Cross-Bred 51?

surprise123

I got this in the mail today, after winning it on Ebay. I've never seen a Mark III with the regular clutch ring, or the original 51 style clip. I thought Mark III pens were supposed to have a slimmer clutch ring, and the cap was supposed to grab onto the section (and look like a 61 cap). The cap has the same clutch fingers as earlier pens, and it even interchanges with my Aerometric MK II 51. But it has that domed 61-esque barrel end. What's going on?

I like that medium stub, though. Very smooth.

post-135788-0-84679500-1544136400_thumb.jpg

post-135788-0-03425800-1544136489_thumb.jpg

post-135788-0-00651700-1544136556_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• christof

• mitto

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently you haven't had an adequate initiation into the mysteries of Parker's factory improvisations, not even to mention end user parts swaps. No, this pen does not conform to the rules and standards you read about, but it is a real 51, and I think I like the older clutch ring. The oddities in 51s are part of their charm. Keep the faith. It gets more unusual. It isn't boring.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The MK III aero and MKI/MKII aero barrels are interchangable as the threads on barrels and connectors are the same. MkIV barrel, however, does not fit the MKI, MKII and MKIII pens.

You have a MKIII barrel on a MKI/MKII pen.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

...the section clearly looks like an english MK III

but the cap does not really look like a MkIII...

27240992138_d374334dbf_b.jpgParker 51 Mk II Gray von -C.M.Z-

c.

Edited by christof

English MKII (with short enclosed filler) and English MKIII (pearl jewel and not the metal jewel) aero 51s.

Barrels of the two interchanged.

Khan M. Ilyas

The MK III aero and MKI/MKII aero barrels are interchangable as the threads on barrels and connectors are the same. MkIV barrel, however, does not fit the MKI, MKII and MKIII pens.

Interesting. Parker cross-pollination?

The other thing is that the pencil, barrel, and section colors match perfectly. So possibly a cross-contamination from the factory.

The other thing is that the pencil, barrel, and section colors match perfectly. So possibly a cross-contamination from the factory.

What is the question again? Also, what is the desired answer.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

As said, I believe that your pen is a correct english Mk III, except the cap and clutch ring.

c.