Sailor 1911 Realo Or P51?

ParkerDuofold

Hi all,

This may be comparing apple's and oranges... I dunno,... but between a Sailor 1911 (Realo) and a P51,... if you were asked to choose between these two... which one would you take (and why)?

Thank you much... and be well. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• surprise123

• mitto

• Honeybadgers

Is the Sailor a nail? It has a classic easy to use nib. The section is not intrusive....

A C/C pen?

The P-51 is the one you need......first, it is the Classic. Slip cap....some like the no threads, others don't like the slide down to the end no section lip.

The medium-long P51 is a great pen, the fiberglass sac still works, has great balance.

Some folks have a problem finding the tiny nib.............not if you post the pen.........it is long enough not too, but is better balanced posted.

Might have some later models that also did sac, cartridge and converter. My P-75 did that....after converters came in.

Don't know if the latter one with out the bottom jewel is better balanced than the one with, that is something you need to ask in Parker.

To find a P-51 that is not a nail is very hard to do.........is possible.

I have only one, in one needs one...........but I'm not into nails.

I do have an English made Parker Jr. Duofold that is semi-flex and a P-45 that is regular flex............so perhaps someone in the Parker sub section, would know if the English made P-51 has a regular flex or even a semi-flex nib.....................the Queen used a P-51 for generations.

For all I know Parker could have had a Warrant(something the Royal House gives for top free items) until they close their English factory.

Both English Parker and Sheaffer had to make nibs with a tad of flex, in Swan had a full set of flexes....and they had to compete against Swan.

I have an Australian made Sheaffer Snorkel, that is a maxi-semi-flex factory BB stub. :) :bunny01:

It all depends like always what do you want the nib to do. Then how well balanced is the pen.

Do you want a jeweled P-51, one with out, what sort of cap (makes a big difference to them with 51 P51's........I'm sure you could spend two weeks just finding out which one.....if you are going to only get 'one'.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi BoBo,

The Sailor would be a Realo... so it would be a piston filler. I'm assuming the nib would be a nail... but as long as it's a smooth nail,... I don't mind. :D

Truth be told; I've owned both in the past, (not a Realo, but a Sailor 1911),... and didn't care for either one,... but both of these pens get such raves here... there HAD TO BE something wrong with the ones I had... and I'm missing the big picture on one or both of these pens.

So I've decided to give one of them another chance... and I'm hoping for some constructive input here. :)

The thing is,... I've been in kind of a celebratory mood the past 3/4 weeks... and I've bought A LOT of pens... :D ...so I'd like to keep it to one or the other... for the sake of my wallet. :D

Thanks for your input... always useful... :thumbup: ...sounds like you favor the 51. :D

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to delete extraneous information.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Congratulations on whatever circumstances have put you in a celebratory mood.

If smoothness is your main requirement, I think the Parker 51 is a better choice.

My Sailors are not Realos--they are Pro Gear Slims--and I love them, but their nibs are not super smooth.

If you already have a lot of very smooth pens, as I suspect you do, I would vote that you acquire the Sailor, precisely because it will be interestingly different from your other pens.

Of course, one could take a Sailor and make it smoother, but I think the most appealing quality of the brand is that it makes for a mindful writing experience.

Between a Realo & a 51, I would take the 51. I love Sailor, but don't care or the ink window &, for the extra money, you're getting not getting a capacity upgrade over anything but Sailor's undersized converter. As ENewton says, the 51 will be smoother than the Sailor, if that's what you're looking for. The Sailors will have a tactile feedback, which some love, but you may not.

ENewton said:

"Congratulations on whatever circumstances have put you in a celebratory mood."

I suspect it's his mom's improved health. Welcome back, Anthony.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I'd say an aerometric 51 with a nice wide nib. The Real does not hold more ink that a Sailor cartridge so you are spending more money for a complication that does not add ink capacity.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I didn't like the grip section on the P51, too narrow. So, I sold it.

I have a Sailor Realo (M) and I really like the way it writes, not to mention the ink capacity. I sometimes have 8-hour writing sessions if I'm working on a book. The Realo mets that challenge for me.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Both are excellent pens. Just _different_. A good Sailor nib is a work of art. That doesn't mean you'll like it. Something to consider: if you lean towards narrow linewidths, Sailor is an excellent choice. A Sailor F is like a Western EF or XF and there's nothing quite like it in the whole wide world. For M and wider, a nice P51 is a monster writer that will never, ever disappoint. For F, you'd need to look into a Sailor M or a P51 F. Both are excellent, just different.

I'm one of those unusual people who find the P51.....well, boring. The F and EF nibs tend to run a bit dry. I like the vacumatic filling system and it's hidden button pump, but they are a bit of a pain to replace. The styling is a classic, that I cannot deny, but it just doesn't really do it for me for some reason. I keep mine because it was my grandfathers, but in all honesty, if I didn't have a sentimental attachment to it, it would be gone long ago.

Parker 51 (aerometric). It looks cool, doesn't stand out, and the nibs are great. Sailor Realos are good pens and write well, but do not fit my personal taste.

I'm one of those unusual people who find the P51.....well, boring. The F and EF nibs tend to run a bit dry. I like the vacumatic filling system and it's hidden button pump, but they are a bit of a pain to replace. The styling is a classic, that I cannot deny, but it just doesn't really do it for me for some reason. I keep mine because it was my grandfathers, but in all honesty, if I didn't have a sentimental attachment to it, it would be gone long ago.

Yes, yes, Parker 51s are terrible and ugly. The nibs are hard to see, the filling system is a bear to replace, and the design is horrible.

Hopefully people will see this post and prices go down...

Hi all,

It would seem the decision has been made for me. :)

A very kind and generous member here has informed me back-channel that she has a Parker 51 that she believes is perfectly suited for me and has generously offered it to me. :cloud9:

So, the pen of choice will be the P51... which I will now publicly admit... that I was leaning towards that pen even before this magnanimous gesture was offered... so it must be kismet. :D

I want to thank you all for your time and input... and for those of you who suggested the Sailor,... do not feel neglected... knowing me... it's only a matter of time... :D

Thanks again,... be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

ENewton said:

"Congratulations on whatever circumstances have put you in a celebratory mood."

I suspect it's his mom's improved health. Welcome back, Anthony.

Hi Corgi, et al,

Yes, that is correct. :thumbup:

(My apologies for not responding sooner).

- Anthony

I prefer the Parker 51 over any Japanese pen I have used. I don't seem to get along well with the Japanese pens. I prefer American and older.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I prefer the Parker 51 over any Japanese pen I have used. I don't seem to get along well with the Japanese pens. I prefer American and older.

+1