The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Magnifying Visor

repair magnifying

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 22:40

For the past several years I have been doing some of my own nib smoothing with the help of a loop but need to go to the next level and get a magnifying visor, probably an illuminated one. Welcome recommendations for a visor that has multiple magnification options. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 22:41

Sorry about the double posting. My mistake. Bennett

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 23:47

Not sure where you can get them, but I may be able to find out for you.  The weekend before Thanksgiving I was a weekend thing with all sorts of fiber and needlework related classes, and one woman was teaching a class on millinery [hat making] techniques.  She had one that did have a light as well as magnification, and I may be able to dig up contact information on where she got hers.  I meant to ask her at the time, but was worried that I wouldn't be able to get it to fit (I have trouble finding hats because most are too big for me).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA:  Hmmm.  In the meantime (I've got a cat in my lap wanting attention as I type) I did a quickie Google search and they have a cheapie one at Harbor Freight for under $5.  Have no idea of the quality -- but, as a friend of my husband says "If you buy a tool at Harbor Freight and it breaks, you go buy a better one.  If you buy a tool at Harbor Freight and you never use it, you're not out a lot of money...."  Plus, I don't know about you, but we get inundated with their coupon flyers in the Sunday paper, plus get catalogs in the mail every now and then....  This particular one has four magnification levels, but only up to 8x; OTOH, it says it does fit over glasses or safety glasses, and takes AAA batteries.  

More expensive 10x ones appear to be available through Amazon and (of all places) Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Edited by inkstainedruth, 06 December 2018 - 23:56.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 23:54

Thanks, I did see one on pentooling.com that seemed reasonably priced.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 00:21

Oh, yeah, I always forget to look at their site.  And I just bought a replacement loupe from them at OPS (same brand as what I had, I think) after mine went walkabout somewhere along the line -- and I had already lost the little gadget to open up the battery cubby....

Hmmm.  I should see if they have them at the next pen show I go to....  I'd like to try one before I buy it to see if it fits me at ALL....  Especially after once taking a lamp working class and the stupid didymium glasses the instructor had didn't fit over my glasses (if I ever decide to take up glass work, I'm going to see how much it would cost to get spare glasses and coat the lenses...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:56

Thanks Ruth!

#7 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:12

Most visor magnifiers have limited magnification unless you go with the single eye monocle types that I find uncomfortable.  For high magnification in a binocular headset you are probably going to spend big bucks.  I tried out a set that my dentist uses and loved it until I saw the price tag.

American Science and Surplus has a good selection, most of them at the low end of the price spectrum.  The inventory changes on a regular basis.  Some of their stuff is really great for the price and some is, well, you can tell why it is surplus.  The company is reputable and gives good customer support.  One of my 10X loupes came from them and is the first one I reach for when working on nibs or studying wing veins and body bristles in small insects.

If you get bored try reading some of their ad copy.  Somebody at that place has a strange sense of humor.

Good luck in your search.

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#8 alexwi

alexwi

If you're not inside, you're outside.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:20

American Science and Surplus ...

If you get bored try reading some of their ad copy.  Somebody at that place has a strange sense of humor.

Definitely entertaining copy. You owe me half an hour of my day back. ;-)

Alex

#9 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 23:59

Amazon lists several visor magnifiers with interchangeable lenses of different powers.

#10 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 00:32

I've been down this road before.  I have tried a couple of "lesser expensives" ones that I found on Amazon - all pure junk!  I would recommend that you purchase something of quality.  Yes, it might cost a bit more but it will save you a lot of hassle. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, magnifying

Sponsored Content

|