When I Switch Ink Brand Favoritism

Tseg

I don't switch Ink Brand Favourites, its the Ink Brand that's caused the change... :unsure:

When i first started filling FPs, Quink was it... worked great in Parkers & Pilots.

Had Sheaffers too, so let's try some Skrip... hey that's good too.

The Parker begat PENMAN... oooh Penman outshone both above... mere mortals need nothing else.

fast forward a few years, Internet begats FPN, go looking for resupply of Penman... uhoh... its gone :yikes:

Today, still have some Quink & Skrip.

finally tried some Pilot ink, its good

Iros are great.

Lamy LEs are kool too.

Edelstein LEs... they're cool too.

Robert Oster because he's ozzie.

MontBlanc is also addictive.

Pelikan 4001... good workhorse for rough use.

Strangely attracted to Herlitz konigsblau, dunno why. Just because its german!?

Bought some Jentle... haven't tried yet.

Bought some 1670... haven't tried yet.

Bought some DeAtrementis... haven't tried yet.

Brought some 2 Monteverde last week, haven't tried yet.

:blush:

still love Penman...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• OCArt

• DrDebG

• eharriett

Well, I only use Pilot pens anymore, so I used Pilot inks with them (the standard, non Iroshizuku inks).

It is really difficult for me to put an ink in these pens which is not manufactured by Pilot.

But recently I discovered Herbin inks and I think I will try to mix up things a little. After using about 400ml of Pilot blue black in the past years, I think there is no harm done if I switch to Bleu Nuit for some time now :)

My first ink was Quink Blue-Black. I found the color revolting. So, on the advice of the same shop (The Art Attack of happy memory) where I'd bought my first round-tip Osmiroid, I bought a spectrum of Dr. P. H. Martin's Brilliant Watercolors, and cycled through them. I wound up buying a few more pens, but they all disappeared shortly after I left college.

Later, I bought a few pens from Levenger (which also were either lost or given away), and finally a Pelikan M200 in blue swirl (my first Pen of a Lifetime) on clearance at Colorado Pen Co, and Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black (a most excellent ink) to go with it. Later I also wound up buying their blue, Waterman Havana (nice), and then Sheaffer washable blue (weak). But the M200, and the blue stripe M400 that followed, got set aside for a few years.

Later on, my brother-in-law got me a Sheaffer PFM-II, which reignited my interest. But nearly all my ink from that day to this has been PIFfed or otherwise given to me. This includes:

Levenger Raven Black. Super dense black. Too feathery.
Levenger Cobalt Blue. A lovely deep midnight blue, but also prone to feathering.
Waterman Black. Kind of washed-out for my taste (back then).
Waterman Florida Blue. I have nicknamed this "I Can't Believe It's Waterman Florida Blue!" because it's so deep, dense, dark, and fade-resistant.
Waterman Purple. Beautiful, but doesn't resist fading well at all.
Noodler's Red-Black. A workhorse that eventually got to be smudgy. Dilution faded it from a nearly black brown to a burgundy that once again, has a workhorse performance profile, resisting feathering, fading, and water.
Sheaffer Turquoise. Well behaved, and while too bright for writing, it's excellent for mark-up.
Parker Quink Permanent Black with Solv-X. After finding this place, I asked my mom if she could locate my Dad's old Parker. By that Christmas, she did, and this ink, which she gave to me. It's quite nice.
MontBlanc-Simplo Black with SuperCleaner SC21. This was found in the records room of a hospital where I was doing health information management clinicals. It's a bit washed-out, but works well. As with the Quink with Solv-X, I'm saving it for pens that need some detergency within.
Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku. I'd suggested to my wife that she buy me a bottle of Iro Yama-Guri, back when it was a contender for The Essential Brown, but the link apparently landed on Ku-Jaku, and she bought that instead. I didn't much care for it, until she bought me a fine nib Aqua blue Pelikan M205 with rhodium trim. It matches the pen perfectly, both for color and behavior.

Then I started buying inks.My current collection includes:

Noodler's original Blue. This (or Eel Blue) is my Essential Blue ink. I love it. It's beautiful. It's (sufficiently) well-behaved. It's very nicely photoresistant.
Diamine Sherwood. My Essential Green, and it's as beautiful a green as Noodler's Blue is a blue, though not quite so photoresistant. And in my pens, it's well-behaved.
Noodler's Borealis Black. I bought this to be my blackest black EVAR!, and it is. It's also unspeakably featherocious.
Noodler's original Brown. I bought this just a couple days before trying a sample of Diamine Chocolate. While Noodler's Brown has all the requisite characteristics for the Essential Brown, so too does Diamine Chocolate, which also has those characteristics, and is prettier as well.
Noodler's original Purple. This is my Essential Purple, being pretty, photoresistant, and doesn't feather much.

My wife also got into buying pens, ink, and (most especially) paper. So there are also her inks.

Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin. I don't much suggest it. She let it dry out in a pen, and it's going to take an ultrasonic cleaner to get the residue out.
Noodler's Widow Maker. Not a bad ink, but too dark for markup and too red for my liking.
Noodler's VMail Midway Blue. Not quite bright enough for markup, a bit too bright for reading, but otherwise quite a nice ink.
Noodler's Rattler Red Eel. My wife concluded that Widow Maker wasn't bright enough, and bought this. It's certainly bright enough for markup, and I think it does have some of the stain-removal properties that Amber credits it with.

Anyway, of The Essential Inks, Black, Blue, and Purple are Noodler's, Green and Brown are Diamine, and blue-black... might just be Pilot, or Diamine, or another Noodler's, or, well, I dunno. I'm open to suggestions -- I'm looking for fuss-free, limited feathering, and photoresistant. My markup inks are Noodler's and Sheaffer. I came close to picking an Iro or two, and still might. I also ought to go through the Blue-Black swabs & samples thread, to see if anything grabs me.

Anyway, my Box of Inks has a bunch of Noodler's in it, but I am not really looking to make it my brand.

• 3 weeks later...

For a while I was loving Pilot Iroshizuku inks, then I bought a few MB, then it became Robert Oster as I chased shading. Last ink I bought was Diamine. I have Robert Oster Blue Water Ice and Diamine Ancient Copper in more pens then any other ink I have right now. When a year ago I had Kon-Peki in more pens than anything else....

At this time when I want a new ink I check RO options first. I do think I might buy more Sailor inks. I only have one bottle right now and it does seems to work best in the couple of Sailor pens I have.