The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer Snorkel Tube

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joepike16

joepike16

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 23:36

So I recieved a cheap non-working snorkel off of ebay last week. I thought that I would work on my restoration skills. However when I disassembled the section and tried to remove the snorkel from the sac protector, the snorkel tube pulled out (very easily) from the black section at the top of the sac protector. Is this supposed to happen? As I was reading Richard Binders book on restoration and watched several youtube videos, it doesn't appear that the snorkel tube should slide out without the black section attached? Now that they are detached, can they be repaired? 

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:39

The snorkel tube should come out of the plug, though usually with a little effort. You want a snug fit so that the tube doesn't come out as you extend and retract it when filling the pen.   The hole in the plug may stretch over time.  When you take the plug out of the sac guard to replace the sac, put the inside end on a toothpick and heat the plug over your heat gun.  The rubber will soften and go back to its original shape, making the fit of the tube tighter when you put it back in.  i also put a bit of shellac on the snorkel tube just above the end to seal and secure it in the plug.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 joepike16

joepike16

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:08

Thanks for the advice!

#4 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:33

Anyone had the spring jamming into its springseat in the sac protector so hard that it unscrews the springseat up the sac protector?

Was fiddling last night with the Snorks in my to-do box... was one that wouldn't go back together. Found its springseat was now halfway up the threaded section of sac protector... got curious how it got that way.

After much investigation/experimentation... appears that when unscrewing body off the section, the spring doesn't freely rotate but instead digs in into the springseat. It also cams tight against the barrel insides... so unscrewing that also unscrews the springseat as the sac protector cannot turn.

#5 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 8,765 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 13:54

This usually happens when the spring is rusted and stuck in the ring.  The spring binds on the barrel, and the splines on the end of the sac guard interlock with the section so the sac guard can't turn freely in the barrel.  When you unscrew the section something has to give, so the ring unscrews and moves up the sac guard. Its a bit tricky to get the spring free without damaging the ring.   Though it is possible to salvage the parts, and I often do,  when I go into it I expect to replace either the spring or the ring... or both.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

#6 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2018 - 15:47

Yep, I'm surprised the spring could grab that ring so tightly. I tried twisting the ring to screw it back & it wouldn't budge, not even with some grippy rubber's assistance. Ended up pressing the ring back down with a vice :)

Spring wasn't super rusty, just a few odd spots. The tips are real sharp though, they really dig into the ring. I wound the spring tighter which reduced its diameter, so it wouldn't cam against barrel as easily.

#7 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 8,765 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 19:54

A little silicone grease on the spring, inside and out, also helps, and helps to keep the spring from rusting.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens

#8 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 13:38

Lately my derusting process involves a long soak in EvapoRust, rinsed then heat dried whilst over coated in either Reducteur H72 or Lanox liquid lanolin.

That particular Snork, meh it's been resident in the boneyard box for a year or 3. Just wanted to properly reassemble it so parts didn't go missing; its spring couldn't go back in with the seat unscrewed. It's kept company by other Snorks, most of those have petrified sacs. I gotta get around to resaccing... one day. :)

Sponsored Content

|