Esterbrook Stubs

corgicoupe

While testing some Esterbrook stubs, reliefs, and italic nibs I made what I thought was an interesting discovery. Authorities usually state that whereas 9xxx nibs are tipped, 2xxx nibs have the tines folded over [or rolled over] to simulate the tipping. However, viewing under a microscope seemed to reveal that neither the 2312 Italic nor the 2284 Signature Stub [AKA Falcon or Jackson Stub] had folded over tines. I believe all my other 2xxx nibs fit the pattern of folded over nibs, Has anyone else documented this?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• corgicoupe

• gweimer1

• Gloucesterman

I think this had been noted in a thread here, but back as far as 2012 or so, about the time I started with Esterbrooks, but I think it was just noted, with nothing further said, especially as far as nib wear is concerned. I don't think it occurred to any of us that these nibs might wear pretty quickly. I tried to search for the thread, but haven't found it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Steel stub nibs, no matter the manufacturer, modern or vintage, are rarely folded over. They may be tipped, but I’ve never seen a folded one. But I’m sure as soon as I say that someone will show a whole host of them to prove me wrong. And thus goes my life.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I received my 2312 Italic nib today, and I can state with certainty that it does not have the tines folded over like many 2xxx nibs. I have not yet heard back from my inquiry about the 2284 nib, but mine does not appear to have folded tines and there is no evidence that the nib was ground to remove the folded section.

I also looked at Brian Anderson's Esterbrook nibs, and it is very clear from his images that the 2048 does not have folded times. I also looked at my 2048 and I see exactly what Brian has on his listing. I don't have a 2550, and his photo only shows a top and bottom view, so it's not possible to know if it's folded.

Edit: I discovered that I do, in fact, have a 2550 nib in a box and like the 2048 it does not have the folded tines.

It might be interesting to speculate why some of the 2xxx nibs are not folded, whereas most of them are.

Edited by corgicoupe

Robert Frost

So, here's some more details...Yes, the 2284 has the folded-over tines. I think the NOS nib I have may be better than the 9284 I have in my M2.

There are at least two other nibs with no tipping at all, and both appear to be for office work - the 1554 Clerical and the 2550 Posting.

Dibs on the 2284? Check your PM.

Robert Frost

I have a 2460 nib with no folded tipping. I don't know if it wore down or if it came new like this. It writes a medium italic line, so it might have been stubbed before I got it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

What does the feed look like? The bottom of my 2284 is rounded but smooth. (Paul Hoban called it a gunboat feed.)

I recently saw a photo of a 2284 with a folded nib tip but with the usual comb feed.

Robert Frost

Flat and thin and smooth. I think it's an older feed. The nib on this pen is similar. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTERBROOK-MODEL-J-IN-BLACK-2460-FINE-FiRM-NIB-CHIPPED-JEWEL/391941041002?hash=item5b4181ab6a:g:qZAAAOSwO9JaB6Xc:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!49286!US!-1

Somehow the 9460 nib doesn't seem related as I would have surmised.

I only have an oblique stub 9314 but it ain't folded over.

9XXX nibs all have real tipping.

I'm beginning to think that some of the earlier 2xxx nibs with flat feeds or what Paul Hoban called "gunboat feeds" (rounded but smooth) did not have folded over tines.

Edited to say "did not have folded over tines."

Edited by corgicoupe

Robert Frost

Probably. A lot of the untipped nibs we find are likely worn down. This makes me wonder how often people had to replace a nib in these pens, and how expensive it could get. Were the 1xxx and 2xxx nibs a false economy?

Probably. A lot of the untipped nibs we find are likely worn down. This makes me wonder how often people had to replace a nib in these pens, and how expensive it could get. Were the 1xxx and 2xxx nibs a false economy?

People did a lot more writing back then, too. Wasn't that part of the Esterbrook appeal? You could replace your nib rather than have to go out and get a new pen.

People did a lot more writing back then, too. Wasn't that part of the Esterbrook appeal? You could replace your nib rather than have to go out and get a new pen.

Some of these nibs can wear pretty fast. Modest wear on a 2312 italic, for example, occurs fast, changing the shape of the nib and requiring reshaping. You might find your italic is a right oblique or a right and left oblique, looking like an arrow. The tipped nibs are a more economical choice in all probability. I am glad the school provided a Scripto and that my mother bought Sheaffer.

I think new nibs, un-tipped, were 25 cents. That was on a pen which "cost" $1.00. Depending on what a comparable pen (first or second tier cost, that might have been a real economy rather than being short sighted.

Also, remember that Osmiroid also had rolled tipped nibs. If I recall correctly they were called "Rolatip".

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”