Wing Sung 601 - Review

WJM

Getting a bum nib on a $10 pen is uncommon enough with this model that I would encourage you to spend a couple bucks on a replacement nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WJM

• Honeybadgers

• KellyMcJ

• Captspiff

The 601 was a nice surprise as it is built really solidly. I really like the filling mechanism and the whole thing's more solid than the 698 imo.

However the nib is a bit scratchy and I find the shape of the pen hard to hold. I prefer to write with the small hero 329 (which unfortunately easily falls apart) or the thick hero 565.

Edited by MuddyWaters

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried to use the original 601 nib in Wing Sung 613. After opening the tines it turned into a wet writer, but has a really unpleasant feedback, bordering on downright scratchiness.

The consolation is that these nibs are cheap and available, so even if one gets a dud, it can be easily replaced.

• 9 months later...

IMG-20190928-082221.jpg

Here's my newest - third one - Wing Sung 601. Solid black, double jeweled. First one in which I actually use the stock nib that came with the pen. It's OK on this one. There's a lot of feedback, but writes well enough. For now I'm leaving it as it is.

My second 601 caps very tightly, which unfortunately sometimes causes leakage while uncapping. This black one is much less tight so I hope there won't be such problem.

Recently Wing Sung 601A was released in a version with golden caps with nice looking patterns. I regret the standard 601 is not available with these caps because that would just be perfect.

Edited by WJM

• 1 year later...

I recently made an experimental caps and trims swapping between golden trimmed Wing Sung 601A and my black Wing Sung 601. It required some minor tinkering with caps (described here), but the results are pretty satisfyng. Double jeweled, black, hooded nib, golden trims and golden "Diamond" patterned cap, looks very classy, mimicking early 51s (goes without saying).

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

An addition to my 601's collection is the "Flighter" version - which is very impressive. The stock nib on this one is the best one so far I've had on a 601.

spacer.pngspacer.png  

Very nice. I like the new cap.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up on an old thread, I’ve carried the Flighter 601 for several months and the nib has evolved positively. 

Also, I maintain it as I do the early Parker 51’s by refilling on a set day of the week. This provides a consistent result over letting them run dry.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

A followup to a followup! The 12k nib in my all-steel flighter has also evolved (I like this expression!) positively. Even the sweet spot doesn't seem quite as fussy as it did at first (but maybe I've just gotten used to the nib). I write with it daily, and refill it on no particular schedule, but it has had the same ink in it since day 1 - Platinum Classic Forest Black. 

I was out of town for about a week earlier this month, and I left a couple of 601s sitting on my office table. I didn't use them for a few days before I left, and it was a few days before I got back to them after I returned, so they sat inked and capped for close enough to two weeks. None of them had any trouble starting up. :D

21 hours ago, Paganini said:

A followup to a followup! The 12k nib in my all-steel flighter has also evolved (I like this expression!) positively. Even the sweet spot doesn't seem quite as fussy as it did at first (but maybe I've just gotten used to the nib). I write with it daily, and refill it on no particular schedule, but it has had the same ink in it since day 1 - Platinum Classic Forest Black. 

I was out of town for about a week earlier this month, and I left a couple of 601s sitting on my office table. I didn't use them for a few days before I left, and it was a few days before I got back to them after I returned, so they sat inked and capped for close enough to two weeks. None of them had any trouble starting up. :D

It is good to hear such a good report and that you also are getting some evolution of the 601 gold nib. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"