Montblanc Alternative?

Suitntieguy

I have recently started collecting montblanc FPs (with a few rollerballs). Out 10 or so pens 4 required service within a year. 2 cracked from drops on carpet, one piston broke when being unscrewed and one needs some type of service as it does not fill well or write well. Are all pens like this? Is there another brand that has better fit and finish?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Suitntieguy

• ParkerDuofold

• alexwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you're buying used pens? That's to be expected, and part of the thrill, when buying used and vintage. New pens from most brands won't have a dud rate like that.

I have recently started collecting montblanc FPs (with a few rollerballs). Out 10 or so pens 4 required service within a year. 2 cracked from drops on carpet, one piston broke when being unscrewed and one needs some type of service as it does not fill well or write well. Are all pens like this? Is there another brand that has better fit and finish?

Thanks in advance.

Suitntieguy..I have not had the issues you mentioned with any Montblanc pens...Nevertheless..enjoy your time here.

Fred

..No Skedaddlers Wanted

Fall in Boys

Sounds like you're buying used pens? That's to be expected, and part of the thrill, when buying used and vintage. New pens from most brands won't have a dud rate like that.

I've purchased many Montblanc fountain pens ...both vintage and modern.

And 'tis not to be expected..at all.....Of course this is my personal opinion..and ymmv.....

Fred

Thanks. The 2 that dropped were new, but I can live with those as I dropped them. Not happy but I get it. The piston that broke was a brand new UNICEF 146. The one that doesnt fill or work well was sold to me as Nos 146 from the late 80s. It seems it was made during a transition period. Here is a pic of the gang.

post-143028-0-27636500-1544414760_thumb.jpeg

:W2FPN:

Hi Suit,

I just acquired my first MB... and it's actually one of my better writers... I enjoy it... and I've heard the vintage ones can be real dreams... sorry to hear you've had such a run of bad luck... :o

That said,... if you want a great pen that comes with excellent customer service... that you'll probably never need...

...get an L2K. :thumbup:

You'd probably also fare well with an Parker Duofold, Pilot VP or Custom 74/91/92/843/912, Pelikan M600/800/1000 or a Platinum 3776 Century or President.

Hope this helps... rots a ruck with your next pen.

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to delete extraneous text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

As Bass1193 said, that's an impressive dud:good ratio, and not in a good way.

A pen dropped on carpet could be subject to a LOT of stress if it falls the wrong way and/or it's a very thin and hard commercial carpeting on a concrete floor.

I'm not into Montblancs, at least not the usual [boring to me] model or the crazy special editions, but the brand has the reputation it has for a reason, so 4 out of 10 is definitely excessive. This leaves two out of ten that have issues, which is still a lot.

If there's a Montblanc dealer in your area, I'd ask for their rep's contact information to see what he has to say about it, or contact Montblanc directly.

Aurora and Pelikan come to mind as alternative brands with similar styles and target audience, but I don't think there's anything in the world of pens that even comes close to Montblanc's brand recognition.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

I would suggest a visit to the local MB boutique to have those broken pens evaluated. If you want to look at other pens of great quality, check out Graf von Faber Castell, Conid, Cross, and Parker.. just to name a few.

The piston that broke was a brand new UNICEF 146....return to MB...for warrantee work.

MB repair is a bit less expensive than I'd thought (@ nibmeister/repairman costs). Some neighbor had a MB needing work, I couldn't fix, so I called MB, that pen could have been repaired for E60 if I wrote exactly what was wrong. Not doing that would have cost E80 in they'd have to find out what was wrong. Max price was E120, for major work..........more than just a new gasket on your 146.

Plastic Gasket 1.0 '38-55. Plastic Gasket 2.0. @ 1955-now........1.0 is not as good as 2.0, and it is seldom 2.0 has a problem, but not unknown.

Sounds to me like someone didn't send that 146 in for fixing when it was new. New Gasket? E60 would be my guess.

Write or call and ask.

Your 'transition' MB ...well I don't chase MB do have 3 from the '50's, one from '70-80's and a Woolf.

I'd never heard of 'transition MB's' being trouble makers. Of course I think of transition as something to do with the feed, transition from ebonite to plastic........I don't know what you mean when you say transition.

Call up MB and ask.

I don't expect MB to be troublesome, nor Pelikan.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If you're prone to dropping capped pens, I might suggest a visconti homo sapiens maxi. Same prestige, much tougher. That's kind of the toughest pen I can think of in the mont blanc price range.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)