Video Review: Hero H718 (Retractable Nib)

alanlight

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• MuddyWaters

• Doug C

• Mech-for-i

Alan,

All of your videos which I checked are out of focus.

Edited by mke

well screw it I've been on the fence about this pen for a while. You sold me.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 1 year later...

I got mine last November, only got around to inking it today. It's shockingly good. The nib flexes easily and is very smooth. It works better than Aurora's flex nib, IMHO.

i just ordered one in silver. What is the body made of, and is it heavy?

I am assuming that the nib is a fine (there was only one option).

the Danitrio Fellowship

The main things holding me back from getting one were 1) the weight (apparently it is so ungodly heavy that it is difficult to write with for moderate lengths of time) and given that, 2) the price (I think over $100 CAD).

In that price range, you used to be able to get a 3776 - not true anymore, and those pens are too small for me anyway, so maybe the H718 still is a decent deal.

Very much so.

Not good.

I might end up selling it as soon as I get it.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

I actually really like metal, heavy and thick pens, and love the art design of this pen (sort of like a Kaweco Dia2, which for me is one of the best looking pens) but I'm not sure I read enough "wow" reviews about the H718 to make me pull the trigger, especially if the weight will be that extreme.

Do you still use yours @Honeybadgers?

• 4 months later...

Is the Hero H718 nib a standard size you can transplant into something less weighty?

The Hero 10K open nib in multiple size had always write like a charm and belay that 10K only part ; though if just looking for one with these 10K nib and wanting not ( exactly ) the weight , one can try looking for the Hero H708 , C/C fill de-facto no.5 nib and yes still heavy all brass all black lacquered ( but not as heavy as the H718 ) ; its also IMHO , despite all the gold trim , a more low key styling ; and for the bonus its only half the price or even less off that of the H718 and its build like a TANK

44237404921_61cf8912bf_k.jpgHero H708, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...

The Hero 10K open nib in multiple size had always write like a charm and belay that 10K only part ; though if just looking for one with these 10K nib and wanting not ( exactly ) the weight , one can try looking for the Hero H708 , C/C fill de-facto no.5 nib and yes still heavy all brass all black lacquered ( but not as heavy as the H718 ) ; its also IMHO , despite all the gold trim , a more low key styling ; and for the bonus its only half the price or even less off that of the H718 and its build like a TANK

Hero H708, on Flickr

I own a Hero H718 sice a couple of days. And I found something strange with the nib:

fpn_1592936715__hero_h718_nib_003.jpg

As you can see the slit doesn't reach the vent hole. Tere is a gap. As a consequence of that the nib doesn't give any line variation. Is still soft, wet and smooth but say good bye to line variation.

I own a Kaco Master 14K too and the nib has the same feature.

I'm wondering if that's a trend in the chinese market. I was interested in a Hero gold nib with a... full slit?

Are you aware if that "gap" between the slit and the vent hole is common in any kind of nib?

Best regards and I'll see you in health.

I own a Hero H718 sice a couple of days. And I found something strange with the nib:

As you can see the slit doesn't reach the vent hole. Tere is a gap. As a consequence of that the nib doesn't give any line variation. Is still soft, wet and smooth but say good bye to line variation.

I'm wondering if that's a trend in the chinese market. I was interested in a Hero gold nib with a... full slit?

Are you aware if that "gap" between the slit and the vent hole is common in any kind of nib?

Most likely just due to poor quality control. You see some vintage nibs that have the opposite problem, i.e., slits that are overshot beyond the hole. But it shouldn't affect the nib functionally. Edited by steve50

Most likely just due to poor quality control. You see some vintage nibs that have the opposite problem, i.e., slits that are overshot beyond the hole. But it shouldn't affect the nib functionally.

No, it doesn't affect the nib functionality.,, but. But, before the "feature" / "defect" was added, the nib was hable to give some line variation. Now it doesn't.

I don't think that is a quality control problem. I can believe that if it had happened to one pen, but not to a batch of nibs. And I found this "problem" in two different brands (I mean many Kaco Master 14k have that "issue" and more than one Hero H718).

Nevertheless I can be completely wrong. I'm thinking of asking directly to Hero / Kaco.

Hmm .. I think this calls for a refund or exchange alright ... the slit should open into the breather hole

look at these... the slit goes all the way...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MpAAAOSwQXpcwQMu/s-l1600.jpg

44237404921_61cf8912bf_k.jpgHero H708, on Flickr

Looks like a nice pen but cannot find on usual websites.

In the photograph. Doesn't necessarily mean it will in the pen you receive. I'd ask before purchasing.

ok