Later Sheaffer Triumph Era Photo Thread 1945-1948

PenHero

I have dots everywhere. A '37-'42 open nib crest with a dot on the barrel. 2 or 3 Triumph nib Crests (both vacs and lever) that have them on the plunger and, in fact I do have one pen, a Statesman, that has the dot on the top. But it is black. What I don't have is one of the ones with the dot in the bezel. Those always look odd to me.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• ink-syringe

• corgicoupe

Hi, folks!

One of my favorite pens is the Sheaffer Autograph in all its forms over the years. To me, an all black pen with 14 karat gold hardware is more subtle than an all gold pen.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferAutograph_1280_11.jpg
Sheaffer made pens with a wide solid 14 karat gold cap band at least as early as 1917, but the name Autograph didn't come into use until at least 1931. Although this pen appears to be solid black, it's actually black and clear striped radite, as seen near the section thread. The pen also has an ink view window in the nib section on the opposite side of the thread. The 1946 Triumph For Your Autograph pen came in Black Radite cap and barrel with a solid 14-karat gold clip and 9/16 inch cap band and was offered as either lever or vacuum-fil for $20.00 and with a $15.00 matching pencil.
Thanks!

Hi, folks!

As a compliment to the Sheaffer Autograph Vaccum-fil above, I thought I would also show one of the lever-fill pens. In some ways the lever-fill pen is more interesting to me, possibly as they are easier to get into service with a sac replacement.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferAutograph_1280_14.jpg
I date this Sheaffer Autograph pen to 1946 because of the Lifetime Triumph nib, which is not shown in the 1947 catalog. The model is called Autograph II in the 1946 catalog probably to draw distinction from the previous Triumph pens. The pen is solid black and has an ink view window in the nib section. The 1946 Triumph For Your Autograph lever-fill pen came in Black cap and barrel with a solid 14-karat gold clip and 9/16 inch cap band and was offered as either lever or vacuum-fil for $20.00 and with a $15.00 matching pencil.
Thanks!

Beautiful fat lever fill pen with a lifetime triumph nib. I have a Statesman II lever fill in solid black color and the twotone upturned lifetime nib with ink view window in the section. Does the clip on that pen is also solid 14k? I assume, no. Because the 14k clip may have been put only on the expensive Autograph model.

Khan M. Ilyas

Beautiful fat lever fill pen with a lifetime triumph nib. I have a Statesman II lever fill in solid black color and the twotone upturned lifetime nib with ink view window in the section. Does the clip on that pen is also solid 14k? I assume, no. Because the 14k clip may have been put only on the expensive Autograph model.

The 14 karat gold clip was only on the Autograph, Crest Masterpiece and Masterpiece.

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This Sheaffer Tuckaway Autograph Vacuum-fil pen and pencil set c1946-1947 was featured as the cover shot of the Spring 2006 Pennant.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferAutographTuckaway_1280_01.jpg
The full name of the pen was the Triumph Tuckaway For Your Autograph, cap and barrel made of Black Radite and fitted with a solid 14 karat gold Triumph nib. The clip and 9/16 inch cap band are hallmarked 14K. Available in both lever and vacuum-fil versions selling for $20; the matching pencil was $15.
For me, Autograph Tuckaways are the most difficult black Autograph pens to find. Tuckaways aren't as generally popular with collectors, but this set is very nice.
Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Triumph Masterpiece c1946. The cap, barrel and clip are all 14 karat gold and hallmarked. Sheaffer featured the Lifetime point in their advertising. A previous owner tried to remove the personalization from the cap band, but it still shows, which is too bad because most of the time, they give the pen a story and are generally done quite well. These are difficult pens to find, especially without a lot of dings and scratches.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTriumphMasterpiece_1280_11.jpg
Sheaffer offered the Triumph Masterpiece in 1946 for $120. The matching Masterpiece Stratowriter ballpoint was $81 and the Masterpiece pencil was $60. Sheaffer did offer them in three piece sets.
I have never seen a Masterpiece Stratowriter ballpoint in photos or in person and would love to see one! I bet that is a very hard pen to find! Interestingly, those pens can be made to work with modern ballpoint refills with a screw in brass widget.
Thanks!

Wow. If I'm not mistaken, the Parker 51 was only around 5 or 10 bucks, which was still a lot of money. However, 120 dollars for a pen back in 46 had to have been astronomical.

Allan😀😀

Hi, Folks!

Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel DeLuxe c1945-1947. The Sheaffer Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel DeLuxe shows in the 1947 catalog listed for $15.00. It was the first Sheaffer pen with a brushed stainless steel cap. Note that the Sheaffer White Dot is on the end of the barrel. Sheaffer solved the problem of mounting the White Dot on metal caps in 1948. Sheaffer also changed the Sentinel to a polished stainless steel cap in 1948.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTriumphSentinelBlack_1280_01.jpg
This lever-fill Sentinel came only in black, while the Vacuum-fil pens came in black, green stripe and grey stripe celluloid. The matching pencil was $5.00 and the matching Stratowriter ballpoint pen was $10.00. The pen is 5 1/4 inches long with the cap on. Sheaffer offered 16 different Lifetime 14 karat gold nib grades for the pen in 1947.
Thanks!
Edited by PenHero
Updated dates - Hat tip to Daniel Kirchheimer

I have one of each of the black, green stripe and grey strip vacuum fillers. Strangely, the black one doesn't have the white dot on the end of the blind cap, which I assume must be incorrect.

I really like the look of it. It looks nice and fat. :) I'm not a fan of slimline pens. It must be my age. :huh:

I would much rather have the vac fill version though. I don't like lever fill pens. I'm always scared I will break them. -_-

I have one of each of the black, green stripe and grey strip vacuum fillers. Strangely, the black one doesn't have the white dot on the end of the blind cap, which I assume must be incorrect.

It would be very easy to swap the barrel with a Valiant barrel, which would not have the White Dot on the end because the Valiant has it on the cap.

It would be very easy to swap the barrel with a Valiant barrel, which would not have the White Dot on the end because the Valiant has it on the cap.

A curiosity to easily to date Sheaffer's models with metal cap: in March 1948 Sheaffer´S "end up learning how to do it steadily"(*) and start to insert WD in metal caps.

(*) -"We did it the hard way just to make sure it´ll stick".

Hi, Folks!

This would be the next iteration of the stainless steel cap Sentinel. The first model, above, has a brushed stainless steel cap, this second model introduced in early 1948 has a polished stainless steel cap with quartets of lines engraved in the cap at a stagger start from above the gold filled cap band.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSentinelVacBlue_1280_01.jpg
The pen is still a Vacuum-Fil or Lever-Fill (black only) but now comes in solid molded colors, green, brown, burgundy, blue and black, instead of striped celluloid. The pen sold for $15.00 and you can see the imprint 1500, the matching Stratowriter ballpoint $10.00 and pencil $5.00. Note the White Dot on the end of the barrel. Sheaffer would solve mounting the White Dot on the cap later in 1948, so there are two versions of this model. Sheaffer offered 16 different nib grades. It measures 5 1/8 inches long, capped.
The pen has a sticker that reads, "Important: Allow 10 seconds for pen to fill after fast downward stroke of plunger."
Thanks!