The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Steel Dip Pen Shapes: A Proposed Glossary

dip nibs dip pens reference shapes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:43

Steel pens come in a myriad of shapes. US pens tend to have less variation than European pens, especially by the early 20th-century. As I've worked to rigorously catalog my collection of mostly US pens, I've felt the need for some kind of standardized name for the shapes of my pens. I've not encountered any standard list from the old days, and different companies often used different names for the same shape.

So, I've finally gathered a modest list of shape names and descriptions that seem to make sense to me and are useful for the pens I've cataloged so far.

Take a look and let me know what you think. As I say in the intro, I'm sure not everyone will agree with either my names or my categorizations, but that's OK. I'm willing to hear suggestions, especially if you can point to an older source (and even better, multiple sources) that use another name.

Also, if you have better images, especially for the shapes for which I only have imperfect images from old catalogs, I'm happy to accept contributions.

Thanks to the Esterbrook Project for letting me use so many of their images. Until I photograph my own collection, theirs is the best source out there for American shapes.

https://thesteelpen....posed-glossary/

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

#2 bass1193

bass1193

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:04

Fascinating, right in line with all the great content you provide! I know they're not for writing, but maybe an entry for scratch-knife type nibs is warranted?

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:46

Really, really nice. You do great work, that will last a long time as a research tool for 'western's' and even 'easterns'....besides folks that indulge in Spenserian.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• Member - Gold

• 2,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:09

Fascinating, right in line with all the great content you provide! I know they're not for writing, but maybe an entry for scratch-knife type nibs is warranted?

I had Scratch Knife as a shape but want to gather a couple more images to refine it first. I only have one example in my collection. Good catch that this was missing!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

#5 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• Member - Gold

• 2,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:11

Really, really nice. You do great work, that will last a long time as a research tool for 'western's' and even 'easterns'....besides folks that indulge in Spenserian.

Thanks, Bo Bo. There is so little reference material out there that it’s all “low hanging fruit” as they say.

-Montaigne

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:21

Not really, one needs the will and drive, to find the trees with the low hanging fruit.

To do anything ...well, one needs a bit of obsession for drive. In this case  a wish to know, a wish to teach. :thumbup:

No BS, you leave a well marked path that others may follow, with out needing their machete.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#7 bass1193

bass1193

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:21

I had Scratch Knife as a shape but want to gather a couple more images to refine it first. I only have one example in my collection. Good catch that this was missing!

I didn't even know they were a thing until I noticed one hiding in the hinge of an old cigar box I bought at an antique store :lol: I thought it was surely some rare thing until I googled it and found that Speedball is still producing the 113, though mine is older and branded Hunt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dip nibs, dip pens, reference, shapes

Sponsored Content

|