 1,080,000 works out approximately:
  • AUD 13,353
  • CAD 12,861
  • EUR 8,453
  • GBP 7,600
  • HKD 75,005
  • USD 9,596
at today's exchange rates. Importing (as opposed to smuggling) such an item into Australia would incur 10% GST liability and possibly additional duties.
Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

#12 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 2,111 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:48

Hurry up with making up your mind - in October the Japanese consumption tax will change to 10%.

#13 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2019 - 21:52

That silver edition looks like a Sumo version of a Parker Cisele - needs to go on a diet!

Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#14 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 13:27

Oh, what have I done?  :gaah:

A good deal came up for one of these pens, and I just had to take it, even if that particular pen on offer isn't fitted with my preference of nib. I just have no self-control whatsoever. I have no idea if I can live with writing with it, but the Fear Of Losing Out was just too great.  :unsure:

#15 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 2,111 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 13:33

> A good deal came up for one of these pens

Confess, which one? Eventually, we might give you absolution.

Edited by mke, 14 July 2019 - 13:34.

#16 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 15:11

Oh, what have I done?  :gaah:

A good deal came up for one of these pens, and I just had to take it, even if that particular pen on offer isn't fitted with my preference of nib. I just have no self-control whatsoever. I have no idea if I can live with writing with it, but the Fear Of Losing Out was just too great.  :unsure:

Jesus, how much did you pay? 

You know you owe us a review now.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#17 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 15:51

Not having the desired nib is a bonus!  Now you can justify having the nib customized to your specifications!

I have a Platinum with an Ultra Extra Fine nib!

Edited by wspohn, 14 July 2019 - 15:51.

Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#18 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:19

It's just the silver model and not the platinum one, but I still paid more for it than I have ever paid for any other pen (by a hair), because the Aussie dollar is now far weaker than it was during my first rush of acquisitions six years ago; on the other hand, less than half what apparently is the MSRP for it is in the US.

As for a review, I don't think I'll do one, because while I respect the published 'rules' regarding the format of pen reviews on FPN, I also strongly disagree with them in more ways than one, so I believe the proper thing to do is for me is to simply refrain from writing and posting a pen review here my way. To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to ink it and write with it, given that it has a (Japanese) Broad nib.

Right now I'm not sure what I'm going to give my best man after my wedding in a few months' time, so I might give him one of the (Aurora and now Platinum) 100th Anniversary limited edition pens I bought this year. Not that he has any appreciation of or experience with fountain pens, but he might think it looks good to have one with him in the boardroom, and he probably prefers a "signature pen" with a broader nib anyway. I can tell him what the hell it is that I give him, but it'll probably take someone (other than me) among our "community" of fountain pen enthusiasts to go, "Wow!" at him before it'll really register on his consciousness. Ah well, friends can't be perfect (and neither am I).

How I wish the offer was for a unit of the "The Prime" pen with an SF nib, given (sadly) it isn't offered with a regular rhodinated 14K gold 'nail' of an F nib or even M nib, which would be a particularly good match for the hefty and unyielding feel of a solid silver barrel! As it stands, it's more of an opportunistic "land grab" than any realistic expectation that I'll enjoy using the pen myself.

That whole FOLO, "gotta grab that opportunity before the next person jumps on it" thing is my chronic ailment. I mean it; I probably "wasted" more than a few thousands of dollars because I just so completely fail to prevail over it, even though rationally I can see it for what it is. One of these days it's going to seriously ruin me.

#19 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 22:22

Welp, you took the idea, and killed it dead.

Just get the nib meistered. I don't really think you'll ever see your money out of it again anyways unless you got a SCREAMING deal. 

I was mostly interested in that solid platinum nib and how it writes. Curious to see if platinum gave it flex or if it's a nail.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 14 July 2019 - 22:23.

#20 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 2,111 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:43

Give the Aurora and keep the Platinum.

Platinum B is a nib size which I could get accustomed to - and I usually use Exropean Fs.
This Platinum B is not a signature pen sized nib.

Edited by mke, 15 July 2019 - 01:44.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: century, platinum, centennial

Sponsored Content

|