Pilot Prera, Metropolitan, Kakueno, Explorer

mke

Anybody who owns these around $20 pens could give an overview? Facts and photos would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sailor/Platinum additions are welcome.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tamiya

• A Smug Dill

• XYZZY

• putteringpenman

I like my Metropolitan; I don't recommend the F nib (mine is an M) because the F I tried was scratchy (I keep meaning to ask my brother-in-law's wife what she thinks of the one she got for five bucks at Staples, because the ones they sold in blister packs were all F nibs). Don't have any of the other three, so I can't say what they're like. Some people don't like the step-down to the section, but my fingers are small enough that it isn't an issue. Mine has the squeeze converter, so it doesn't hold a huge amount of ink, but I swap colors out fairly frequently in some pens, so that's okay.

As other brands/models, I have a few Preppies, but they're set up as rollerballs. And I have a Platinum Plaisir (one of the first pens I ever bought). I don't much like it -- it's one of the older ones with the "matching" nib color -- which is a coating that is now flaking off :(, which started happening about a year in). And in addition, I have to be careful what ink I put in it because it's a very dry writer -- so I mostly don't use it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I prefer the Prera to the Metropolitan. The step on the Metro is very sharp and right where I hold the pen. The Prera is tiny, but a nice design and the plastic is robust. I tried to eyedropper it but it didn't work. Found the nibs on both to be perfectly good but if comments here are anything to go by it seems the Metro nibs are a bit hit and miss. The Metro finishes can mark quite easily too.

The nibs/feeds are physically interchangeable, although they don't have the same appearance. E.g. Kakuno has smiley/winky/tongue faces on the nibs, Metropolitans have a design, not sure about the others.

Nibs/feeds are simple friction fit and there is no "notch" or "key" for properly orienting them, which I find nice on the Kakuno becuase I like to rotate the nib a couple degrees off of what Pilot considers optimal (Kakuno has a triangular grip, not round).

I think I read somewhere that there is at least two of the models can interchange sections, too, but I can't point to anything specific.

Kakuno and Explorer can take CON-70 converter whereas the Metropolitan can not. I'm not sure about the Prera.

After the January price increase on the Metropolitan they'll be clearly ordered by price: Prera ($55), Metropolitan ($30), Explorer ($20), and Kakuno ($15) bringing up the rear. Prices are only meant to be "-ish" but they're good within $5USD. But you're in Japan I think, and I have no clue what they go for in their native market.

Prera's come with a CON-40 I think, whereas the others have no included converter. But inclusion of converter could be a country or even dealer-specific thing.

Not sure what else you're looking for, other than pictures which we're not cooperating with yet :P I assume you're looking for a single shot with all 4 side-by-side, since it's fairly easy to find shots of the individual pens on dealer sites.

Edited by XYZZY

Have Kakunos, Metros, Prera, 78Gs, Tank etc... plus a few china lookalikes.

The Pilots all work fine, nothing worth complaining about.

(if they didn't i'd have fixed them until they're fixed)

Metros feel fine in hand, the step doesn't bother. Nicely weighted.

Best balance is 78G & Tank imho... very light, looks traditional in hand.

First i've heard of Explorer :D might have to look into that one more...

As other brands/models, I have a few Preppies, but they're set up as rollerballs. And I have a Platinum Plaisir (one of the first pens I ever bought). I don't much like it -- it's one of the older ones with the "matching" nib color -- which is a coating that is now flaking off :(, which started happening about a year in). And in addition, I have to be careful what ink I put in it because it's a very dry writer -- so I mostly don't use it.

Ruth,

Have Preppy FPs & Plaisir... yeah they all write very dry on bottle inks.

But when the original Platinum cartridges are used, they write a lot wetter.

Suspect there's something oily in that factory ink ;)

Have flossed & spread all my Preppy nibs so they write ok on other inks.

Biggest annoyance now is their plastics crack.

> Not sure what else you're looking for

I am looking for a "help" page for those who want to have such a pen. So, whenever there is a question regarding these pens, we could link to this thread.

And already there is a lot of information made available from you now. Thank you very much. Keep your Info flowing. Yes, I would be great to have a comparison photo.

Personally, I will not buy such pens as I have MORE than enough already.

• 3 weeks later...

Found some Explorer at LPS (local pen store) but just the ballpoint versions.

They feel waxy soft plastic like on the V5/V7 pens... odd for a fancier pen at 6X the price.

I have a Metropolitan, Prera, and Explorer. I have a more comprehensive review with pictures in my Pilot Explorer YouTube review (link in the my signature) if you want to check that out but here is a summary.

If you want one of these pens, the only differences between them are the look, weight, and length of the pens.

• The Metropolitan is heavier and the Prera and Explorer are lighter pens.
  • The Prera is a pocket pen so it should be posted. The other two can be used posted or unposted.
  • The Prera is the only demonstrator.
  • The Metropolitan is metal. The others are plastic.
  • All are snap caps so that's a non-factor.

Those are the only distinguishing factors between the pens. Otherwise they write the same: No hard starts or skips and just a joy to use. I prefer the medium nib to the fine, but that is simply personal preference.

Overall, I'd recommending picking the pen you like based on which you think looks best and is a good weight for your hand. I'm happy to answer any questions you have if I didn't address something you are wondering.

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

• The Prera is the only demonstrator

More accurately, only the Prera line has demonstrators. There are several opaque Prera models, and they are not exclusively for the Japanese domestic market, either; see https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Prera-Fountain-Pens/ct/410

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The Prera is a smaller pen, but a nice one, and the most expensive of the three I have that you listed. I have the Prera, Metropolitan and Kakuno.

The Kakuno is light weight, and does not come with a clip. It looks a touch cheap, but I like the one I got with the white body and yellow cap.

