The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Dip Pen Shape Names

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 18:33

I have created a first pass at an attempt to standardize the names for the various shapes in which steel dip pens were made.

I also posted about this in the main forum but thought I'd point out to those in this neighborhood that my attempt at codifying standard names for dip pen shapes began with Esterbrook nibs. This list is based on trying to catalog all of the Esterbrook pens listed on The Esterbrook Project

The shape glossary, found here, does not include all of the multitudinous shapes found in Europe, but should work for the majority of pens made in the US. 

Anyway, just though I'd point out this resource for those interested in the "old-school" Esterbrooks, like the 048 Falcon. 

Here's a sample: (Use of The Esterbrook Project images by permission)

Leaf

Similar to a Spoon, but the body is bottom heavy with a deep curve at the bottom but quickly narrowing at the top. The body has a rounded profile.

ESTERBROOK-256.jpg?resize=740%2C187&ssl=

Esterbrook #256 Tecumseh

Long stub

A longer , straight-bodied stub.

ESTERBROOK-312.jpg?resize=740%2C182&ssl=

Esterbrook #312 Judge’s Quill

Pinched Center

A normal heel, then the beginning of the body is pinched in and down to make a center ridge that extends up to the main body, which is generally smaller and then tapered or rounded towards the tip.

cropped-Washington-Medallion-pen-engraviWashington Medallion Pen 1870s-Esterbrook-54-Superb-Salesman-Card

Esterbrook #54 Superb

https://thesteelpen....posed-glossary/

Edited by AAAndrew, 08 December 2018 - 18:36.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

#2 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2018 - 00:10

Interesting as always Andrew. Thanks for sharing!

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#3 _InkyFingers

_InkyFingers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,571 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2018 - 00:16

That Esty 256.. is a real looker! Does it flex?

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2018 - 00:49

The Tecumseh is a bit flexible, and almost impossible to find.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:46

I have several Falcon 048 nibs that appear to flex. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#6 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 13:40

Esterbrooks flagship pen, the 048 Falcon was manufactured from almost the beginning of the companys history (at least the late 1860s) until the end of steel pen production. The early ones tend to have more flex than the newer ones. Find yourself a nice one with an old imprint and you can have a decently flexible pen, though it was always labeled as a general business pen, not something truly flexible, i.e. for penmen.

From the 1883 catalog.
This is a pen suitable for the general business writer. It has a degree of fineness equally between a sharp-pointed and a coarse pen, and elasticity sufficient to enable it to write with ease and freedom...

Flexible is a relative term, as Ive pointed out many a time. What seems wildly fine and flexible compared to a modern flex fountain pen was considered a firm, medium pen in the world of dip pens.

An example.

Attached Images

• 0CC35C66-DCD3-4F04-A23A-1710A45E76F5.jpeg

-Montaigne

#7 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 20:20

You should make a video showing how you write like that.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Sponsored Content

|