Journal Size?

WarrenB

For the new year, and for something extra to do with my pens, I decided to try my hand at journalling - both the bullet journal method and the more traditional style.

What are the pros and cons of page sizes? I already use 3.5x5.5" books for on-the-spot sketching. I like their pocketable portability, I'm leaning towards that; but I wonder if extra A5 space is needed for writing, for laying out the BuJo method and for potentially meandering streams of consciousness.

Just shy of actually scribbling in books of these sizes, firsthand: which size do you like? I'm particularly interested to hear if any bullet journallers use that 3.5x5.5" format. Thanks.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WarrenB

• Studio97

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• txomsy

The 3,5 x 5,5 size is too small for me for everyday journal entries, but perfect to carry in pocket for quick note taking while out and about. I prefer the 5.5 x 8.25 or A5 size for a desk top journal. I have tried the bullet journal method but was not a fan. I prefer to just free write my entries without structure. Just what works for me. I do not use my journal as a planner or calendar, I have a separate planner for those purposes.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Journal size drives me crazy--because I seem to keep changing--looking for the perfect size for journaling and for a daily agenda. Have used field notes size, Hobonichi (A6 size), and Jibun (B6 slim). At this point, I prefer the B6 slim size for journaling and as a daily agenda. Its slim size makes it a bit easier to carry around (I use a leather cover so it can get bulky if you are not careful). As an agenda, I like it because the Jibun b6 slim displays a week at a time. But, the tradeoff is that there is less space for bulleting on each day. Love Hobonichi A6, but as an agenda, it shows one day/page which means it's a bit harder to see the entire week's activities. I don't care for any of the larger journals--just too large to carry around. If forced to pick, I'd go with B6 slim, but my suggestion is just to experiment with a few different sizes, giving them about a month to see what really works best for you.

Been journaling since elementary school and the best size for me is A5. Anything smaller is easy to carry, sure, but it's difficult to write on or balance on public transports.

Smaller than A5 it feels like I balance my writing hand constantly on the edge of the page and it drives me crazy.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Can't speak about the bulletjournal thing I'm afraid; bought one of the rhodia goalbooks (leuchtturm bulletjournal knockoff) last year but just never got around to starting it, and since it has months pre-written it kinda encourages starting in january and I've not wanted to somehow confuse myself by starting a month out of order etc,... we'll see if I can be bothered next month, but the midori traveller's notebook with one weekly dated calendar insert and one blank notebook for random scribbles + extra notes has been taken care of organising my life well enough so far.

Anyway, just a general note on "traditional style" as you put it, I think that the choice of format size will have to do with the kinds of pens and nibs you will be wanting to write with for this project.

When I used to use 3.5x5.5", IIRC it was one of the old moleskines before the were outsourced to china and paper quality degenerated entirely, I naturally wrote with a fine line (not even FP's at that stage; uniball micro's etc).

Eventually got a nice leather bound journal with better paper that was an odd size, mayve 4/4.5x6 and could finally use some fountain pens. A Japanese F nib was the standard.

But then something peculiar happened: I started lurking here (and elsewhere) and became bewitched by the way broader, wetter nibs brought out the full potential of inks, and then I started buying such pens; couldn't use them in that journal yet though, as the paper couldn't handle it and the pages were just not wide enough to allow for my "evolved" hand I had developed for utilising broader nibs.

Nowadays it's the typical A5 size or so (5.5x8 or whatever) which I find allows me the balance between a page wide enough to enjoy my broader nibs without averaging like a measly 3 words per line or whatever it was when I tried (lol) whilst still being a volume size that I wouldn't find uncomfortable lugging around virtually everywhere I go in any bag I happen to be carrying at the time.

I do have larger, fatter, bulkier blank leather bound books that were ostensibly for the purpose of using as a journal, but I found that I couldn't carry that around and I have no current need for a desk(bound) journal; I journal as I travel and when I have a spare moment, so what I use now is an A5 + maybe 480 total pages of tomoe river paper journal. I've bought a smaller variant from the same maker, but I can't bring myself to "sized down" after having gotten used to the freedom the larger size allows me to express myself (to my future self).

So, how big's your handwriting? What sorts of pens and nibs do you want to write with?

