Later Sheaffer Triumph Era Photo Thread 1945-1948

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe vacuum-fil fountain pen in blue c. early 1948. This 5 1/8 inch long pen is the second iteration of the stainless steel cap Sentinel. It has a polished stainless steel cap with quartets of lines engraved at a stagger start above the gold filled cap band. Note the White Dot on the end of the barrel. It was introduced in early 1948 before Sheaffer had solved the problem of mounting the White Dot on the metal cap top but after Sheaffer introduced new heat-resistant plastics replacing the striped celluloids used over many years. It was offered as a Vacuum-Fil in green, brown, burgundy, blue and black or as a Lever-Fill in black only. The pen sold for $15.00 and you can see the imprint 1500 on the barrel. The matching Stratowriter ballpoint was $10.00 and the pencil was $5.00. Sheaffer offered 16 different nib grades. It also has a made in Canada nib though the barrel stamping indicates made in the USA.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSentinelVacBlue_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• ink-syringe

• corgicoupe

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe vacuum-fil fountain pen in black c. 1948. This 5 1/8 inch long pen is the third iteration of the stainless steel cap Sentinel. It has a polished stainless steel cap with quartets of lines engraved at a stagger start above the gold filled cap band. The White Dot is on the cap top in a gold filled eyelet. Sheaffer solved mounting the White Dot on the metal cap top in early 1948 and also changed to new heat-resistant plastics replacing the striped celluloids used over many years. It was offered as a Vacuum-Fil in green, brown, burgundy, blue and black or as a Lever-Fill in black only. The pen sold for $15.00. The matching Stratowriter ballpoint was $10.00 and the pencil was $5.00. Sheaffer offered 16 different nib grades. Note the nib is not stamped Lifetime.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTriumphSentinelDeluxeBlack_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Sovereign vacuum-fil fountain pen in Burnt Umber Brown c. 1948. This 5 inch long White Dot pen sold for $8.75 in 1948 and is made of heat-resistant Forticel plastic, which Sheaffer used to replace the striped celluloids. It was offered as a Vacuum-Fil in Burnt Umber Brown, Persian Blue and Black or as a Lever-Fill in Black only. The trim is gold filled, including the 1/4 inch cap band. The nib is 14 karat gold with platinum or palladium two-tone plating.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SnorkelSovereignBrownVac_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Valiant vacuum-fil fountain pen in Black c. 1948. This 5 inch long White Dot pen sold for $12.50 in 1948 and is made of heat-resistant Forticel plastic, which Sheaffer used to replace the striped celluloids. It was offered as a Vacuum-Fil in Burnt Umber Brown, Persian Blue and Black or as a Lever-Fill in Black only. The trim is gold filled, including the 3/8 inch cap band. The nib is a 14 karat gold Triumph type with platinum or palladium two-tone plating.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTriumphStatesmanBlack_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
This is a Sheaffer Sovereign vacuum-fil fountain pen in Burnt Umber Brown c. 1948.

As curiosity we will say that Burnt Umber color, beside Persian Blue, was presented during the Annual Sales Convention on January 1948, as well Sheaffer´S dealers was given time to sell out their "non-current" stock of striated radite pens before new colors were actively promoted. Consecuently Sheaffer´S did not carry out a national commercial ads campaign of these colors until May 1948.

Edited by RamonCampos

Post II WW pen manufactured before the Triumph this is a little Diana II, factory simbol 33WM a very short model of similar size to a Tuckaway and smaller than Craftsman II, a pen quite unknown (I do not remember having seen it in catalogs or ads) assembling a 33 nib was $3.50 and pencil $2.50. Offered in colors golden brown (striped gold & brown), marine green (striped green & black), black and, as our photo, in carmine (striped black & deep red). Could be obtained vacuum-fil or lever filler.

fpn_1545907939__sheaffer_diana_lazard.jp

Post II WW pen manufactured before the Triumph this is a little Diana II, factory simbol 33WM a very short model of similar size to a Tuckaway and smaller than Craftsman II, a pen quite unknown (I do not remember having seen it in catalogs or ads) assembling a 33 nib was $3.50 and pencil $2.50. Offered in colors golden brown (striped gold & brown), marine green (striped green & black), black and, as our photo, in carmine (striped black & deep red). Could be obtained vacuum-fil or lever filler.

fpn_1545907939__sheaffer_diana_lazard.jp

Such a wee cutie :wub:

• 3 months later...

great pen in great condition :thumbup: , I have one valiant in brown celluloid which is a great writer .

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

Please describe the differences between Valiant and Valiant II pens. I have Valiant pens with different cap band width and other differences but don't know which pen falls into which category.

Your photos are beautiful as always.

Thank you for any information you provide.

