The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Magnifying Visor

repair magnifying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 22:40

For the past several years I have been doing some of my own nib smoothing with the help of a loop but need to go to the next level and get a magnifying visor, probably an illuminated one. Welcome recommendations for a visor that has multiple magnification options. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:40

The cheap ones aren't worth the money IMO.  Buy an Optovisor.  Good lenses and well made VS the lenses of the cheap ones.  I find that I can't use one though.  They give me a headache.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:41

Thanks Ron. I decided to order the one from Pentooling. If that doesn't work out, I will seek out the Optovisor brand you mentioned which does seem more robust. Bennett

#4 austinwft

austinwft

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 17:44

I can't comment on the quality of cheaper brands since I've only ever used OptiVISOR, the ones pictured below are more than 20 years old, but I find them to be indispensable for all kind of hobbyist and home project task as well as for fountain pen tinkering. I now have two pair, each with a different magnification lens, and both with the OptiLOUPE accessory which multiplies the lenses magnification by 2.5 times when in use.

The quality and clarity of the OptiVISOR "glass" lenses is exceptional but they do offer them in a cheaper version with plastic lenses which I would advise against since I learned with my second pair of OptiVISORs that they are easily scratched and I eventually had to replace them after I accidentally splashed some acetone on them which melted the plastic lenses. And though the acetone did a number on the plastic lenses it didn't damage the grey visor and all I had to replace was the lens!

The cheap ones aren't worth the money IMO.  Buy an Optovisor.  Good lenses and well made VS the lenses of the cheap ones.  I find that I can't use one though.  They give me a headache.

And Ron, you might try putting a welding helmet/hardhat sweatband over the leather padded band on the visor. I found this to make a huge difference in how long I could wear them without any discomfort. And with the sweatband I could wear the visor with the headband being adjusted looser and they would still remain comfortably in place.

YMMV.

Attached Images

• OptiVisor.jpeg

#5 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 18:55

It has nothing to do with the headband.  My eyes and brain can't handle the two lenses.  I use a magnifying lamp at the bench, and a quality jewelers loupe on one eye, both eyes open, for nib and other close work,

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#6 austinwft

austinwft

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2018 - 14:59

I "SEE".  :lticaptd:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, magnifying

Sponsored Content

|