The larger the format, the more freedom you have to write without things feeling cramped; you don't have to break a sentence across 5 different lines when it only needs two because the page width allows for it, if you understand what I mean.

I tried my "large hand" on the 3.5x5 paper and when I went back and re-read what I had written, this constant shifting from line to line just to finish one sentence, with many words necessarily halved by a hyphen, it was so damned distracting and I'm sure that it would make me dizzy or make my eyes tired or something soon enough. It was unpleasant, and not something I'd wish upon my older self when/if it ever came time to re-read all the drivel I habitually fill in my journals.

The a5 (or larger) size allows me to sit indulgently for an hour or more and not feel uncomfortable writing; I can remember doing so with those fine liners in the little moleskine 15 odd years ago and I cannot even fathom returning to that cramped and restrictive format.

Maybe if you were Bulleting and loved finer nibs, but for free form writing? (with broader nibs)I say go large :D

I've been using a journal consistently for over 40 years. I have tried all sizes, but have found a few things:

1). I carry a small journal (3.5" x 5") with me for quick notes. I also use this notebook by my bed at night for those middle of the night ideas (yes, that is a good habit to get into - you never know when inspiration will hit you).

2). My regular journal is an A5 size Midori (15003-006) grid notebook. I keep it in a Midori leather notebook holder. This I keep at home.

3). For work, I use the inexpensive, but excellent LetterBox journal (www.spicebox.com - although I buy them in a 3 pack at Costco). They are a little larger than A5, but are hardbound and still looks professional (although the really bright colored bindings aren't really professional looking). I use one for each client - it allows me to keep notes more confidential. Also, the paper is fountain pen friendly - even broad nibs and wet ink rarely show through.

4). For travel - which I do a lot of - I use the Traveler's Notebook with 3 Tomoe River inserts (the thin paper inserts). I use this because it is a bit lighter and yet is small enough to easily fit in my bag.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

What a difficult question!!!!For many years I have been used Franklin Covey A5 and for 3 years Filofax. I also be changing the format of the pages. Finally, I opted for the liberty of a white (really cream) lined pages. For my calendar I change many times from paper to electronic (palm, mobile phone). Ultamimatele, but not definitively I keep my calendar in my phone. With my filofax I keep a Midori little notebook always in the pocket of my suit.

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BuJo can use whatever you want. I use the system they sell. My journals are letter size, A4 if I was outside the states.

Edited by Fuzzy_Bear

Peace and Understanding

For loosely structured journal entries, I prefer 5x8 or even 6x9 size. I am planing on using for the first time next year an A4 size (8-1/2 x 11) desk calendar to manage brief, note-like entries of my daily readings. That would give me almost a 3x5-size space to write in each day.

Thanks all, your responses were very helpful. (And thank you for your indulgence!)

Journal size drives me crazy--because I seem to keep changing--looking for the perfect size for journaling and for a daily agenda... (I use a leather cover so it can get bulky if you are not careful).

I do a certain amount of flip-flopping myself; and I also like the look of a leather cover for keeping 2-3 notebooks together. Hence the topic, to help settle on one size!

I think that the choice of format size will have to do with the kinds of pens and nibs you will be wanting to write with for this project...

So, how big's your handwriting? What sorts of pens and nibs do you want to write with?

The larger the format, the more freedom you have to write without things feeling cramped; you don't have to break a sentence across 5 different lines when it only needs two because the page width allows for it, if you understand what I mean.

Thanks for this, Silent Speaker. It crossed my mind that nibs would be a consideration. My handwriting can be fairly small, but I have a few favourite medium nibs and wet pens that are changing the situation. You've all persuaded me to go for A5 at minimum. Less pocketable; still decent for glove compartments and sketching bags, if needs be.

I like composition notebooks and rotate them througa a nice leather cover. I watch for FP-friendly notebooks and keep a backlog. B5 journals also fit the cover.

I have used many different journals, in many different sizes. Here's what works for me. #1 Apica B5. Nice smooth paper which is a pleasure on which to write. Large enough pages to expand my daily entry beyond A5 sized journals. A limited amount of pages so I avoid the growing itch to change journals. A5 is a bit too small. I have used A4 as well - Clairefontaine, but it doesn't lay as flat as the Apica B5. Goldilocks would approve. Just my opinion. Other folks may reasonably differ.

