The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Pocket Pen

sailor pocket pen disassemble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 javier26

javier26

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:57

I recently purchased a vintage Sailor Pocket pen.  It arrived from Japan very dirty and I did a thorough cleanse and even soaked in soapy water.  Nearly all visible old ink has been removed, but when I add ink cartridge, the pen will write for a short while and then becomes very dry with no ink.  I suspect the feed has dried residual ink.  I have looked for some details on disassembling the nib and feed, but find nothing.

Can anyone help confirm if the nib is friction fit and can be pulled out through the front or is there some screwed in retainer in the section which must be removed first?  Are there any tools or diagrams to help.  I don't want to use too much force and damage the pen.  It has a nice 18K nib.

Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:17

A picture would clarify which of the many Sailor models you might be referring to.

Edited by 25_15_3, 07 December 2018 - 03:18.

#3 peerless1

peerless1

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:07

If it is a thumbnail nib, I believe it is inserted from the rear of the section.

Disassembly is possible but, difficult.

Suggest soaking it in more aggressive solution.

Try ammonia and water or Windex added to water.

Next level is spray bathroom tile cleaner (my favorite) or some other heavy duty cleaner.  Basic ingredient is ammonia.

You will not hurt the pen unless you use mineral spirits or acetone.

When soaking the section blow out the liquid from the section side. Do this repeatedly. Do it from the nib side too. Put the section in your outh and blow hard. Hold onto the section when blowing so it does not blow away. You should be able to feel the flow of air through the section.

You did not say what kind of ink you are using. Assume you are using Sailor cartridges.

You can also try inserting thin wire from the rear of the section.

Am confident you will clean it out, if that is the problem. Give it time.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

#4 javier26

javier26

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:51

Thank you to all for your comments.  I have soaked the pen for days in a 10% ammonia and soapy water.

following is a photo.

fpn_1544161820__sailor_1.jpg

#5 kpong11

kpong11

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:13

To disassemble this pen, you need special tool to unscrew feed retaining out of the section. Then you can move nib and feed out from section end.

#6 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 22:30

To disassemble this pen, you need special tool to unscrew feed retaining out of the section. Then you can move nib and feed out from section end.

For reference

#7 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2018 - 22:48

For reference

A similar tool is needed for the 1970s Pilot Elites. 

#8 javier26

javier26

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:59

Thank you.  This will be a good weekend project in the near future.  I suspect the out diameter of the tool will be identical to a cartridge.  I will search the web to see if one is for sale.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, pocket pen, disassemble

Sponsored Content

|