Pilot Prera, Metropolitan, Kakueno, Explorer

mke

A useful thing to know re: the Kakuno is that one of more recent manufacture will fit the CON-70 converter, whereas older ones (manufactured before 2015 or so, IIRC) did not.

The reason is that the old (pre-2015?) Kakunos had large plastic support fins inside the barrel that block a CON-70, whereas newer (post 2015?) Kakunos do not have the large support fins, therefore being able to accomodate the CON-70.

If in doubt, as long as your Kakuno has a date code on the nib that says x15 or later (x being the month) you should be good to go. A more direct way would be to disassemble the pen and peer into the barrel to verify the presence or absence of those obstructing support fins, but you might not be able to do that if buying a new Kakuno (since it comes in a sealed blister pack).

EDIT: well, a moment of absentmindedness there. I just took a look at my Kakuno, and remembered that, unlike many other Pilot pens, it doesn't have a visible date code on the nib. Mea culpa.

Well, if CON-70 compatibility is important to you, it would be best to buy a Kakuno from stores where you can be reasonably confindent that stock moves quickly, then. Although it is rather unlikely you'd get a pre-2015 Kakuno if you buy a new one now.

Edited by KLscribbler

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tamiya

• A Smug Dill

• XYZZY

• putteringpenman

haha @ "durian-land" :P am up in MY now

No more or less plasticky than Platinum and Sailor desk pens at the same price point, really. (I have several of each.) Actually, no more plasticky than the old 78G for that matter.

I've been back to that store. :) Reinspected the red/black Platinums & confirm they look a lot rougher molded than the Platinum Carbon pen. Gold trim ring is square edged vs rounded on Carbon pen.

Bought out store's Carbon pens. :D (Just as well because it sounds like prices are on the up - the register scanned them at higher price than the paper price tags on item.)

Carbon pen's plastic is denser than I'd expect. Feels solid in hand.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just noticed clear Kakuno has same unique smiley face on all 3 nib sizes :P unlike the coloureds where M is :) and F is ;) winky.

Just for the record, the winky/smiley/tongue divide is based on the cap color, not the nib width. The winky face is on every nib sold with a pen with a pastel-colored cap, and the smiley is on the bold colors. The demonstrator has all tongue-out.

• 1 month later...

Pilot Prera could be still a good option or there be pens that for the same price offer a better smooth and comfort experience ?

I'm thinking the explorer could be an excellent work pen with a con-70 and the metro nib. Apparently the explorer nib is not the same and not as good as the metro's

I read some speculation that the nibs on the Explorer had been outsourced to China and were not as good. But I don't know.

Yes, and after inquiring about the Explorer at my local stationery store, I found it much too expensive for what it is. The Kano remains a cheaper alternative of similar size and can also fit the con 70, though it has no clip

Just adding to this that if you get a demonstrator Kakuno, it's guaranteed to fit the Con-70s because they were made after the switch to accomodating the larger converters. Also, they now come in EF nib sizes.

I have one and I love it to death. It looks less like a school pen because it's a demonstrator, to my eye. I like it much, much better than the Metropolitan, which I find to be a tad small and heavy for my personal writing style. Well, "heavy" isn't always the problem, but combined with the smallish size of the pen, the Metro becomes uncomfortable for me to hold after an extended writing session.

Also, I have both the EU and JP version of the Metros. The EU takes standard international cartridges, while the JP takes the proprietary Pilot ones. I'm guessing the ink flow would be better on the JP ones because the mouth is wider on the JP version, but both of my Metros are serial gushers (in the detrimental, nib creep while you're not looking sense) so I've never really noticed a difference.

Both of my M-nib Metros and my EF-nib Kakuno are excellent, no problems right out of the box.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Just adding to this that if you get a demonstrator Kakuno, it's guaranteed to fit the Con-70s because they were made after the switch to accomodating the larger converters. Also, they now come in EF nib sizes.

I didn't realize this. I assumed that the "To CON-70 or not to CON-70" was a matter of design aesthetic. I didn't realize it's basically a matter of time? Pre CON-70 and Post CON-70?

When was the CON-70 released?

Oh I have no idea, but when the Kakuno was made would be the determining factor. Kakunos are only available on Amazon / Ebay where I'm at, and those are always a bit of a crapshoot as to what age of model you'd be getting in my experience. I'm not sure when Pilot made the Kakunos switch to being Con-70 friendly, but I'm certain it was only in the last few years, so your biggest "danger zone" would be the blackish-grey bodied M-nibbed ones, because those are the ones that are likely to be the "oldest" stock. Whereas the transparent (any nib size) or EF Kakunos (any body color) would definitely fit a Con-70 because they were manufactured after the Kakuno design change.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Oh I have no idea, but when the Kakuno was made would be the determining factor. Kakunos are only available on Amazon / Ebay where I'm at, and those are always a bit of a crapshoot as to what age of model you'd be getting in my experience. I'm not sure when Pilot made the Kakunos switch to being Con-70 friendly, but I'm certain it was only in the last few years, so your biggest "danger zone" would be the blackish-grey bodied M-nibbed ones, because those are the ones that are likely to be the "oldest" stock. Whereas the transparent (any nib size) or EF Kakunos (any body color) would definitely fit a Con-70 because they were manufactured after the Kakuno design change.

All soft color models and clear models can take the con 70.

Only a few months' production of the dark colors can't.