The Metropolitan ones I have are the White Tiger and three of the Retro Pop colors.

My Prera is a demonstrator but I’ve seen photos of solid color ones. I really like the Prera I have with the medium calligraphy nib. The price of the Prera varies widely. I’ve seen it for as high as in the $70s and as low as the mid $30s.

I agree with the person who said to get the one you like. But price check because you can find deals. I got the turquoise Retro Pop at walmart.com for just under $10.

Posted Image

I am looking for a "help" page for those who want to have such a pen.

...‹snip›...

Personally, I will not buy such pens as I have MORE than enough already.

Someone who "[wants] to have such a pen", having already come to that conclusion himself/herself, only needs to know how and/or from where to acquire one at that time. We cannot possibly tell them ahead of time all of the channels from which he/she can obtain "such a pen" (since they come and go), much less which seller or outlet would be offering it most cheaply – inclusive or exclusive of shipping charges and applicable taxes/duties – at that point in time.

For people who don't know if they want a Pilot Prera, MR (of which Metropolitan is just one of the ranges in that line), Kakuno and/or Explorer pen, and whether one or more of those pens would satisfy their non-Pilot-specific requirements, that's a different story and how an overview would help. However, I'm sure there are already tonnes of online reviews published for each model, that the interested prospective buyer can seek, find and pore over as due diligence. We shouldn't try to pre-empt someone's decision-making approach and/or process. You're not going to get a page where a random Joe Consumer (as much as he/she may be part of the fountain pen user 'community') will find all he/she needs to know, as a one-stop shop, to make a sufficiently informed decision before clicking the Buy It Now button.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

More accurately, only the Prera line has demonstrators. There are several opaque Prera models, and they are not exclusively for the Japanese domestic market, either; see https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Prera-Fountain-Pens/ct/410

Thanks for the clarification! I can see how my original statement was confusing.

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

Context: I have one Metro, several (ahem) Preras, and six Plumix (the nibs of some of which have been swapped out into Preras).

As has been mentioned, or at least alluded to, the feeds and nibs of these pens are interchangeable, including those of the Plumix-- which I'm guessing means the Penmanship is included as well, although I don't have one of those with which to confirm.

• All are snap caps so that's a non-factor.

But but but-- I'll never forget the first time I handled a Prera and experienced its particular 'runway snap' sensation-- the smoothly frictioned run-up to the decisive snap.

Ahhhhhhhh.

I enjoy reliving it on a regular basis! My beloved little Stargazer's snap is similar, but not as definitively lovely. I do hope the plastic(s) that enable the Prera's particular snap sensation hold up....

I don't understand why the Prera is priced so much higher in the US,* nor why-- at the higher price/tier-- its nibs lack even the functional adornment of those on the Metro. [The Plumix nibs are not decorated, but sport more text.]

*The ~$25 price tag straight from Japan seems about right, which is how I acquired all but one of mine, and why.

Not that they are on this list, but I do not recommend the Plumix pens for regular use, which for me includes whole-pen cleanouts after semi-frequent ink switching. (I bought them as ink testers and italic nib donors, and am using them as such). Mine are wearing out in short order-- the caps losing thread stop, the sections increasingly unable to hold nibs and feeds steady, and so forth. I think they would do well as intended, sections and nibs left intact, more gentle flushing, etc.

The Metro is excellent for what it is, a utilitarian pen that can easily withstand the rigors of most new users and a variety of EDC bags alike. For me, its shape and weight are not as pleasing as other options (read: Prera), and while its sharper step isn't a dealbreaker, it becomes noticeably less desirable in comparison to pens of similar size and design that actually delight. See: Prera. :-)

~ S.

@Spelikan, yes, the nib and feed from a Pilot Penmanship can be swapped into a Pilot MR and vice versa.

I haven't had a problem with my Plumix pens yet as ink testers. I use the aerometric converters that are supplied with Japanese and North American stock of Pilot Cocoon/MR pens in them, and I don't flush them any differently from any other Pilot pen I have.

Kakuno has a demonstrator.

You're right. I didn't know that such a model (FKA-1SR-NC) existed – maybe because the Kakuno never interested me as a prospective purchase – and I stand corrected gladly.

IIRC it is only with an EF nib.

No, but it is the only Kakuno model in which one can get an EF nib out-of-the-box; see http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/kakuno/

Kakuno demonstrator only appeared recently afaik, like in this year.

The others appeared 4-5yrs ago? Came out in 2 phases if I remember vaguely, one lot had cream barrels the other had dark.

Pilot has made a few special editions but mostly only for JDM. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed clear Kakuno has same unique smiley face on all 3 nib sizes :P unlike the coloureds where M is :) and F is ;) winky.

Found some clear Plumix too... heh, acquired.

Also found Explorer FP :D also acquired. Seems to be made from anodised aluminium tube with injection molded plastic ends. Plastic section. Feels extremely light with zero heft.

Whoops, turns out I didn't buy Plumix but the Penmanship instead. :) Plumix supposedly has lumpy barrel, mine is smoothly tapered like a deskpen.

Speaking of deskpen, found some Platinum deskpens in red & black. Looked a tad plasticky, spent my sheckels on Pilot Petit 1/2/3s instead.

Platinum also has a deskpen "Fountain Pen for Carbon Ink" - Tagline "Cleanly! Plainly! Non-smudge! with light and water resistant pigment ink"... interestingly it looks nicer made than deskpen above although it was priced same.

Speaking of deskpen, found some Platinum deskpens in red & black. Looked a tad plasticky,

No more or less plasticky than Platinum and Sailor desk pens at the same price point, really. (I have several of each.) Actually, no more plasticky than the old 78G for that matter.

Edited by A Smug Dill