Regards,

Craig

• 9 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel Deluxe in green striped celluloid c. 1945-1947. This 5 1/8 inch long pen shows in the 1951 Sheaffer Complete Service Policy priced at $15.00. The Sentinel was the first Sheaffer pen with a brushed stainless steel cap. Note that the Sheaffer White Dot is on the end of the barrel. Sheaffer solved the problem of mounting the White Dot on metal caps in 1948. Sheaffer also changed the Sentinel to a polished stainless steel cap in 1948. This example has a barrel stamping of 1500, indicating the price.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTriumphSentinelIIGreen_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Those are beautiful pens. I like the stamps from the "Fallen Flags" set too. Flags of countries invaded and overrun during World War II.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Valiant II Vacuum-Fil fountain pen in Carmine striped celluloid c. 1946. The pen fills by unscrewing the barrel end cap, pulling out the plunger, inserting the nib into ink and pushing in the plunger with one stroke. This creates a vacuum that sucks ink into the barrel ink chamber. Sheaffer transitioned from the rather pointy ended Triumph pens made from 1942 to early 1945 to the more rounded post war pens in 1945 which started appearing in Sheaffer ads by August 1945. The pen is about 5 1/8 inches long capped and sold for $12.50. A matching pencil sold for $5.00. The 9/16 inch wide cap band and spring loaded clip, a new feature with these more rounded pens, are gold filled. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A over MADE IN U.S.A over 1250, which indicated the $12.50 price. The nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over LIFETIME over REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. over MADE IN U.S.A. over 14K. The Sheaffer White Dot is just above the top of the clip.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTriumphValiantIICarmine_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Valiant II Vacuum-Fil fountain pen in Brown striped celluloid c. 1946. The pen fills by unscrewing the barrel end cap, pulling out the plunger, inserting the nib into ink and pushing in the plunger with one stroke. This creates a vacuum that sucks ink into the barrel ink chamber. Sheaffer transitioned from the rather pointy ended Triumph pens made from 1942 to early 1945 to the more rounded post war pens in 1945 which started appearing in Sheaffer ads by August 1945. The pen is about 5 1/8 inches long capped and sold for $12.50. A matching pencil sold for $5.00. The 9/16 inch wide cap band and spring loaded clip, a new feature with these more rounded pens, are gold filled. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A over MADE IN U.S.A over 1250, which indicated the $12.50 price. The nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over LIFETIME over REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. over MADE IN U.S.A. over 14K. The Sheaffer White Dot is just above the top of the clip.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTriumphValiantIIGoldenBrown_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Sovereign Vacuum-Fil fountain pen in Marine Green striped celluloid c. 1947-1948. The pen fills by unscrewing the barrel end cap, pulling out the plunger, inserting the nib into ink and pushing in the plunger with one stroke. This creates a vacuum that sucks ink into the barrel ink chamber. The pen is about 5 inches long capped. The 1/4 inch wide cap band and clip are gold filled. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A over - MADE IN U.S.A -. The two-tone palladium plated gold nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. over MADE IN U.S.A. over 14K. Note the ribbed section is black and has an ink view window.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSovereignGreen_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Craftsman lever fill fountain pen in Carmine striped celluloid c. 1945-1948. The pen is about 5 inches long capped and sold for $3.50. A matching pencil sold for $3.00. The 1/32 inch wide cap band, lever and SHEAFFER’S stamped clip are gold filled. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A over MADE IN U.S.A over 350, which indicated the $3.50 price. They were available in Black, Golden Brown, Marine Green, and Carmine with gold trim and Pearl Gray with chrome trim. The nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over 33 over MADE IN U.S.A. over 14K. This example is in as found condition and was lightly cleaned for the photo.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferCraftsmanIICarmine_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Craftsman lever fill fountain pen in Black c. 1945-1948. The pen is about 5 inches long capped and sold for $3.50. A matching pencil sold for $3.00. The 1/32 inch wide cap band, lever and SHEAFFER’S stamped clip are gold filled. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A over MADE IN U.S.A over 350, which indicated the $3.50 price. They were available in Black, Golden Brown, Marine Green, and Carmine with gold trim and Pearl Gray with chrome trim. The nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over 33 over MADE IN U.S.A. over 14K. It has an ink view window in the section near the threads.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferCraftsmanBlack_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Some Valiant II examples from my collection:

fpn_1590450619__dsc_0101.jpg

fpn_1590450697__dsc_0098.jpg

fpn_1590450741__dsc_0097.jpg

fpn_1590450778__dsc_0099.jpg

And this one is odd. Note that the grip lines extend the entire length of the barrel:

fpn_1590450871__dsc_0094.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sheaffer called pens with 14 karat gold cap bands Autograph or Signature pens. Sheaffer pens with a wide solid 14 karat gold cap band can be found in advertisements dating to as early as 1917. The idea was your jeweler or Sheaffer could recreate your signature on the cap band of the pen, thus the name.

You can read more about those pens here:

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferAutographPens.htm

Thanks!

Thanks. What a great idea, having your signature recreated on the cap band. I wish I had done that forty or so years ago.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Admiral lever fill fountain pen in Marine Green c. 1945-1948. The pen is about 5 inches long capped and sold for $5.00. A matching pencil sold for $3.00. The 1/32 inch wide cap band, lever and SHEAFFER’S stamped clip are gold filled. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A over MADE IN U.S.A over 500, which indicated the $5.00 price. They were available in Black, Golden Brown, Marine Green, and Carmine with gold trim and Pearl Gray with chrome trim. The two-tone palladium plated gold nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over Feather Touch over MADE IN U.S.A. over 5. It has an ink view window in the section near the threads.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferAdmiralMarineGreen_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!