I use different notebooks for different purposes these days. For "planning" purposes I have been using the Franklin Covey system since 1986. My 2019 is on its way. Oh, and I have every one of those years still.

I have some A5 Leuchtturm for notes and things. For some types of things Made in Brazil composition books at the office. (scratch pad type notes) Meeting notes I have a A5 I got for free someplace and the paper is pretty absorbent. Much more so than Leuchtturm, though they looks similar. I was hoping for better paper, but I will use it.

I also have a couple of A4 Red N Black right now. One of them I bought to use at the office, but it has my 2018 Christmas card list in it too. (wire bound) I started the list at the office, which is why that happened. I also have a couple of approximate A5 sized cheap (walmart) sketchbooks.

I have a 3.5 x 5.5? Field Notes type notebook I am currently using for ink journal type use. And an Apica CD5 for shirt pocket use.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

I use the large Leuchtturm1917 which is about 7/12 by 12 inches ---- 233 pages. Don't understand the desire for a "small journal!" If I had small ones, I would have to replace them every couple of months! ------- Serious journal writer since about 1956, or so.

Write on into that beautiful sunset.

C. S.

I use mostly A5 journals, for both my regular journal and my bullet journal. I tend to buy them from Michael's because they have a brandless series of knockoff bullet-journal journals, that are just $5 each. I love the A5's because they fit in my purse.

I do have one A4-ish (8x10 inch) notebook, but it's just for my Morning Pages.

Oh, and I have a teensy-tiny notebook that my love bought me for Christmas. It's about 130mm x 95mm, or like 5x3.75". I haven't decided what to do with it yet but it's incredibly cute.

-Taylor

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

Cult Pens/Ruitertassen A5 cover winging it's way...

I use the large Leuchtturm1917 which is about 7/12 by 12 inches ---- 233 pages. Don't understand the desire for a "small journal!" If I had small ones, I would have to replace them every couple of months! ------- Serious journal writer since about 1956, or so.

Thought about that! I'll have to organise things to see what needs to stay in the cover longer - for bullet journalling, at least.

Oh, and I have a teensy-tiny notebook that my love bought me for Christmas. It's about 130mm x 95mm, or like 5x3.75". I haven't decided what to do with it yet but it's incredibly cute.

-Taylor

I still have a couple of those to use up, though I'm tempted to push those tiny Silvine books in a pocket.

Prefer about 5" x 8" and not more than 200 pages. I have used smaller notebooks for journaling. Presently using a standard 003 Midori Travelers for everyday journaling.i think that is my #1 journal now.

. It's about 130mm x 95mm, or like 5x3.75". I haven't decided what to do with it yet but it's incredibly cute.

-Taylor

I use one of those small notebooks to keep track of books I have bought to avoid buying a duplicate book. I keep lists of authors i commonly look for. I keep it in a vest pocket or EDC bag. And i buy a lot of books.

Third time's the charm...

Another factor which would influence your journal size preferences is: what do you normally carry with you outdoors every day? Do you usually carry some kind of bag or briefcase with you? Or do you often head outdoors with no carry-space except the pockets on your clothes? In the latter case a pocket notebook would certainly be a lot more convenient. I almost always carry a small bag when out and about, which makes A5-size journals convenient for me.

As mentioned above, I usually stick a 3.5x5.5" book in a pocket as a sketchbook and occasional notebook. It's a familiar size, but the good folk here have already persuaded me to go with A5, for much the same reasons as you mentioned elsewhere.

I've got my notebook cover already, stuffed with Clairefontaine and Paperchase. It's brilliant. It makes my inner hipster turn cartwheels. I can't form too many objective conclusions after a grand total of three days' use, but the worst aspect so far is that the slickness of Clairefontaine paper took me by surprise.

I have a couple of bags, used for sketching oddments and my camera, where it slots in without too much bother; but I don't always have them on me. The glove compartment of the car is the next most convenient tote. It might leave me with the occasional situation where I don't have a journal to hand and desperately need one, but I think I can wing it!

Edited by WarrenB