Need A Recommendation On Slim Pen

Eric2018

The CP1 is a great pen.

I also have an Aurora Hastil - no idea why I didn't think of it - that is a pleasure to look at, but for some reason, I haven't become "one" with it.

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexwi

• Mech-for-i

• Honeybadgers

• BaronWulfraed

I second the choice for the Kaweco Liliput.

A more classy choice would be to hunt down a Sheaffer Targa Slim somewhere. They're not hard to find, have excellent nibs and are top-quality all-around. And they're slimmer than slim. The only things that'll fit in there are short standard-international Waterman cartridges and the small plunger-type Kaweco "toy-converter". I use the latter and am very happy with it.

fpn_1544028912__img_0361.jpg

^---My Targa Slim XF next to its larger sibling.

I just thought of another one: Waterman Preface.

This pen is waaaaay under-rated. I have one and it's fantastic.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

How about a Waterman Hemisphere or a Cross Century II?

IMHO these are slim and would be comfortable writers. They are also good sturdy pens that can stand the day-to-day rigours of being carried around in a diary.

Edited by brohan

The Lamy CP1 is a nice writer. The Waterman Hemisphere is decent also. I bought one with a scratchy nib, but nothing a little micro mesh couldn't fix.

Wow, the only thing I can imagine thinner than this would be a nib mounted directly on a cartridge or converter.

Alex

fpn_1512410810__nov2017haul-h703.jpg

Hero H703 Satin Champagne Gold , standard 4B hexagonal pencil

Edited by Mech-for-i

Among inexpensive pens I can second the Baoer 801 which has a metal exterior and is 0.40" (about 10mm) in diameter. This is about as thin as you can get and still use international cartridges and converters.The Wing Sung 238 appears to be metal as well and is 0.36" (about 9mm) in diameter. Bottle fill only but a large capacity for the diameter. You can find reviews of both on FPN.

The red lacquer Pilot I showed earlier (and don't know the model of, and likely starting to be considered antique given it is nearly 40 years old) comes in at 0.337" (dial caliper, measured just below the cap/barrel ring area). Wish I knew the model as it would be useful for web searching.

Sheaffer Fashion and Aurora Hastil are slim pens under 100 $, and the MB Noblesse, though outside the price limit, has a sister pen they made for Paper Mate, but it is hard to find, though it is under 100 $ when you can.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Some very cool pens have already been mentioned. You may also take a look at the following:

Cross Spire (the original version of the Hero H703)

Cross Classic Century (pre-2018 version; the budget edition of the Spire)

Faber-Castell NEO Slim

Aurora Magellano

Pilot Cavalier

Jinhao 126

I second the reform 1745. It's a great value and the ones I have are very good writers. I would also suggest the Parker 75 .

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

1745 if thinner is only a tad, but if you look on German Ebay often you can get two for E5.

Has a nice regular flex nib, normally a semi-vintage F....1/2 a width narrower than modern Pelikan. (Gold breath nib.....as soon as you breath on them the gold goes.... :P) Nib is just fine with out the gold wash.Normally an F.

With my 4....three were F and one 1745 an EF.....non-marked...eyeball and scribble. (When I sent my god son pens the three F's were sent.)

The others, P120&125 are not much different....a slight tad longer. I was disappointed when I got both, and neither was much different than the 1745....a slight tad longer, not wider. And went for E10 and E15 back then.....angry.png.....the 'larger' was not larger at all....perhaps a silly millimeter.

( friction feed, but it is possible to twist it out and use a bit of silicon grease.)

The German company Mutschler stopped making pens in the late '90's and sold the tools to China. A pallet of tops comes into Hamburg and a pallet of pen bodies. They are twisted together so are made in Germany. For the price....E5 for two....if you look....even 1 for E5.00 is a good deal.

I don't have an Montblanc Noblesse, but is thin. Could be thinner than the Pelikan 381/Celebry pens (no twist out nib) ...but those are also 'thin' large well balanced pens....and can be posted because they are thin. The Pelikan's have that nice springy regular flex nib.

Esterbrook SJ, and LJ...............and you can hunt up which nib you want.

Snorkel is thin....great balance.....I was shocked to find out the Snorkel was a Large pen, because being thin it handled and balanced like a medium-large pen..

P-75 I think of as a standard pen...but it had popped into my mind as 'thin' when thinking for this thread, when it isn't. It does have great balance posted.......very great balance. Semi-nail nib. For silver a light pen.

Geha 725/35/45 is a thin medium large pen with great balance. Semi-flex inlaid nib, very classy, rolled gold trim. :( Only comes in black and gold, or I'd have more.

CP1 is a very light pen. I gave mine away to get someone started into fountain pens.....has the normal Lamy nail nib.....and I have enough nails. Never thought it particularly thin, just very light.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

agree with cross century; also waterman executive 18k nib, no longer made, but frequently available on a popular auction site, will attractively suit your needs.

The one thing that would go against the Cross(es ) is that they are all cartridge only , which for me kills the deal, the Century II and the Botanica variant can use converter though and its only slightly larger on the girth