Parker 51 With No Black Plastic Button Inside...

Kerkalianer

A friend asked me if I knoww which model is this P51

It has no black plastic on the top of the pump.

There is no country marked inside.

It only says that is a 4 time filler.

On the gold filled cap there is a "made in USA"

As my native language is not english I have trouble searchin the net about this.

The pictures are not very good.

Someone can help?

post-143105-0-53730600-1544428876_thumb.jpg

post-143105-0-34822600-1544428921_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• PaulS

• Kerkalianer

• Jerome Tarshis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

according to the book, the States model with rounded end but lacking the black button on the end of the sac protector, seems to be the late Mark I,

but as we all learn to our dismay, some parts become interchangeable with later or even earlier models. To confuse matters, the cap on late Mark I pens should also carry the Parker halo logo plus the No. 51. Mr. Rene's link, hopefully, will help you to i.d. your pen more accurately.

Mr Rene and PaulS.

Many thanks!

The subject is a litle complex...

On www.parker51.com they say is a late 1965 Mark1.

On this vídeo, Grandmia Pens says that is a Mk2 but he is confused...

But now I know a lot more than before!

Mr Rene and PaulS.

Many thanks!

The subject is a litle complex...

On www.parker51.com they say is a late 1965 Mark1.

On this vídeo, Grandmia Pens says that is a Mk2 but he is confused...

But now I know a lot more than before!

The difference is that Grandmia is talking about UK made pens and Parker 51 is talking about USA made items

I believe that each assembly factory made pens depending on what parts were available to the assembly line.

Newstyle Parts like sac protectors reached various plants at differing times

I know nothing about South America and Norway, little about France but I am sure they will have variations in models they produced.

For example I have a Plexor made in France by the Parker Contractor that is a Duofold with a different nib and clip!

Stef is wrong on more than one count. The cap doesn't have five finger clutch. It rather has four finger open clucth. The five finger clutch was the closed basket clutch that came with early production vac and aero 51s. Again the pen is not from 1950s. It is from 1960s. It is a transitional model having the barrel, cap and clutch ring of the MKI aero and the filler shroud of the MKII aero. The proper MKII aero (you may call it MKIII if in case you consider the Vac 51 as MKI and resultantly call the earlier aero as MKII and later variant as MKIV) came with a flat end barrel, P61 like cap and a thin clutch ring. The last variant was the MKIII/IV with a metal cap top instead of the pearl plastic jewel.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

am sure it's not, but we must try to be tolerant and show help and patience with those people for whom English may present some difficulties, and who may simply not be Parker experts. It's very generous of mitto and others who share their expertise - always appreciated.

am sure it's not, but we must try to be tolerant and show help and patience with those people for whom English may present some difficulties, and who may simply not be Parker experts. It's very generous of mitto and others who share their expertise - always appreciated.

Well, Jerome is quite right. But I was responding to the OP who has asked for help and who after watching Grandmia's linked Youtube video said "The subject is a litle complex".

Khan M. Ilyas

thanks for your help Khan, and Jerome too - I also find it a tad complex, and I have the book and English is not a problem for me (at least I don't think it is) :)

possibly the main issue here is the usual one ................... many collectors, beginners like me and some not so green are either unaware of, or forget, that there's an overlap in the use of some parts, by the factory, both earlier and later than the books might indicate. This can confuse, and features that define certain models may extend beyond those pens.

Edited by PaulS

Many thanks to all!

So, as the cap is marked USA, but the sac protector has no country markings and has no black button,

I can say that my friend's pen is a late, circa 1965, USA made, Mark 1?

It looks like late production Parker 51 aerometric oversize ....

"Oversize"

Please provide information on the Parker "oversized" version of the "51".

"Oversize"

Please provide information on the Parker "oversized" version of the "51".

The only Oversize 51's were custom made. I got to handle one, make by Ariel Kullock, at the DCPSS. Parker never made an "Oversize" 51.

There are two sizes:

-The 5.25 inch regular size

-The shorter, Demi size (I don't have exact measurements).

If you think you have an oversize pen, it may be because of the clutch + clutch ring combo making it seem longer.

The only Oversize 51's were custom made. I got to handle one, make by Ariel Kullock, at the DCPSS. Parker never made an "Oversize" 51.

There are two sizes:

-The 5.25 inch regular size

-The shorter, Demi size (I don't have exact measurements).

If you think you have an oversize pen, it may be because of the clutch + clutch ring combo making it seem longer.

Farmboy believes Glenn SC knows this and was asking a quite different question.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

+1. This is not really obscure or controversial history.

By +1 I meant an endorsement of Mitto's reply. Although English is my first language, I may not be as familiar with the usages of Web message boards as some other members are. +1 seems to be used as I have used it. About mitto's posts, among others.

The rest of my message explained the basis of my approval.